Two Guys I think We should sign

maggsmaggs

I'd rather get Williamson and Pedro :lol:

No, Id rather get d lowe, pedro, cabrera, and mirabelli

I like mirabelli and would actually prefer him over ben davis although ben davis IMO still has lots of potential, even to be a top 10 catcher.........

I wouldn't mind the Sox going after Mirabelli, Redmond, or Zaun as a cheap upgrade at catcher. Here are there career averages.

Redmond .284/.348/.362/.710

Zaun .250/.339/.375/.714

Mirabelli .242/.331/.426/.757

If I had to choice, than I would go with Zaun for the follow reasons.

1) He is the only one of the three to get at least 260+ ABs in a season. This includes 338 ABs this past season.

2) He probably has the best plate disipline of the three. This includes a pretty impressive .367 OBP last year.

3) He is a switch hitter.

4) He is probably the best athlete of the 3, and probably has the best speed of the three.

They are about the same age, are similar defensively, and will probably get about the same salary, so I would give Zaun the slight edge.

If the Sox really want to upgrade at catcher and are willing to spend 3-4M, than the guy I would go after is Damian Miller. He is coming off a pretty solid season: .272/9/58 .742 OPS. He has also posted a .740+ OPS in 6 of the last 7 seasons. He has the reputation of being a great defensive catcher. He has caught about a dozen CY calibur starters over the past 5 years. He has also thrown out at least 34% of would be base stealers in every season. His age(35) is a concern, but he has shown no signs of slowing down, and probably has 2-3 good years left.

In regards to Kapler, he would be a good bench player/4th outfielder, but the Sox are in some trouble if they have him as an everyday starter. If he comes for a reasonable price(around 1M), than he would be a decent option.

Damian Miller did have a fine year for a catcher. But he's a scab. He broke from the union in '95 to be a replacement player. I'd just as soon he and Rick Reed etc. were blackballed. Sorry, sensitive topic with me....

I'd like to see Burke get a shot at doing the bulk of the catching with Ben Davis as insurance should he falter. Then again, I always thought Josh Paul deservrd a shot too.

Damian Miller did have a fine year for a catcher.  But he's a scab.  He broke from the union in '95 to be a replacement player.  I'd just as soon he and Rick Reed etc. were blackballed.  Sorry, sensitive topic with me....

I'd like to see Burke get a shot at doing the bulk of the catching with Ben Davis as insurance should he falter.  Then again, I always thought Josh Paul deservrd a shot too.

I honestly have no problem with a Davis/Burke platoon.

Maybe it is just me, but i have a problem with giving the starting job to a 33 year old catch that just got to the big leagues last 2 years ago. We need to sign a catcher pretty bad.

We've got more pressing needs then to be worried about signing a catcher. The key for this platoon to work is that 1 of Davis or Burke HAS to hit over .250 at least.

We've got more pressing needs then to be worried about signing a catcher. The key for this platoon to work is that 1 of Davis or Burke HAS to hit over .250 at least.

Agreed, but i am not exactly cconfident in either doing that over a full year. Neither in my opinion are very good catchers. Decent at there very best.

Kapler is a career backup who, shall we say, appears to have extra help in the weight room to create that body.

Mirabellis is nothing.

We have to do better than that.

I am sure Gabe Kapler takes full advantage of the creatines, proteins, bcaas, efas, etc. but don't think he takes steroids by any means.

He is a bodybuilder, having a body like that is capable with hard work and dedication. Steroids are not necessary.