Ozzie and KW on the same page

beck72

From the Daily Southtown

Sunday, August 29, 2004

By Joe Cowley

Excerpts"

"Kenny (Williams, the Sox general manager) respects my job," Guillen said. "We're on the same page. I talk to him all the time. I like to know his mind, he knows my mind. The way we're doing stuff, it's going to be good for the organization because most of the time we think the same way.

"I don't care (about Borchard's signing bonus) — if he can't play he can't play. When we go to the winter meetings and I think this kid can't play in the big leagues for me, he's not going to be here, I don't care how much money they invested in him."

-------------------------------------

Going by Ozzie's comments, fans should expect Ozzie to have a lot of input on player personnel. I'm glad Ozzie can get "his" type of players. He inherited most of the guys on the roster, and this year showed him what the guys were capable of.

It also sounds like Borchard is the only young guy he needs to get a look at. Once they know what all the current guys on the roster can do, then they can see who will or will not be around for 2005. That means guys like Harris, Uribe, Crede have been evaluated. It looks like even vets are being evaluated for 2005 as well, like Robbie and Everett. Why else would they be getting time over young guys this late?

Whatever the case, I'm glad to hear KW and Ozzie are on the same page and able to work together. It worked for the Koch trade and getting Garcia and Davis. I'm sure KW can use some of Ozzie and Joey Cora's knowledge of current players. In some ways, KW has seemed "out of touch" with young ballplayers, and relied on "old school" vets a little too much. I think KW's done a good job. Yet I think Ozzie and Co. have a better grasp of the young players the Sox need to re-tool this organization. Kw seems to be listening and it can only help the club

I know some people hate KW, but I do think he is a good GM. Even though I question the trades of Alomar and Everett (Round 2 of each time) the 2 earlier this year with getting Garcia and Davis have really worked out and trading Koch can only be a plus. If there was one thing I'd like to see for next year, it'd be fewer trades because I think having 5 trades in under a year can ruin team chemistry a bit even if you have a manager like Ozzie.

"I don't care (about Borchard's signing bonus) — if he can't play he can't play. When we go to the winter meetings and I think this kid can't play in the big leagues for me, he's not going to be here, I don't care how much money they invested in him."

Don't hold back Ozzie, tell us how you really feel :lol: , I love it, and I agree 100%. Kenny should be doing whats best for the team, regardless of Borchards signing bonus.

I think Ozzie and KW could be a very good team. KW is a very smart man and most of his trades have been on the money. If he could go out and get some guys that Ozzie could manage well, "grinders" per sey, we couold have a winning combination. Over the next couple years, we could have an overhaul of speed, defense, and average.

To be complelty honest, I really beleive there are 1 to many holes in this team right now that can be filled in one off-season.

That's why I get sick to my stomach when people want us to use all of our free agent money on signing a Carlos Beltran, instantly thinkin 1 big name will take us to the promise land. Didn't they watch Pay-Rod and the Rangers for the past few years. ;)

Speaking of Ozzie in yesterday's pregame interview it was interesting to hear him talk about the 3 guys he pushed to bring north out of camp... Adkins, Cotts, and Gload.  Not too bad really.

Adkins has been a pleasent suprise this year, he's got a nice future in the pen. Cotts has been pretty unlucky, and still needs to work on his control a lot, but his potential is still there to see. Gload has been a good grinder guy of the bench who doesn't complain bout his role and is happy to be where he is today.

Speaking of Ozzie in yesterday's pregame interview it was interesting to hear him talk about the 3 guys he pushed to bring north out of camp... Adkins, Cotts, and Gload.  Not too bad really.

Rooney asked him about Adkins giving up home runs, and Guillen said on one of them, the guy just hit a good pitch. He didn't seem too worked up about it. It was more of "as long as they don't walk guys. If they walk guys I can't see what they bring to the team."

I'm interested to see who they call up and how Guillen uses them.

Maybe I'm reading into things, but Ozzie seems to be really down on Garland and Harris in particular. Those two seem to catch the most flak, in terms of criticism.

Rooney asked him about Adkins giving up home runs, and Guillen said on one of them, the guy just hit a good pitch.  He didn't seem too worked up about it.  It was more of "as long as they don't walk guys.  If they walk guys I can't see what they bring to the team."

I'm interested to see who they call up and how Guillen uses them.

Maybe I'm reading into things, but Ozzie seems to be really down on Garland and Harris in particular.  Those two seem to catch the most flak, in terms of criticism.

Like I said before, the writing is on the wall... right or wrong, Jon Garland will not be a Chicago White Sox next year.

If I were GM, I'd build the 2005 Sox around the following players...

Buehrle

Garcia

Contreras

Lee

Rowand

Thomas

Maybe Marte, Shingo and Cotts

Anyone else could be traded, or let go as free agents. We need to upgrade at C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, RF, 2 starting pitchers, a bullpen, and bench. We need solid defensive players, who are baseball-savvy, know how to run bases, and won't make the mental errors that lose ball games.

The Sox' philosophy is, "Why get good players when you can get cheap players.".

It hasn't been the "cheap" players who have kept the Sox from winning since 2000 [for instance this year, guys like Perez, Politte, Shingo have been decent pickups and have helped the Sox]. It's been the "stars" who have gotten big money [the $5 mill + guys] who should carry the team who haven't gotten the job done. The Twins have shown how team salary isn't necessary for a team to win consistently. But spending big money on the right guys is.

Ok, last season KW thought a new manager would solve everything so he did very little in the offseason. Hopefully that will change this offseason.

This year showed almost all Sox fans how the core of the Sox needs to be rebuilt/ retooled/ changed. I think most people gave KW the benefit of the doubt, that trading vets wasn't the way to go. That maybe Jerry Manuel didn't get the most out of the core of the Sox 2000 team.

The Sox inconsistency this year clearly showed how badly they need the "grinders" he talked about last year. Big changes should be coming.