Wade Miller non-tendered

SoIL

"Why would we offer money the most precious item on this earth to an injured guy who has an ERA of 3.35 when we could use our fine 5th starter roulette wheel of Grilli and Diaz. So they have an ERA over 6. Hey thats more of a challenge for ozzieball. That is less money for me if I get a good pitcher, come on guys its about sucking it up for a while. Through Thick and Thin remember. And by the way you got your damn green seats, got them on ebay. I will add them one at a time as we win bids." JR

reinsdorf2.gif

reinsdorf5.gif

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Me too...and as I think was said earlier in this thread, the Sox trust Dr. Yocum.  I'm sure they will call both Miller and Yocum to see how the arm is progressing.  I hope that shoulder is good, cuz he would look great in a Sox uni.

IF Yokum can give out the info. As we learned with Maggs, DRs can't tell anything unless the player agrees.

IF Yokum can give out the info.  As we learned with Maggs, DRs can't tell anything unless the player agrees.

very true...but wasn't it in the Houston Chronicle article that Dr. Yocum already stated his shoulder would be ready by ST? I may have misread.

EDIT: Here it is:

Miller received a clean bill of health this week during a visit with Dr. Lewis Yokum in California, according to Miller's agent, Robert Garber.

"He's on track to be ready for spring training, according to Dr. Yokum," Garber said. "He'll just get ready for spring training and start throwing in January."

Edited by TheDybber

Is anyone else getting the feeling that if AJ is signed, Kenny will pack up shop and call it an offseason?

I fear that Kenny will go into 2005 without having addressed this team's number one priority this offseason.

He just signed Gentle Ben to a one year, $1M deal; sign Wade and you just got yourself a A-/B+ offseason.

Is anyone else getting the feeling that if AJ is signed, Kenny will pack up shop and call it an offseason?

I fear that Kenny will go into 2005 without having addressed this team's number one priority this offseason.

He just signed Gentle Ben to a one year, $1M deal; sign Wade and you just got yourself a A-/B+ offseason.

yeah, that's what I was thinking... I think he'll make a huge deal out of AJ if he signs him, and than in the PR camaign for the AJ signing he'll really start to stress the "We like what we've got for our rotation" rhetoric

If we sign Wade Miller I am thrilled to death. Miller at $6 mil>Clement at $8.5 mil. I'd be happy if we finished up our off season with that.

No, I think there is more on the way.

My prediction is, you'll see another starter brought in. Also, a middle infielder. A guy like A. Cora or Eckstein is too good of a fit for the Sox to ignore.

If they get Pierzynski, that will not preclude any of these moves.

I don't see them touching the OF situation or the bullpen, unless there's a trade. If they trade from depth, i.e. the bullpen ... there are a bunch of guys out there they can still pick up.

I would expect them to be tweaking the team right up until February 1st, with a few non-roster invitees, minor league contracts, etc. It is a safe bet that during the organizational meetings, Guillen talked a lot about depth and flexibility.

If we sign Wade Miller I am thrilled to death.  Miller at $6 mil>Clement at $8.5 mil.  I'd be happy if we finished up our off season with that.

Me too. If KW was willing to trade CLee for Wade...AND his arm really is on sked for ST, than you have to believe he has already called Miller's agent. Miller and AJ and one of Reese, Eck, Cairo, Cora and I'm happy.

No, I think there is more on the way.

My prediction is, you'll see another starter brought in.  Also, a middle infielder.  A guy like A. Cora or Eckstein is too good of a fit for the Sox to ignore.

If they get Pierzynski, that will not preclude any of these moves.

I don't see them touching the OF situation or the bullpen, unless there's a trade.  If they trade from depth, i.e. the bullpen ... there are a bunch of guys out there they can still pick up.

I would expect them to be tweaking the team right up until February 1st, with a few non-roster invitees, minor league contracts, etc.  It is a safe bet that during the organizational meetings, Guillen talked a lot about depth and flexibility.

But what pitcher brought in. If its perez or a trade for vasquez then thats pretty cool.

If its a Mike Jackson like old starter that didnt pitch in 2004 like we tried last year with Person then it isnt too cool. It the number 1 thing that we need to address.

Picking up Eck, AJ and Pods will change the offense big time.

Not addressing the pitching situation is a mistake and will haunt us. Just imagine the outrage if we are sitting in May with the sox number five starter has yet to pick up a victory this year. Or the whitesox are considering a 4 man rotation to overcome the failures of the 5th spot.

Me too.  If KW was willing to trade CLee for Wade...AND his arm really is on sked for ST, than you have to believe he has already called Miller's agent.  Miller and AJ and one of Reese, Eck, Cairo, Cora and I'm happy.

Didn't the Astros offer Miller for Lee and the Sox pretty much ignored it? Not saying they weren't interested in Miller, but I don't think it was Kenny making the offer.

Didn't the Astros offer Miller for Lee and the Sox pretty much ignored it?  Not saying they weren't interested in Miller, but I don't think it was Kenny making the offer.

The note about it was pretty nondiscript, I thought. It really didn't say how much interest there was by the Sox, or even who didn't want to do the trade. The Astros could have not been interested as well if they were still trying to free up cash to sign Beltran and bring back Clemens.

In Kenny's defense, you don't give up someone as good as lee for a guy who was rumored to be non-tendered.

I agree. I also don't think I give Wade Miller 6 mill a yaer if thats what he wants. I haven't read the whole thread but I saw that number mentioned a couple times.

If Odalis Perez signs for 7 mill a year and Miller for 6, i'd much rather have Perez soley because you can be much more assured of Perez's health.

I'd give Miller 4 mill a year with incentives, thats it though.

I'm  fairly confident that Miller will resign with Houston to an incentive-laden deal.  I'd be suprised if the base salary was much over $2M.  He wants to stay in Houston.

When you get non-tendered, you can still negotiate with your current club correct? So the Sox can still negotiate with Scho as well if they want correct?

When you get non-tendered, you can still negotiate with your current club correct?  So the Sox can still negotiate with Scho as well if they want correct?

Yeah, but the quotes I saw from Shoe indicate he doesn't have any desire to continue talks with us now. Boras is too busy to deal with Shoe's small potoatoes contract right now anyways.

This is a spot where I don't mind overpaying ( ;) ).  Give him $2.5 or $3 mil.  this guy, if healthy, is a horse.  If he gets above $5 mil, though, forget it.

I think -- like Anthrax said -- a two year deal, perhaps, right around five million per year, with a team year third option for six million would be good. Definitely, like it's been mentioned though, incentive-laden contract, for things like IP, ERA, as well as how the team does...