music

hi8is

I've moved onto "Extraordinary Machine" by Fiona Apple..

Love to hear Miss Fiona play the piano and sing...solid disc...Fiona fans should go "locate" it and check it out, since Sony won't release it themselves.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Apr 4, 2005 -> 10:35 PM)

Love to hear Miss Fiona play the piano and sing...solid disc...Fiona fans should go "locate" it and check it out, since Sony won't release it themselves.

Where did you find it? I love her....

QUOTE(Cali @ Apr 4, 2005 -> 10:20 PM)
I'm saying I find most Indie bands mind numbingly boring therefore I would fall asleep on the off-chance I would ever be caught listing to a show that exclusivly plays said boring bands.

Oh well, to each his own, enjoy your Britney.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 4, 2005 -> 08:53 PM)
Oh well, to each his own, enjoy your Britney.

Yeah I really listen to a lot of Britney :rolly

Can ya not read the tag under my name?

QUOTE(The Critic @ Apr 3, 2005 -> 05:07 AM)
My Chemical Romance - 3 Cheers For Sweet Revenge CD

( I was just OK with the song "I'm Not Okay", but I got this disc from Kid Gleason and I gotta say, it's much better than I expected )

Now I'm not making any assumptions, but I just saw them on Jimmy Kimmel Live, and they have the GAYEST stage presense I've ever seen. Perhaps I'm confusing Gay with Spaz, but either way it was rediculous. And the lead singer was wearing a flak jacket for some reason, I assume if my original assumption was right, he probably wears that when they play in the south.

Oh yeah they sucked too, can't really hit those notes live when he sings. That being said I do like that "Helena" song....

QUOTE(Cali @ Apr 4, 2005 -> 03:39 PM)
"Q101's Indie Night"

God I think I would fall asleep before the DJ could even fininsh annoucning what the program is called.

"Hey welcome Q101's Ind--:sleep :sleep :sleep :sleep :sleep

while I can see that it wouldn't be your cup o' tea, Indie Night is actually a VERY interesting listen. You get to hear a ton of stuff that doesn't normally get played on the radio, plus it's a useful guide to hear who's coming to town. TBA ( airing now from 10pm until 11 ) always ties their playlist to the acts who are coming to town and they have a ton of ticket giveaways. I always hear some new and interesting stuff on Sunday nights.

The new time slots, for anyone who cares, are as follows:

Crash Test Radio from 9 til 10

TBA from 10 til 11

Local 101 from 11 til 12

The only bad thing is that Loveline got the ax. I hope CKG picks it up.

QUOTE(Cali @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 02:12 AM)
Now I'm not making any assumptions, but I just saw them on Jimmy Kimmel Live, and they have the GAYEST stage presense I've ever seen. Perhaps I'm confusing Gay with Spaz, but either way it was rediculous. And the lead singer was wearing a flak jacket for some reason, I assume if my original assumption was right, he probably wears that when they play in the south.

Oh yeah they sucked too, can't really hit those notes live when he sings. That being said I do like that "Helena" song....

I don't know or care about their "orientation", but the lead singer does come off a bit girlish, for lack of a better term. He's got that whole vampire thing going on, which seems silly to me, especially since no one else in the band is doing it.

The disc is really great, though. And when I saw them open for Face To Face he was able to hit all his notes with no problem. They were very impressive live, IMO.

QUOTE(Cali @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 08:12 AM)

I was joking with the Britney comment, but this ^ whole deal is just rich.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 10:00 AM)
MCR uses major pitch correction.

in concert, too?

like I said, they sounded very good live as well.

even if they do use pitch correction, I don't really care.

I'm certainly no "street teamer" of theirs, and I'm not interested in a debate about their talent or lack thereof.

I didn't expect to like the CD at all, I had to be kinda talked into taking it for free, but it's really solid, in my opinion. I was pleasantly surprised.

Hey, I didn't talk you into it. You dropped me a line saying you had been getting into the song and wanted to give them a shot. Sheesh. I ain't no street team member for them (or anybody for that fact) either.

Now the Marillion I had to talk you into. Maybe you are getting them mixed up. I know that they both wear make-up. Fish is the guy with the gills, remember?

As for MCR, they might be using some pitch stuff now, but this is not their first release, and from what I have been told, they sound the same now as they always have. I would bet that they do some touch up work, but nothing drastic. I also can find no real evidence of pitch work on the CD, and you can usually tell a computer voice from a natural voice, and his voice sounds pretty natural to me, aside from the ultra fancy production work you get with any major label now days. Heck, the guitars sound more "fake" than his voice does.

As for stage mannerisms, please. If we were to judge a person's sexuality by their performance on stage, I am afraid many, many, many people out there are Gay. Plus, if movements are the key to sexuality, you mean to tell me he was moving on stage like Rob Halford???

