Most underrated Sox player ever is...

israel4ever

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Billy Pierce was my idol as a kid, along with Minnie Minoso and Nellie Fox. Nobody ever got less recognition for his accomplishments in the long time I've followed baseball. Nobody was continually matched up against the opponents ace and got less run support doing so. Still he managed to win 211 games and pitch 193 complete games and 38 shutouts. He went 7-2 against Bob Lemon and 8-6 against the great Whitey Ford, 9-6 if you include his WS victory against him in 62. In an age of specialization people forget how versatile Billy was. He posted 32 saves and also played 1st base twice while a new pitcher was brought in to face one batter. They don't do that sort of "outside the box" strategy in today's game. Pierce got pitifully little support in HOF voting while others with similar stats are enshrined. One more thing. Billy Pierce was exciting as hell to watch. It was a real treat coming to the park and watching him pitch. Billy Pierce is one of the most underappreciated players in the history of the game. You'll never meet a classier old school gentleman either.

Jerry Dybzinski.

Just kidding. I still won't forgive him for that baserunning

blunder that cost the Sox a win over Baltimore with

Britt Burns pitching the game of his life.

Most underrated ever??

--Ralph Garr setting the table that one magical season.

--Pudge Fisk.

--Chet Lemon. He was damn good.

--Ken Kravec (again just kidding).

Billy Pierce was my idol as a kid, along with Minnie Minoso and Nellie Fox. Nobody ever got less recognition for his accomplishments in the long time I've followed baseball. Nobody was continually matched up against the opponents ace and got less run support doing so. Still he managed to win 211 games and pitch 193 complete games and 38 shutouts. He went 7-2 against Bob Lemon and 8-6 against the great Whitey Ford, 9-6 if you include his WS victory against him in 62. In an age of specialization people forget how versatile Billy was. He posted 32 saves and also played 1st base twice while a new pitcher was brought in to face one batter. They don't do that sort of "outside the box" strategy in today's game. Pierce got pitifully little support in HOF voting while others with similar stats are enshrined. One more thing. Billy Pierce was exciting as hell to watch. It was a real treat coming to the park and watching him pitch. Billy Pierce is one of the most underappreciated players in the history of the game. You'll never meet a classier old school gentleman either.

I agree. I don't really remember Pierce, but if compare his stats to Whitey Ford, you have to wonder why he's not in the HOF too.