Catchers

OSUBUCKS2

our catchers have got to be the worst in the league. When was the last time one of them hit the ball out of the infield. i couldnt watch sandy alomar hit another weak dribble to second base last night and tonight burke is up with the bags loaded and hits into a tailor made double play. something needs to be done about this

the sox have been spoiled with great catchers in the past years (FISK, Ronnie, OLIVO) we be alright even if kenny doesnt trade for one, sandy is one of the best pitch callers in the MLB he knows batters he is a vetren....maybe his arm is a little weak but his avg is decent and he can be clutch....we are not that deep in a hole just because olivo is gone....i know thats why you posted this.....olivo will be a great catcher, but he wasnt a great catcher yet when he was playing for us he had the arm and defense sandy lacks with age, sandy has the pitch calling and knowledge olivo didnt....knowing a batter and getting him out at the plate is better then letting him get on base and throwing him out at 2nd...i miss big mo too but i am sick of waiting for the future it seems like thats what we do every year I WANT IT NOW

I'm happy with the fact that all three of our catchers are known to call a good game behind the plate. I'm happy with that.

Now - Davis plays the best defense. Sandy calls the best game and probably has the best stick. And Burke calls a good game, and is OK all the way around.

I'd like to be talking about Jason Kendall as one of our catchers in the near future, too. That would make the loss of Olivo a lot less painful. Not to mention add a good stick, great plate-disciplined, good contact, good defensive catcher to our team.

if we got jason kendall id be saying miguel who...

kendall is such a stud..he is a perfect fit for needs..kills two birds with one stone...fills the catching role and givesd us a 400 OBP lead off man..kendall would make us the favorites to win the division

if we got jason kendall id be saying miguel who...

kendall is such a stud..he is a perfect fit for needs..kills two birds with one stone...fills the catching role and givesd us a 400 OBP lead off man..kendall would make us the favorites to win the division

I agree. But that damn contract of his :puke

I agree.  But that damn contract of his  :puke

im hoping with increasing attendance including a sell out crowd tonight might just wake up the sox brass to realize if they made a move like this it might just pay for itself at the turnstyles..i can hope right :huh

im hoping with increasing attendance including a sell out crowd tonight might just wake up the sox brass to realize if they made a move like this it might just pay for itself at the turnstyles..i can hope right :huh

The more contract we eat, the lesser of prospects. I'm thinking if we took on the whole contract (I'm not suggesting doing this), that we wouldn't have to give much more than a bag of balls. Pitt really wants this contract off their hands. He's a hell of a player, just with too big of a contract.

Kenny made his bed when he threw in Olivo in that Seattle trade.  If he wants Kendall, you start with Anderson and Sweeney.  It's a matter of time before he trades them both.  They will never wear our uniform.

How did you come to that conclusion? I hardly doubt that your prediction comes true.

Olivo was only a part time catcher anyway.

I am happy with our catching situation. If Kendall comes a long then that would be great. Just icing on the cake. If not so be it. Like others have pointed out, a good hitting catcher is the least of our worries.

How about another starter or bullpen guy. I would be more for either of those before a starting catcher. Randy Johnson or another lefty setup guy would be nice. I would take eitehr of those before looking for a starting catcher. Just my personal opinon.

How did you come to that conclusion? I hardly doubt that your prediction comes true.

Olivo was only a part time catcher anyway.

I am happy with our catching situation. If Kendall comes a long then that would be great. Just icing on the cake. If not so be it. Like others have pointed out, a good hitting catcher is the least of our worries.

How about another starter or bullpen guy. I would be more for either of those before a starting catcher. Randy Johnson or another lefty setup guy would be nice. I would take eitehr of those before looking for a starting catcher. Just my personal opinon.

:headbang :notworthy :headbang :notworthy

Getting another bat should be a priority. Losing an everyday player hurts more than losing a reliever or a SP. Would getting a 6th inning reliever set the sox up for the playoffs? Hardly.

Seeing how the sox did with Magglio out should show everyone how big a loss Frank is. Some outside help is needed to replace Frank's high OBP. The Sox needed help before Frank got hurt and now it's a critical need.