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Apr 4, 2005 -> 10:35 PM)

I think between Fiona Apple and Tori Amos are two of my favs to listen to them play the piano and sing .... Those two are awesome to just sit back and listen to.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 11:48 AM)
Hey, I didn't talk you into it. You dropped me a line saying you had been getting into the song and wanted to give them a shot. Sheesh. I ain't no street team member for them (or anybody for that fact) either.

Now the Marillion I had to talk you into. Maybe you are getting them mixed up. I know that they both wear make-up. Fish is the guy with the gills, remember?

As for MCR, they might be using some pitch stuff now, but this is not their first release, and from what I have been told, they sound the same now as they always have. I would bet that they do some touch up work, but nothing drastic. I also can find no real evidence of pitch work on the CD, and you can usually tell a computer voice from a natural voice, and his voice sounds pretty natural to me, aside from the ultra fancy production work you get with any major label now days. Heck, the guitars sound more "fake" than his voice does.

As for stage mannerisms, please. If we were to judge a person's sexuality by their performance on stage, I am afraid many, many, many people out there are Gay. Plus, if movements are the key to sexuality, you mean to tell me he was moving on stage like Rob Halford???

Details, details.... :D :P

I was curious based at least in part on your review of it originally, so YES YOU DID TOO talk me into it....sorta....in a way.....kind of.....a little bit.....maybe.....

...and I DO remember you kinda street-teaming for that "Listen Buddy" song you gave me... :D :headbang

...still tryin' to get into that Marillion....that one's gonna take some work....

Oh, and are you trying to imply that ALL "gay" frontmen HAVE to move like Rob Halford???? :lol:

CHRIST, that's a lot of green for one post.....

All I've heard so far is the track they've released as a preview, "Sadie", I think it's called? Not bad. I like Alkaline Trio a lot. Maybe I'll Catch Fire and Good Mourning are my favorites. My favorite AT song is "My Friend Peter", and Matt Skiba has a nice solo acoustic song called "Good f***ing Bye" that I like a whole lot.

After hearing the song on the radio several times, I finally downloaded it, and it has become my favorite song overall.

"Collide" done by Howie Day

The dawn is breaking

A light shining through

You're barely waking

And I'm tangled up in you

Yeah

I'm open, you're closed

Where I follow, you'll go

I worry I won't see your face

Light up again

Even the best fall down sometimes

Even the wrong words seem to rhyme

Out of the doubt that fills my mind

I somehow find

You and I collide

I'm quiet you know

You make a frist impression

I've found I'm scared to know I'm always on your mind

Even the stars refuse to shine

Out of the back you fall in time

I somehow find

You and I collide

Even the wrong words seem to ryhme

Out of the doubt that fills your mind

You finally find

You and I collide

You finally find

You and I collide

You finally find

You and I collide

QUOTE(BridgeportHeather @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 05:56 PM)
After hearing the song on the radio several times, I finally downloaded it, and it has become my favorite song overall.

"Collide" done by Howie Day

The dawn is breaking

A light shining through

You're barely waking

And I'm tangled up in you

Yeah

I'm open, you're closed

Where I follow, you'll go

I worry I won't see your face

Light up again

Even the wrong words seem to rhyme

Out of the doubt that fills my mind

I somehow find

You and I collide

I'm quiet you know

You make a frist impression

I've found I'm scared to know I'm always on your mind

Even the stars refuse to shine

Out of the back you fall in time

I somehow find

You and I collide

Even the wrong words seem to ryhme

Out of the doubt that fills your mind

You finally find

You and I collide

You finally find

You and I collide

You finally find

You and I collide

YES!!! Finally someone who listens to something similar to me :cheers

I would say I'm a huge MEtallica fan, but I'm afraid Kid Gleason will jump all over me and tell me how 'JEthro Tull' is a better metal act.

I also like lots of classic rock...Zeppelin, Beatles, STones....lots of newer rock/metal....Godsmack, Marliyn Manson, NIN...

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 05:42 PM)
I would say I'm a huge MEtallica fan, but I'm afraid Kid Gleason will jump all over me and tell me how 'JEthro Tull' is a better metal act.

....lots of newer rock/metal....Godsmack, Marliyn Manson, NIN...

Nah, I'll just jump all over you for liking crappy music.

Lordy, I hope your stuff about me was meant to be in green there. I'm not some Tull freak, I just thought after 17 years the Metallica fans would have let that Grammy loss go, but I guess not. I like SOME Tull, and only have two albums of theirs. So are they the better Metal band? No. But they are the better band. :P

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE(winodj @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 08:28 AM)
Any band that releases a forty five minute LP that consists of one song, deserves some credit.

I respect your opinion, but I couldn't agree less.

Give me 15 3-minute songs over one 45-minute sprawling collage any day of the week.

I've always felt that any musical thought can be conveyed in 3 minutes, and anything more than that is filler. Limiting? Probably, but I'm too old to change that now.