READ THIS POST-NEW SOXTALK POSTING POLICY

southsider2k5

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok... i just side with the founding fathers and Hugo Black on this issue...

You have the right to disagree with this policy. No problem there. You do not, however, have the right to call someone a f***ing moron.

Though, at times, that might seem like an appropriate thing to do.

You have the right to disagree with this policy.  No problem there.  You do not, however, have the right to call someone a f***ing moron.

Though, at times, that might seem like an appropriate thing to do.

Classic!

:D

ok... i just side with the founding fathers and Hugo Black on this issue...

Actually you are not. All businesses have the right and I would add responsibility to remove unruly patrons. If you walked into McDonalds and started screaming obcenities and claimed 1st Amendment protection, how long do you think they will let you stay?

Freedom of speech does not mean you can spout whatever you want in any forum you want. With thatr right comes the responsibility of knowing when and where it is appropriate. The classic example is your right to free sppech does not allow you to scream Fire! in a crowded theater.

Actually you are not. All businesses have the right and I would add responsibility to remove unruly patrons. If you walked into McDonalds and started screaming obcenities and claimed 1st Amendment protection, how long do you think they will let you stay?

Freedom of speech does not mean you can spout whatever you want in any forum you want. With thatr right comes the responsibility of knowing when and where it is appropriate. The classic example is your right to free sppech does not allow you to scream Fire! in a crowded theater.

Another classic!

You guys are on a roll today! :D :headbang

In light of recent changes and occurances that happened here we have been reviewing the way things happen at Soxtalk.

First of respect for other posters seems to be at one of the lowest points since I have been on Soxtalk. Personal attacks happen for seemingly less and less of reasons. After much discussion about this as a group, we feel there are no good reasons for personal attacks on the board. We encourage all debate on topics, and we don't want to ever see that change. That is why we give you all so many more freedoms than your typical message board. But all personal attacks do is make Soxtalk a more hostile enviornment than it has to be, and they serve no useful purpose what-so-ever. We also feel that this new policy in no way will take away from your posting experience here, in fact quite the opposite. We think if people get back to the subjects at hand, instead of personal attacks the discussion and quality of the board will be even better.

So now from now on we are asking you guys to stick to the debates at hand. We don't want to see people called names or addressed with terms of derrision, of any sort. That goes from calling someone stupid or an idiot, all of the way up to labeling people with unacceptable terms of hate or stereotypes.

As always feel free to offer your opinions to this, whether it be here in public, through PM or emails.

Thanks

I'm all for the new policy. Just do not enforce it arbitrarily. The same rules should apply to ALL posters.

Peace.

censorship is bulls***.... while hate speech is not protected by the first amendment... i believe we all have the right to call one another a moron or an idiot or a mother f***ing mongoloid....

not trying to be a rosa parks here, but anyone who thinks this policy is a good idea is wrong.

in fact... it sucks

:usa

I (also) agree with you, Indy.

I hate censorship.

However, I can see that there are times when it is necessary. That being said, I have to reiterate that (since I'm sure the "new rules" are directly aimed at me) the new rules, if they are going to be applied, have to be applied to EVERYONE, and have to be applied "across the board", not arbitrarily.

I'm all for the new policy. Just do not enforce it arbitrarily. The same rules should apply to ALL posters.

Peace.

You are 100% correct. I also believe that all mods and admins should be held to an even higher standard. If they cannot model acceptable behavior they should be replaced.

I (also) agree with you, Indy.

I hate censorship.

However, I can see that there are times when it is necessary. That being said, I have to reiterate that (since I'm sure the "new rules" are directly aimed at me) the new rules, if they are going to be applied, have to be applied to EVERYONE, and have to be applied "across the board", not arbitrarily.

Seriously, it wasn't even thought of with you in mind, I assure you of that.

But now that you mention it... ;)

Just kidding, I4E. Just try to not lose your temper so fast! :P

Those signs are staying (well, should IMO) I alread see the sign "dips***" was pulled. ;)

After reflecting on this for a couple of days, I went ahead and added the smilies back. The fact is that if someone really wants to rip someone they can type dips***, just as easily as clicking it, so really there isn't much point in not having them.

And if anyone uses them in reference to another poster, it will just be deleted by one of us, and the poster will recieve an appropriate warning or higher.

So enjoy :stupid :dips*** :headshake

I luv smilies :headbang

After reflecting on this for a couple of days, I went ahead and added the smilies back.  The fact is that if someone really wants to rip someone they can type dips***, just as easily as clicking it, so really there isn't much point in not having them. 

Exactly what I said earlier in the thread. :)

Thank you for giving me my signs back.

Now if I may go on...

Me

:dips***

Me

:stupid

Oh, by the way, just to break the new rules.... http://www.thewebs***e.co.uk/idiot.htm

You are 100% correct. I also believe that all mods and admins should be held to an even higher standard. If they cannot model acceptable behavior they should be replaced.

maybe this should be in a PM... i dunno... but does this policy include former posters as well? I dont know, i just think that the little anti-jason thing in the sig of SS2k4's kinda annoying since i personally didnt have anything against the guy... if we're gonna try and not start arguments among posters (about each other and whatnot) i think that SS2k4 should take that off... Maybe I'm being oversensitive but i just think we need consisntancy...

by the way, i totally agree with the policy

maybe this should be in a PM... i dunno... but does this policy include former posters as well?  I dont know, i just think that the little anti-jason thing in the sig of SS2k4's kinda annoying since i personally didnt have anything against the guy... if we're gonna try and not start arguments among posters (about each other and whatnot) i think that SS2k4 should take that off...  Maybe I'm being oversensitive but i just think we need consisntancy...

by the way, i totally agree with the policy

The whole Jason thing is a big joke. Jason crashed the site and lost 3 weeks worth of data while trying to upgrade. It is just our way of poking fun at him. He knows it, and basically everyone else knows it, and he has never said it bothered him at all...in fact it seemed to make him laugh. But If it really bothers everyone I will take it down though.