Carl Everett

fathom

Looks like the Sox are trying to make sure Carl comes back in condition;

That's why he will be put on a program this winter by Sox director of conditioning Allen Thomas.

"I need something that's going to help me beat myself up and be able to take it for a full season. That's basically the type of training I want to do."

Everett has been productive when he's been able to play. Including last season, he has hit .303 with 14 home runs and 51 RBI in 94 games with the Sox.

"It's going to be a problem for him," Guillen said of Everett being a starter. "I'm going to play the best guys I can play.

"I think Carl has to show up in shape. I don't think Carl can play the outfield in that shape. He's out of shape, and everybody knows it. I know it and I hope he knows it. I don't want him to use spring training to get in shape. I want him to be in shape when spring training starts. It's up to him whether he can play or not."

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the Sox are trying to make sure Carl comes back in condition;

I am glad to see that. To me it is obvious that when Carl is pissy, he is lazy. Look at his conditioning this year vs last year. He was way heavier, and I have no doubt that is why he had all of the injury problems. The Sox have to figure out a way to keep him motivated so that he contributes next year, instead of rotting on the DL again.

Everett's presence on the 2005 White Sox means they will be playing with a 24 man roster, which means he will be on the DL for a bunch of contrived reasons.

I can't understand hyroglyphics.

What does your post mean?

Are you saying Everett fakes injuries?

"I think Carl has to show up in shape. I don't think Carl can play the outfield in that shape. He's out of shape, and everybody knows it. I know it and I hope he knows it. I don't want him to use spring training to get in shape. I want him to be in shape when spring training starts. It's up to him whether he can play or not."

My question is why in the hell would you trade for a guy in that bad of shape? Regardless of how pissed off you were at Rauch, why in the hell would you give up two players for an out-of-shape, moody player who only has one good season out of every three........ and he just had it!!

Re-acquiring Carl Everett was just STUPID and totally reactionary by KW.

Josh Rupe, Anthony Webster, Frank Francisco, Jon Rauch and Gary Majewski for King Carl.

And you wonder why I wince when I hear the White Sox have made a deal.

Excellent post! Those 5 prospects aren't world beaters, but they have some upside potential. Everett on the other hand, hasn't helped the Sox a bit, and now he's a $4 million albatross around the Sox neck next season, when they desperately need money to fill a number of holes.

Regardless of what any Sox fan thinks of KW, you have to admit that he really F'd up on this year's Everett trade.

Everett's presence on the 2005 White Sox means they will be playing with a 24 man roster, which means he will be on the DL for a bunch of contrived reasons.

If he is on the DL, we could call someone up, therefore having 25 guys on the roster.

I am a big Carl fan, and I think he will have a quality season next year. It is easier knowing you're going to be playing for a perennial contender for a division crown, rather than for the bumbling Expos.

it's professional baseball.

good players don't let the environment dictate their conditioning or effort.

he's stealing money this season.

Your ticket money

Huh? It is more or less known that is what happen to Orlando Cabrera. You're kidding yourself if you agree with what you said.

The point is Super Steve, it is easy to play hard when on a "contender" or when things are going well. A true professional playes hard and gives a good effort ALL the time, not just when it is convenient for him.

When you get these types of players, you run the risk that if all does not go well, you will have a dog on your hands. The Sox need to get away from this kind of player, not gamble that they will be good enough or be able to keep the player happy enough to give an effort worthy of earning his paycheck.

If he is on the DL, we could call someone up, therefore having 25 guys on the roster.

I am a big Carl fan, and I think he will have a quality season next year. It is easier knowing you're going to be playing for a perennial contender for a division crown, rather than for the bumbling Expos.

Carl Everett will never hit over 285 again in his career, I will give up my season tickets if he does otherwise, mark it

OUT

Yo, Steve.

Winning teams need to have leadership and effort from the veterans.

Carl Everett is entitled to have a bad year. That happens. So do injuries. I don't get upset about that.

but reporting out of shape and failing to get into shape is unacceptable. You can't have that on a team. His injury was to his shoulder. He still could have done the running or exercise bike work to get his lard ass in shape. He basically cruise controlled it through this season -- and that's BS.

What you're basically saying is that if the Sox get off to a bad start next season, it will be OK for him to mail it in again.

Not for me.

If he's only going to give 70 percent effort, I'd like a 30 percent cut on the price of my ticket.

You're right on........ Kenny Lofton was another such player. He got off to a hot start for the Sox but when the Sox struggled, his play/effort dropped off. Funny how it got better when he got traded to a team in the playoff hunt.

If players only gave full effort to teams in the playoff hunt, no new team could ever get in, because all of their players would be tanking it. That is unprofessional and not acceptable, yet unfortunately, not too uncommon.

My question is why in the hell would you trade for a guy in that bad of shape?  Regardless of how pissed off you were at Rauch, why in the hell would you give up two players for an out-of-shape, moody player who only has one good season out of every three........  and he just had it!!

