Eckstein.

qwerty

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eckstein is the quintessential model of a "grinder." Defintely wouldn't be a bad pickup if his price is right.

Most noteable improvement he'd offer over Harris is his ability to hit LHP (179 ABS; .279 AVG, .345 OBP). However, Eckestein's defense (esp. range) is less than stellar. He hasn't fielded 2B since 2001, and wouldn't be expected to platoon w/Harris. Uribe's glove is better suited at SS; moving him to 2B shouldn't be an option.

I'm fairly positive St. Louis Cardinals will sign Ecksetin. In addition to the likelihood he'd earn their fulltime SS position, Cardinals are an attractive option.

I hate to say this about such a little acquisition, but could he push us over the top?

Sounds crazy, I know...but one thing this team has lacked over the past couple years was a real good spark plug, and they have lacked energy. That is EXACTLY what Eck is.

To me...this makes too much sense NOT to happen. I could see Eck landing here for $3-4 mill a year with Cairo ending back up in St. Louis, or maybe they acquire a SS through a trade.

However...if we get him, does he hit leadoff, second, or late in the order? To me, he seems to be the ideal #2 hitter for this team...solid OBP(lowest was .325 in 03, highest was .363 in 02...I expect somewhere in the .340 range from him, similar to tis past year), can hit to all fields, bunts the hell out of the ball, makes all kinds of contact(he has struck out over 50 times 1 time in his career, that being 01 when he struck out 60 times)...and to top it off, he is quite good defensively.

I look at Eck and see too many good things about him for the Sox not to sign him. Signing him could quite possibly be priority #1 right now, and signing Wade Miller should be priority #2...and if you have any money left over, look to get AJ.

More like...

Eck-2B

S-Pod-LF

Thomas-DH

Kong-1B

Dye-RF

Pierz-C (sorry being hopeful)

Crash-CF

Uribe-SS

Crede-3B

That's good for me. :)

I would flip Eck and Pods

Pods is our burner and can get on, Eck is a guy who has excellent bat control and can hit the ball to right. I would have Dye hit in front of Thomas who would flourish with all of the fastballs he would see. Thomas would get protection from Kong and Arow and AJ would give the lineup the line drive doubles hitters in the 6 and 7th that would keep innings going. Exciting, now I wont be able to sleep dammit.

Pods

Eck

Dye

Thomas

Kong

Arow

AJ

Uribe

Crede

Pods is our burner and can get on, Eck is a guy who has excellent bat control and can hit the ball to right.  I would have Dye hit in front of Thomas who would flourish with all of the fastballs he would see.  Thomas would get protection from Kong and Arow and AJ would give the lineup the line drive doubles hitters in the 6 and 7th that would keep innings going.  Exciting, now I wont be able to sleep dammit.

Pods

Eck

Dye

Thomas

Kong

Arow

AJ

Uribe

Crede

Better.

Pods is our burner and can get on, Eck is a guy who has excellent bat control and can hit the ball to right.  I would have Dye hit in front of Thomas who would flourish with all of the fastballs he would see.  Thomas would get protection from Kong and Arow and AJ would give the lineup the line drive doubles hitters in the 6 and 7th that would keep innings going.  Exciting, now I wont be able to sleep dammit.

Pods

Eck

Dye

Thomas

Kong

Arow

AJ

Uribe

Crede

I think are highest obp guy should bat third to give everyone else a better chance of knocking him in.