Torii go bye bye

Palehosefan

Well you can't expect Ozzie to come out on the TV or papers and say "We are going to get Torii Hunter". If he did his fine and suspension would be assured then when it did happen. I think this will make some of the Twins hitters a bit nervous as well. Wondering who is going to get hit and when it will happen.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.suntimes.com/output/deluca/cst-spt-deluca271.htm

I heard the quote from Torii Hunter last night (as several of you did in the other thread) and was almost certain it would likely find its way into local newspapers.

Now, above all else, issuing death threats is completely uneccessary, but is there any chance that maybe Hunter misheard a comment from the fans?  Our fanbase has come under tremendous scrutiny for the numerous on-field incidents and Tuesday night brawls, so isn't it a possibily Hunter singled out several words and percieved it as a death threat?  With the crowd bellowing in back of him, maybe he was anticipating a fan incident and conditioned himself to isolate threatening words.

Alright, so I admit it may be a distinct (if not improbable) reason, but what would possess a fan to lean over the rail and threaten Hunters life? Alcohol? Probably.  I would love to hear if any Soxtalk members were close to this incident and could either validate or dismiss Hunters claims.

It just burns me when a dumbass takes it within himself to act tough and give our fanbase more bad publicity.  This should be another fun afternoon of Sox bashing on the local radio stations.

Timo Perez has one of the best arms in the league?

Hell Torii Hunter in CF and Rowand in RF... I'd take it hehe

I guess if that happened, and our fans wanted to throw the ball back after a home run by the opposition, they could try and aim for Torii's head. ;)

ozzie had to say what he said to the media so no warning would be issued. i dont care what the sox say to the media about lorrie hunter and martha stweart or any other stupid twin. ozzie said something in the clubhouse and they will retaliate. no warnings where issued so im not worried that ozzie wont retaliate. i want them to hit martha stewart or lorrie hunter in the mouth or head.

Now, Hunter is a moron for making statements like he did with his "yo playa" gansta bulls*** ... and I bet the fans were way out of line too.

Naaa. Just yelling you suck, b****, called him a little girl a few times.. then he mumbled back using his best ebonics, and that's what got the crowd saying they would kick his ass. At that point the worst was a "Torii sucks" chant. Then the ump came over and told HIM to STFU. The crowd was no worse than the usual Sosa bating.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/deluca/cst-spt-deluca271.htm

I heard the quote from Torii Hunter last night (as several of you did in the other thread) and was almost certain it would likely find its way into local newspapers.

Now, above all else, issuing death threats is completely uneccessary, but is there any chance that maybe Hunter misheard a comment from the fans?  Our fanbase has come under tremendous scrutiny for the numerous on-field incidents and Tuesday night brawls, so isn't it a possibily Hunter singled out several words and percieved it as a death threat?  With the crowd bellowing in back of him, maybe he was anticipating a fan incident and conditioned himself to isolate threatening words.

Alright, so I admit it may be a distinct (if not improbable) reason, but what would possess a fan to lean over the rail and threaten Hunters life? Alcohol? Probably.  I would love to hear if any Soxtalk members were close to this incident and could either validate or dismiss Hunters claims.

It just burns me when a dumbass takes it within himself to act tough and give our fanbase more bad publicity.  This should be another fun afternoon of Sox bashing on the local radio stations.

I did not hear "I'm going to kill you". Several "you need your ass kicked".. but no kills.

Naaa. Just yelling you suck, b****, called him a little girl a few times.. then he mumbled back using his best ebonics, and that's what got the crowd saying they would kick his ass. At that point the worst was a "Torii sucks" chant. Then the ump came over and told HIM to STFU. The crowd was no worse than the usual Sosa bating.

That's good, I'm glad you heard it and the fans didn't go overboard.

Hunter jawing back to the fans just shows he'll stick up for himself, and that's ok, if it were a White Sox player in the same situation we would all be happy.

I would have expected Guillen to maintain his composure after the game, and he did. There would've been no sense for him to lose his cool in public, that would've gotten warnings issued for tonite.

I do hope though, that this issue is addressed in the clubhouse. After sleeping on it, I'm still very disappointed things weren't handled in last nite's game by Jackson in the 9th. Jackson and Hunter are friends from their Twins days but business is business. Sox players (or Jackson in particular, maybe Rowand on that 2nd base play) also had a chance to get the fan base further behind them. Right or wrong, Chicago fans like a team that won't take s***.

Our guy got put in the hospital on a play that was questionable - at best. The Twins generally play good hard aggressive baseball, that's why they have won more than us. We showed again last night we have much to learn in that department. First pitch from Jackson = Hunter gets knocked down ... didn't happen, now we have a carry over.

I wonder how Jamie Burke feels today. Not only his headache and blurred vision, but about Mike Jackson.

IMO.. that reporting was a tad bit over-stated.  :ph34r:

I'd agree, I think Burke will be fine and his trip was precautionary. Had he been severely hurt, Buehrle wouldn't have been the one taking him to the hospital.

I'd agree, I think Burke will be fine and his trip was precautionary.  Had he been severely hurt, Buehrle wouldn't have been the one taking him to the hospital.

Exactly. And he was signing before they drove away.