Re-acquiring Carl Everett was just STUPID and totally reactionary by KW.

Let's look at all sides here, vs. the 20/20 hindsight vision.

Everett has hit over .300 in his two stints with the Sox if I'm not mistaken. He has contributed, not as much as we all may have liked, but he has contributed.

Maybe Williams could've gotten a more potent left handed bat from some other team, and given up less than Rauch and Majewski. Then again, maybe not. None of us know for sure.

Just curious, how high was Jon Rauch's trade value anyway? Thought so. You yourself talked about Rauch's moodiness and maturity issues many times. I'm sure other teams were aware of it, as were you.

Carl Everett = Moody? Maybe. If he is, tell us some other things you've heard while hanging around the clubhouse. To my knowledge, he's not caused a lick of trouble in the clubhouse, last year or this year. I could be wrong, you may know more than me.

As for not being in shape, there is no defending that. We do know he's struggled with a bad shoulder, thumb, hamstring, and adducter this year. Not making excuses for Everett, but anyone who's ever trained for athletics knows it is difficult to train with all sorts of nagging injuries.

Do you not think the Everett trade was made in anticipation of Maggs not being here in '05? Everett is not the perfect option to be sure. But he is a viable option, and if he approaches what he's done in some of his good years, you have a .270 hitter, 25 HR's, and 85 RBI's off the top of my head.

Or maybe they're going to reshape the outfield (trade Carlos Lee). Wouldn't Everett be a decent option in LF, assuming the White Sox can't either trade for or sign somebody better? I'd say he is.

I can't defend him not being in better shape, but I will say the upside of a good and healthy Carl Everett is at the very least a decent option. Let's not forget it makes sense to have a Plan B for designated hitter too. Nagging foot and ankle injuries to 270 lb. DH's don't guarantee a healthy season either.

It still comes down to scouting and drafting. If that were being done better and the pipeline were fuller, there'd be a lot less sniping about trading prospects.

Let's look at all sides here, vs. the 20/20 hindsight vision.

Everett has hit over .300 in his two stints with the Sox if I'm not mistaken.  He has contributed, not as much as we all may have liked, but he has contributed.

Maybe Williams could've gotten a more potent left handed bat from some other team, and given up less than Rauch and Majewski.  Then again, maybe not. None of us know for sure.

Just curious, how high was Jon Rauch's trade value anyway?  Thought so.  You yourself talked about Rauch's moodiness and maturity issues many times.  I'm sure other teams were aware of it, as were you.

Carl Everett = Moody?  Maybe.  If he is, tell us some other things you've heard while hanging around the clubhouse.  To my knowledge, he's not caused a lick of trouble in the clubhouse, last year or this year.  I could be wrong, you may know more than me.

As for not being in shape, there is no defending that.  We do know he's struggled with a bad shoulder, thumb, hamstring, and adducter this year.  Not making excuses for Everett, but anyone who's ever trained for athletics knows it is difficult to train with all sorts of nagging injuries.

Do you not think the Everett trade was made in anticipation of Maggs not being here in '05?  Everett is not the perfect option to be sure.  But he is a viable option, and if he approaches what he's done in some of his good years, you have a .270 hitter, 25 HR's, and 85 RBI's off the top of my head.

Or maybe they're going to reshape the outfield (trade Carlos Lee).  Wouldn't Everett be a decent option in LF, assuming the White Sox can't either trade for or sign somebody better?  I'd say he is.

I can't defend him not being in better shape, but I will say the upside of a good and healthy Carl Everett is at the very least a decent option.  Let's not forget it makes sense to have a Plan B for designated hitter too.  Nagging foot and ankle injuries to 270 lb. DH's don't guarantee a healthy season either. 

It still comes down to scouting and drafting.  If that were being done better and the pipeline were fuller, there'd be a lot less sniping about trading prospects.

My point is, why in the hell would the Sox not have known he was out of shape? Why trade for a guy who has been injured? Who has not performed well? It is not hard to see that Carl only has one good year about of about every three. I don't have the time nor desire to research all of Carl's past contracts, but it almost sounds as if he gets his s*** together when it is soon to be contract time.

Either way, I am not lamenting the loss of Rauch and Majewski, but stating it was merely shortsighted, if not pointless to trade for Carl again in the first place.

The point is Super Steve, it is easy to play hard when on a "contender" or when things are going well.  A true professional playes hard and gives a good effort ALL the time, not just when it is convenient for him.

When you get these types of players, you run the risk that if all does not go well, you will have a dog on your hands.  The Sox need to get away from this kind of player, not gamble that they will be good enough or be able to keep the player happy enough to give an effort worthy of earning his paycheck.

I don't particularly want players like that, but Carl brought some fire to this team last year. I think he will be good enough to play in the OF next season.

Unfortunately that fire didn't help down the stretch.

That's true, but he is here, and I can only hope for the best. I do like Carl, and as it doesn't seem he has a huge following, his performance next year could be anything. He was an AS last season. What happens if he does come back in shape?