Official Ortiz/Jones ATL Rumors Thread

redandwhite

Wonderful- trade top prospects to rent a slightly above average pitcher.

It's called Ritchey Redux.

The astros traded one prospect and an overrated closer for an all star center-fielder

Ironically enough, Ortiz was the pitcher supposedly pursued by Kenny before he settled on Ritchie in 2002.

I think Wells + Ortiz > Ritchie

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drew could turn out to be amazing.

Just right now, my money is on Jones, and I think he could be actually had this moment, where as the Braves would be more reluctant to trade Drew.

Our defense would get a whole lot better, and if he started hitting would be great.

I doubt we get either, but I will stay with Jones being my preferrence.

SB

Ironically enough, Ortiz was the pitcher supposedly pursued by Kenny before he settled on Ritchie in 2002.

I think Wells + Ortiz > Ritchie

We were also supposed to get him when he was with the Giants according to Boston Gammons.

I think it was Konerko or Lee for Ortiz.

CWSOX45

We were also supposed to get him when he was with the Giants according to Boston Gammons.

I think it was Konerko or Lee for Ortiz.

CWSOX45

But the Braves ended up giving up quite a bit to get him. Of course Joe Cowley's article in the Southtown says that the Sox tried to sign him as a free agent and that the Braves signed him first :lol:

Oh ya, in that article he also mentions how Anderson, Sweeney and Borchard aren't to be involved in trade talks at least not for Russ Ortiz.

But seriously, a LH hitter good enough to hit in the 3-4-5 area would revolutionize this team. They currently hit .302 Vs lefties and .274 Vs righties. Good righties just shut them down, only Frank and Jose can hit them and they don't get pitched to.

Your "average" pitcher won 21 games last year, was an all star and a Cy Young candidate.

I'd like a whole staff of "average" pitchers like Russ Ortiz!

On a team that won 100 games.

An ERA of 3.81 with an average of 1 walk every other inning. He's had only 2 seasons with an ERA below 4, and those were closer to 4 than to 3.5.

The worst team he pitched for won 86 games - the others won 97,90,95, 100 an 101 (full season).

Pretty much the Ritchey credentials.

On a team that won 100 games.

An ERA of 3.81 with an average of 1 walk every other inning. He's had only 2 seasons with an ERA below 4, and those were closer to 4 than to 3.5.

The worst team he pitched for won 86 games - the others won 97,90,95, 100 an 101 (full season).

Pretty much the Ritchey credentials.

We are every bit as talented (offensively) as any of those 100-win teams he pitched for!

Ortiz is a #3 in AL the way he's been pitching last 2 seasons.

Sox already have a #3 in Loaiza. Buerhle can do a pretty good #2 impression when he is on.

I guess I'll take him cause it would push Garland to #4 spot where he belongs.

I'll take Moyer too while we're at it.

I hope it's not Sweeney. I have a feeling if he was traded, he'd be the one that would come back to bite us in the ass.

I would say Anderson just because he's a 5 tool wonder who would make an imediate impact, even though Sweeney has more potential and will probably have a longer career.

Ortiz is a #3 in AL the way he's been pitching last 2 seasons.   

Sox already have a #3 in Loaiza.    Buerhle can do a pretty good #2 impression when he is on.   

I guess I'll take him cause it would push Garland to #4 spot where he belongs.

I'll take Moyer too while we're at it.

Moyer would be great I agree, I doubt he'd waive his no trade clause to come here. Boston or NY seems like a spot for him to wind up.

i just think KW is focusing his attention the WRONG way. Get someone a bit younger and a bit better in Freddy Garcia... I just have a bad feeling about Ortiz... I'm thinkin he'll end up like Colon for us except worse, walking at the end of the season. I just have a bad feeling about it i guess thats all it is... but what do i know?

I think Ortiz has another year in his contract but I'm not sure..

Russ Ortiz RHP ATL Signed Feb 2001 - 4 years/$8.7M

2000: $0.65M

2001: $0.85M

2002: $2.5M

2003: $4.4M

2004: Team option $5.7M or $0.3M buyout

-Can earn bonuses each year for innings pitched, starting at 195IP