A Realistic Lineup for Next Season

Butter Parque

Yeah but all of our arbitration guys get increases plus the increases for Buehlre, Contreras, etc. Just remember, in baseball nobody makes less money than the year before on the same team.

WRONG!

Last Year's World Series MVP Josh Beckett took a paycut before this season.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My realistic lineup(changes from day to day) would be as followed.

Trade Konerko(1B) to Baltimore for Hairston(2B), Julio(RP), and Gibbons(RF) - I think this is a realistic and fair trade. It addresses a couple of the Sox needs and saves them some money.

Trade Crede(3B), Harris(2B), and so-so prospect(Borchard if they wanted :D ) to Seattle for Pinero(SP) - Jason has got me believing that the Sox could go after a guy like Pinero. Seattle continues with their rebuilding, and the Sox get another quality starter.

Sign Vizquel(SS) - I am not a huge Vizquel fan, but it appears that the Sox will make a legit run at him.

Sign Koskie(3B) - I think he is a perfect fit with the Sox.

Sign Zaun© - I really think the Sox need to upgrade at catcher, and Zaun would be a nice cheap option.

I think this offseason would be realistic, and it holds true to previous offseason trends under the current administration. Most of the changes are made by trade(s) with some minor signings to fill exsisting holes. It is realistic financial with a payroll in the 72-75M range. I do think that the Sox will be active this offseason, and I can't ignore the couple of articles about how only a few players are guaranteed starting spots. With that said, the lineup would as followed:

2B Hairston

SS Vizquel

DH Thomas

LF Lee

3B Koskie

CF Rowand

RF Gibbons

1B Gload

C Zaun

The top of the order has 2 legit leadoff hitter type players. You still have good pop in the middle of the lineup. I also like the potential production at the bottom of the order.

RH Garcia

LH Buehrle

RH Pinero

RH Contreras

RH Garland

This rotation is 10x better than the rotation that started last year(Buehrle, Garland, Loaiza, Schoeneweis, army of 5th starters).

RH Takatsu

LH Marte

RH Julio

RH Politte

LH Cotts

RH Adkins/Diaz/Grille/Munoz

The bullpen should be a little better with the addition of another quality righty arm in Julio. Hopefully Cotts and the other youngster in pen can improve with experience.

OF Everett

IF Uribe

C Burke

OF Borchard/Escobar

IF Valdez

Uribe would be a super utility infielder. With Koskie and Hairston being injury prone, and Vizquel being 38, Uribe should see plenty of PT. Everett is insurance if Gload or Gibbons struggle, and/or if Thomas isn't healthy. He also provides some power off the bench. Burke is a quality backup. Borchard/Escobar are defensive replacements.

The lineup should be just as productive as the opening day lineup(with more than just power though). The starting rotation should be 10x better than this past year. The bullpen should be slightly better. The bench should be similar with two starter quality players. I also don't think that this is too unrealistic.

That lineup looks solid to me and really good if Gibbons reverts to form. I wonder if Bmore would give up all that for Konerko though.

I think they are willing to give up Hairston since they have Roberts. Julio they appear to be shopping but the question is are they willing to give up on Gibbons. If they are, I'd definately do that deal. I like the way the lineup looks and the Pineiro trade sounds fine to me and it was no secret the M's liked Crede. However, I think we'd have to give up quite a bit, but then again Harris and Crede give them some potential, but I'd still think a good prospect would have to be going to the Mariners.

That lineup looks solid to me and really good if Gibbons reverts to form.  I wonder if Bmore would give up all that for Konerko though.

I think they are willing to give up Hairston since they have Roberts.  Julio they appear to be shopping but the question is are they willing to give up on Gibbons.  If they are, I'd definately do that deal.  I like the way the lineup looks and the Pineiro trade sounds fine to me and it was no secret the M's liked Crede.  However, I think we'd have to give up quite a bit, but then again Harris and Crede give them some potential, but I'd still think a good prospect would have to be going to the Mariners.

