Shingo not closing next season?

DBAHO

Call me an idiot if you want (well, maybe you better not, new rules and all) but I think we can get Kyle Farnsworth relatively cheap...with the right coaching, and his 95+ mph heat, he can be a dmaned good closer.

If Kyle Farnsworth comes relatively cheap, I'll take him. Hell, Juan Cruz sucked with the Cubs, and now he's a solid middle reliever with the Braves (BTW - that was such a s***ty trade by Hendry, who for the most part, makes damn good trades).

A lower prospect for Farnsy. He can be dominant when he's on - we just gotta find that 'on' switch.

I really think getting a proven closer would be a great proactive move. There is the potential for some pretty good ones to be available, like Wagner and Hoffman(highly unlikely, but possible with a sizeable deal), or Guardado, plus the guys already mentioned. It's clear that they need another arm, so why not add a really good one instead of leaving Shingo closing and adding a lesser guy in the setup role?

I don't think you need a strikeout pitcher as a closer if you bring him in to start an inning. You need a strikeout pitcher when you have guys on base and 0 or 1 out. I wouldn't have a problem with Shingo continuing as the closer, but only use him for 1 inning or less, and remember he is used to pitching about 40 to 50 innings a year. I brought up in another thread that Shingo to me is a prime candidate to implode next year. I would seriously consider trading him. His should have decent value, and he will be 36 years old.

Thinking back to the A-rod fiasco before the season started, if you remember, Scott Williamson was the sticking point for Kenny Williams do make the trade, not Nomar Garciaparra.

With that being said, he's someone that could definitly be looked at in the closer spot for the White Sox, although I don't see the Red Sox giving up on him, injury or not.

Another option, and it's only if he doesn't get his act together this september/in the offseason, but BK Kim.

Personally, I feel the best market, and something that needs to be taken advantage of are these overpaid players who can be had for virtually nothing ala Jose Contreras.

We all know what BK Kim is capable of doing when healthy both as a starter and as a closer, and I think he's in a very similar situation that Contreras was in where he can't perform his best with all the pressure on him.

I really want this kid to succeed, even with that finger situation and all, I just like him, and would love to see him on my second team where he can be the stud he was in Arizona.

Call me an idiot if you want (well, maybe you better not, new rules and all) but I think we can get Kyle Farnsworth relatively cheap...with the right coaching, and his 95+ mph heat, he can be a dmaned good closer.

Add me to that list. Farnsworth has closer material. Maybe a change of scenery is just what he needs. Exactly 8.1 miles south. :lol:

Thinking back to the A-rod fiasco before the season started, if you remember, Scott Williamson was the sticking point for Kenny Williams do make the trade, not Nomar Garciaparra.

With that being said, he's someone that could definitly be looked at in the closer spot for the White Sox, although I don't see the Red Sox giving up on him, injury or not.

Another option, and it's only if he doesn't get his act together this september/in the offseason, but BK Kim.

Personally, I feel the best market, and something that needs to be taken advantage of are these overpaid players who can be had for virtually nothing ala Jose Contreras.

We all know what BK Kim is capable of doing when healthy both as a starter and as a closer, and I think he's in a very similar situation that Contreras was in where he can't perform his best with all the pressure on him.

I really want this kid to succeed, even with that finger situation and all, I just like him, and would love to see him on my second team where he can be the stud he was in Arizona.

You keep trying to fawn off all of Boston's excess baggage on us. What's up with that?

Billy Koch is available.. :ph34r:

The only "swing and miss guys" Coop was saying that I can see as a FA is Benitez, but I don't know hoe much moent he's gonna get in the open market.

Benitez worries the hell out of me as a closer, if he's smart he'll stay with the Fishies.

I hope everyone re-thinks their praise of Farnworth, I am always happy when he comes in games for the flubs, because I know he'll blow it. As for swing and miss guys, they are not always the best closers, look at Kolb's numbers in MIL. He barely ever strikes anyone out and his era and save percentage is great. Rivera is one of the best closers of all time, and his most dangerous pitch is not his strike out pitch, ask anyone is the bigs, its his cutter that shatters your bat and induces ground balls. A close is not always a strike out pitcher, or fireballer (koch!!!!) it takes a killer instinct to close out games, and farnsworth, Kim, Hawkins, mota, dont have it

I mean there are hardly any closers who ever succeed without 95+ mph heat. I can only think of a few....

John Franco 

Dennis Eckersley 

Jeff Reardon 

Trevor Hoffman 

Rollie Fingers

Jeff Montgomery 

Doug Jones 

Bruce Sutter 

Rod Beck 

Mariano Rivera

Dave Righetti 

Dan Quisenberry