Sports Weekly Sox Trade Rumor

Pasqua's Mailman

This week's Sports Weekly "Buzz" section offers a couple of Sox nuggets:

1. The Sox are interested in trading for Carl Everett or Steve Finley. Finley I could see but Everett? Granted, Williams liked Everett's approach last year but a) he has been hurt all year and B) he just signed a fairly substantial contract with the Expos. I don't see that one happening.

2. The Sox don't plan on increasing their 4-year $50 million offer to Maggs. They have no plans to trade him. No surprise there.

3. The Sox had serious interest in signing Paul Abbott. Apparently, Abbott went to the Phillies because he was promised a stable starting gig. Abbott may have been worth a shot but not at the expense of trading for more of a front-line starter. To me he was more of a stop-gap, kind of like Ken Hill was a few years back.

Everett? Once again, that is an interesting trade idea.

But, I think we should get one who can play some D too.

Carl would be awesome to get back but he CAN'T play centerfield. I'm not sure where he would play unless more deal were to come. I also like steve finley but once again with Crede starting to hit there is no where to play any of these guys unless another deal is made. I know finley would play centerfield but then what would you do with willie and uribe, they've been spark plugs in the lineup and both deserve there spot in the lineup.

Carl would be awesome to get back but he CAN'T play centerfield.  I'm not sure where he would play unless more deal were to come.  I also like steve finley but once again with Crede starting to hit there is no where to play any of these guys unless another deal is made.  I know finley would play centerfield but then what would you do with willie and uribe, they've been spark plugs in the lineup and both deserve there spot in the lineup.

Yeah, I agree. Our problem is not offense, it is pitching. We need a fifth starter, not a CF.

While I liked Carl last season..who would he replace? Carlos? Not a chance. Harris? And take away what little speed we have for yet another power hitter? I don't think so.

The only reason I could see this going down is if Maggs is on the shelf for longer than we are expecting, because Carl would be a very expensive fourth outfielder.

or if Maggs is not with the team altogether...

Nah I think we would look elsewhere for a replacement..maybe even give Reed a shot if that were true, but I don't think we'd be trying to deal for Carl at this point in time.

Nah I think we would look elsewhere for a replacement..maybe even give Reed a shot if that were true, but I don't think we'd be trying to deal for Carl at this point in time.

The only thing about that is that Kenny has not shown confidence in bringing up position players he drafts so soon. It usually takes an injury on the SOX for him to bring them up. Ozzie doesn't seem to be big on greening kids in a pennant drive either.

The problem is that year after year the team is always in a pennant drive.

So when does this greening take place?

I hate to suggest this, but what if we traded Konerko for a pitcher(any pitcher...some team, after seeing him put up great numbers, will take him, and may give us a pretty damn good pitcher too), and put Thomas at 1B more often? Thomas's defense is god-awful, but that would allow us to put Everett at DH, or Lee at DH, or maybe try Lee or Everett at 1B as well.

If at all possible, I'd like to see Finley(Finley hits RHP with Willie at 2B and Crede at 3B with Uribe subbing for Harris/Jose/Crede quite often, Jose/Finley split time against LHP))

I hate to suggest this, but what if we traded Konerko for a pitcher(any pitcher...some team, after seeing him put up great numbers, will take him, and may give us a pretty damn good pitcher too), and put Thomas at 1B more often?  Thomas's defense is god-awful, but that would allow us to put Everett at DH, or Lee at DH, or maybe try Lee or Everett at 1B as well.

If at all possible, I'd like to see Finley(Finley hits RHP with Willie at 2B and Crede at 3B with Uribe subbing for Harris/Jose/Crede quite often, Jose/Finley split time against LHP))

Uribe deserves to start. Period. His bat needs to be in the line-up EVERYDAY.

Maybe it would be Carl and another pitcher from the Expos.  If the Sox took Everett off their hands (he isn't paid horribly, its just he's been hurt this year) then it could make it more likely for the Sox to get a pitcher from them.

That's a good point. A young pitcher making less money along with Carl would make sense for Mon. I know Armas is decent, but I don't know who else would be a good fit for the Sox [Day? Vargas?] Don't think there are top of the rotation guys besides Armas.