If you replace Gibbons with Bigbie or Matos, then that deal would look a hell of a lot better in my opinion.

If you replace Gibbons with Bigbie or Matos, then that deal would look a hell of a lot better in my opinion.

Matos was terrible this year but it was probally due to to his leg bothering him a good part of the season. Bigbie on the other hand did pretty well and bats left-handed which is a good plus. But i am pretty sure neither would go in that deal being they are young and so cheap.

Matos was terrible this year but it was probally due to to his leg bothering him a good part of the season. Bigbie on the other hand did pretty well and bats left-handed which is a good plus. But i am pretty sure neither would go in that deal being they are young and so cheap.

Exactly why'd they be a better fit. We may have to give up another prospect to get one of those two, but it could be worth it in the long - term. Bigbie would be an excellent fit especially considering he hits LH.

Here's a winning lineup that doesn't cost much, and still wins with the "smallball" mentality. Once again, it doesn't cost much (which is PERFECT for Cheapass Reinsdorf) .... so money can be spent on the pitching staff.

CF - Dave Roberts, SS - Omar Visquel, RF - Aaron Rowand, DH - Frank Thomas/Carl Everett, LF - Carlos Lee, 1B - Paul Konerko, C - Jason Varitek, 2B - Juan Uribe, 3B - Joe Crediocre

Roberts, Visquel, and Varitek won't cost more than 10 million combined, maybe 12 million. They're cheap, and productive.

The rest of the money should be spent on a proven starter and some relievers that can actually get people out.

Here's a winning lineup that doesn't cost much, and still wins with the "smallball" mentality.  Once again, it doesn't cost much (which is PERFECT for Cheapass Reinsdorf) .... so money can be spent on the pitching staff. 

CF - Dave Roberts, SS - Omar Visquel, RF - Aaron Rowand, DH - Frank Thomas/Carl Everett, LF - Carlos Lee, 1B - Paul Konerko, C - Jason Varitek, 2B - Juan Uribe, 3B - Joe Crediocre

Roberts, Visquel, and Varitek won't cost more than 10 million combined, maybe 12 million.  They're cheap, and productive. 

The rest of the money should be spent on a proven starter and some relievers that can actually get people out.

Roberts is not the top of the order hitter we need and he get injured a good amount. I would love varitek but the chances of him leaving boston are slim to none.

Enough with the Beltran dreaming, it's not going to happen.

As he continues to smash home runs in the postseason, the more we are priced out of the Beltran sweepstakes.

^ ^ This.

Every hit Beltran delivers on the national stage increases his asking price.

The White Sox will not sign Carlos Beltran no matter who they trade to clear salary.

It's a fun dream, but I think that's all it is.

Here's a winning lineup that doesn't cost much, and still wins with the "smallball" mentality.  Once again, it doesn't cost much (which is PERFECT for Cheapass Reinsdorf) .... so money can be spent on the pitching staff. 

Roberts, Visquel, and Varitek won't cost more than 10 million combined, maybe 12 million.  They're cheap, and productive. 

Varitek will get $8 million from Boston, Roberts somewhere b/w 1 and 2 million, while Vizquel could get anywhere from between 3 to 5 million.

Everett has "nothing left in the tank". He's done.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. He's your primary DH option if Frank isn't healthy, which looks more and more possible.

I am not overly optimistic on Everett's future as a Chisox...are you?

Optimistic? No.

Realistic, in the sense that he'll likely be here and play some sort of role in 2005? Yes.

He can be a potent bat as I've said. Since we have this Frank Thomas situation with his foot/ankle, to me it's important to have a veteran who can be a productive DH and also occassionally play a defensive position. He is average at best as on OF, but so is Ross Gload for that matter. Everett is a decent option to bridge the gap from now until Anderson/Sweeney ... IF he's in decent physical shape.

Key offseason for Carl Everett. He's only 33, not that old. He can still be productive, and I think he'll add something to the team. He certainly isn't a guy other teams will clamor to trade for, and that's why he'll likely be here.

