New Ticket Prices

Rooftop Shots

Get over it.  The Sox more than doubled their payroll in 2001, yet did the fans show up in big numbers?  NOPE  The Sox payroll went up last year, KW went out and got Garcia, Contreras, etc.  Did attendance rise??  NOPE

I think no one showed up because they weren't winning much either to overtake Minnesota for 1st place, but thats just me.

Also, unrelated to the previous quote...why can't the White Sox be more like Billy Beanes Oakland A's. A low cost, high effective rotation, players who hit for average and OBP...and a team who has smart people like Bill James' (or at least his books) read by the front office...just don't understand that.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think no one showed up because they weren't winning much either to overtake Minnesota for 1st place, but thats just me.

Also, unrelated to the previous quote...why can't the White Sox be more like Billy Beanes Oakland A's. A low cost, high effective rotation, players who hit for average and OBP...and a team who has smart people like Bill James' (or at least his books) read by the front office...just don't understand that.

The A's got extremely lucky with their big 3. Not all teams that have used the so called "Beane" model of GMship if there's such a team have been sucessful. Teams like Toronto come to mind. KW and Ozzie do want to move this team into that direction though, hence why they want to go after speed and defense giving up power guys (Konerko). The fans have shown they'll show up in big numbers if we're in the race, which we very much were heading into July. When Frank and Maggs went down though, that killed us, and any momentum we had, don't forget we had swept Minny at the Dome, and seriously looked the goods in our division. If we had some more luck, which many different teams have had over the years, who knows where'd we possibly be.

At least he could have been mean and said Joe Borchard I guess.  :lol:

Wait, we have a prospect named Joe Borchard? Are there 2 guys named that in the Sox system? Last time I checked the only Joe Borchard we had is an underacheiving slug who wont ever consistently see a MLB roster. This is the same guy we could have pawned off on Seattle but KW INSISTED they take a real prospect in Jeremy Reed.

Meh.

This is the same guy we could have pawned off on Seattle but KW INSISTED they take a real prospect in Jeremy Reed.

While I agree with your assessment of Borchard, Seattle had no interest in Borchard whatsoever.

That's not how I heard it.  Supposedly Seattle wanted Borchard and KW talked them into taking Reed instead.  Doesn't really matter now though.

Hey Nuke.. where did you hear that.? I heard Seattle wouldn't touch Joe with a 10 foot pole. :huh

Hey Nuke.. where did you hear that.? I heard Seattle wouldn't touch Joe with a 10 foot pole.  :huh

That's exactly what I heard and read. Seattle had no interest in Borchard.

It doesn't really matter, except it keeps getting brought up and used as evidence of KW's incompetence.

IMO, he's done enough things wrong already and shouldn't be blamed for things he didn't do.

NO! I think Joe Borchard can be the everyday right fielder he's got a bunch of talent and Jason Grilli made strides to be the fifth starter.....

Yeah Grilli made strides to AAA and Borchard's talent is making wind with his swings

Uh, IIRC, Borchard was released from the Mexican League...

He blows, he should pull a Ricky Williams from baseball and go to football.

That's exactly what I heard and read.  Seattle had no interest in Borchard.

It doesn't really matter, except it keeps getting brought up and used as evidence of KW's incompetence.

IMO, he's done enough things wrong already and shouldn't be blamed for things he didn't do.

I am too and from seattle alot, as well as I have many friends in seattle. Seattle newspapers as well as talk shows all said Borchard was offered and turned down because of the type of player he was. he didn't fit the ballpark. Reed is a line drive gap hitter and a speedy guy, which fits the dynamics of the park. Made perfect sense.

Ps Borchard does suck and after next year if he makes no improvment or the sox can't dump him....then the sox will dump him.

I would like to comment on the ticket prices as a subject. it breaks down very simply, we do not have to go. I would stop complaining and watch the game on TV or listen to the radio if you don't like the prices. In addition, many people surmise that if prices go up then we will spend it on players. I say, bulls***. There are several factors including the quite simple one, "they think people will pay more money and they can make more money" I suspect this is somewhat true. They will still have half price night for all the broke and drunk young people, and they will still give away seats for students on several weekday day games in the upper deck, but mainly they are catering to folks like STEFF :wub: who fork over the BIG Money each year, despite the costs.

Ps Borchard does suck and after next year if he makes no improvment or the sox can't dump him....then the sox will dump him.

Wait till next year? :bang :puke

Im eagerly anticipating the excuse he'd use to justify this. While we all know its in hope he'll put together a good season (for trade value), Williams will resort to his "work ethic" and "potential" in confivincing fans.

but mainly they are catering to folks like STEFF  :wub:  who fork over the BIG Money each year, despite the costs.

Well, ya know.. I am rich beyond my wildest dreams and have nothing better to spend my money on.. not like those poor schleps who sit in the upper deck..

:lol: :lolhitting

If Jerry Reinsdorf isn't the cheapest motherf***er among baseball owners,he's pretty damn close.I won't be going to many (if any) games in 2005.Put a WS team

together in my f***ing lifetime,and i'll possibly reconsider.Between his inability

to pay coaches/managers and his arrogance of appointing a GM with little

to no experience,i'd say he's the worst owner in baseball now that Pud Selig

sold the Brewers. I can't blame FA's who don't want to play for the White Sox.

An organization as cheap as this one has been through its franchise history

deserves to be mocked and laughed at.And people wonder why the f***ups on the North Side get more press.SHEEEEESH!! :puke :puke

If Jerry Reinsdorf isn't the cheapest motherf***er among baseball owners,he's pretty damn close.I won't be going to many (if any) games in 2005.Put a WS team

together in my f***ing lifetime,and i'll possibly reconsider.Between his inability

to pay coaches/managers and his arrogance of appointing a GM with little

to no experience,i'd say he's the worst owner in baseball now that Pud Selig

sold the Brewers.  I can't blame FA's who don't want to play for the White Sox.

An organization as cheap as this one has been through its franchise history

deserves to be mocked and laughed at.And people wonder why the f***ups on the North Side get more press.SHEEEEESH!! :puke  :puke

It's pretty hard to sign a quality free agent when you're always trying to defer most of the salary until Captain Picard is flying the Starship Enterprise around.