He's not the best option, not the worst.

I know it isn't pretty, but if you think about it, its probably the most realistic lineup posted. We can all imagine these trades and everything, but the odds of them happening are slim to none. Yeah it's close to no way that we get Beltran, but I believe that he's the guy we're attacking the most in the FA market and he'd be the guy to send lee out of town.

The key to that lineup (Konerko'less lineup) is the guys who have come up in our system and sat here and done nothing. Its those guys who have to step up and, In my opinion, decide how our offense will operate. We got ourselves into this mess, with our s***-ass scouts, now we're going to have to get ourselves out of it.

I disagree with your statement, and I don't think it is a realistic lineup. If history is any indication, than the Sox will almost certainly make at least 1 big trade(has been the trend under the KW regime). Furthermore, there have been multiple articles hinting at the fact that the Sox will be very active this offseason, and that only a handful of players are guaranteed starting spots. Furthermore, it is highly unlikely that either Konerko or Lee is moved without either getting a good offensive player back in return or finding a good replacement on the FA market. I do think the trades I suggested are very realistic(both personal wise and financially), and trades that the Sox management might consider. In a previous thread I listed 2 dozen(or so) reasonable priced FA that could help this team offensively who the Sox might go after. I think the starting staff is pretty much set(the Sox might sign a cheap veteran as a 5th starter), so I think the Sox will focus their attention on retooling the offense and getting the type of players that Ozzie and company want(higher BA/OBP, speed, and defensive players).

A lot of this depends on who gets traded or if anyone gets traded. I think if the Sox can't land Beltran or any other big Outfielder, that Konerko will be traded. If they get Beltran, then Lee is a gonner. I also believe that if either one is traded, it will be for pitching.

1- Willie Harris (2B)

2- Omar Visquel (SS)

3- Carlos Lee (LF)

4- Frank Thomas (DH)

5- Aaron Rowand (CF)

6- Carl Everett (RF)

7- Joe Crede (3B)

8- Ross Gload (1B)

9- Jamie Burke ©

You could put Rowand in the 2 hole and Visquel leading off but I think Visquel is best in the 2-hole, Rowand is not a true leadoff hitter, and if Willie can't be a leadoof hitter for us, then why is he here? I also think Burke wins the starting catcher job in ST.

* Lineup if Lee is traded

1- Willie Harris (2B)

2- Aaron Rowand (RF)

3- Carlos Beltran (CF)

4- Frank Thomas (DH)

5- Paul Konerko (1B)

6- Carl Everett/Ross Gload (RF)

7- Joe Crede (3B)

8- Jamie Burke ©

9- Omar Visquel (SS)

ok well i like the Willie Harris, Carlos Lee, Thomas, Rowand, Crede and Burke part of it! But i want Magglio is right! Cuz that Beltran guy is not going to be on my White Sox! I do not like that guy!! At all!! So i will not allow him on my team! AND..Hello where is Paul in there! Paul needs to be on the team! there is no way he is going to be traded! so there is no Ross Gload on 1st! i mean i love ross but just not in place of my paulee! and Omar Visquel!? no! Juan Uribe at SS! but no beltran! NO!

ok well i like the Willie Harris, Carlos Lee, Thomas, Rowand, Crede and Burke part of it! But i want Magglio is right! Cuz that Beltran guy is not going to be on my White Sox! I do not like that guy!! At all!! So i will not allow him on my team! AND..Hello where is Paul in there! Paul needs to be on the team! there is no way he is going to be traded! so there is no Ross Gload on 1st! i mean i love ross but just not in place of my paulee! and Omar Visquel!? no! Juan Uribe at SS! but no beltran! NO!

:lolhitting

I love it when you analyze

Sounds like you want to finish behind the Twins yet again. Harris, Lee, Thomas, Rowand, Crede, Burke, Konerko, Uribe, Ordonez ... that's who you want back. That's also the starting nine with Uribe in place of Valentin. No thanks. I don't want to replay lastseason.