Earthquakes and Tsunamis in Asia - 225,000+ dead

DBAHO

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you guys have any more technical analysis or info I would love to read it.  This stuff facinates me.

I don't have much more, since the IOOS is still a concept and they are only putting it together now. The Industry liason officer for the program used to be the director of the marine engineering division at my institution and he shares an office (and good cigars and single malt scotch!) with me in his current liason role.

FWIW, here's a bit on the July 2004 congressional bill that green-lighted this particular project:

http://www.theorator.com/bills108/hr5001.html

and a little more about IOOS itself and the Ocean.US partnership putting it together:

http://www.ocean.us

And, finally, in today's news everyone is of course wondering why we don't have one of theme there fancy early warning systems in place already...

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=370063

And that's what really chaps my ass. That piece has Bush in it saying, 'Oh yes, we need this international observing system and it will save lives and...' yada yada., But when it comes time for us and other partner nations to actually cough up money to make it happen it is eerily quiet. Two weeks ago, Bush ordered the creation of a Cabinet-level Committee on Ocean Policy, in response to the reports of the U.S. Commission on Ocean Policy and the Pew Oceans Commission. These reports were a couple of years in prep and basically conclude what we already know - there will be dire human and ecological consequences if we don't stop f***ing up the oceans. Conspicuously absent from Bush's directive was ANY monetary increase in investment in ocean science, management and education. So, 'yeah, go fix everything, but don't tell us about the $billions it will actually take to make it happen.'

f***ing lip-service :angry:

Pledges now total half a billion dollars after the World Bank pledged $250 million in aid.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6767190/

I wonder how much that is helping. There are some regions where they have no passable roads, no water, no food, no power, no telecommunication. How do you help them? You'd almost have to give up on those people and go wherever you might be able to save some lives. You have to use the time and money wisely.

After the last Red Cross scandal I have to believe most of the money will be put to good use. But I hope it does not just end there & business goes on as usual.

We have the science & technology to develop & deploy & vibration detection system where the fault lines lie for early warning for events of this magnitude. It will cost billions to implement but I think that is a small price to pay for saving 100's of 1000's

of lives.

But that it not enough either. The area is prone to quakes of that magnitude at least

twice a century. If you try to prevent quakes you can cause the Earth much greater harm with an even greater potential for loss of life. They are neccessary processes for the Earth to remain stable & inhabitable. At some point we have to ask is it wise to keep building there? Would it be better for the Earth & all of us to simply turn those areas into national parks? The beaches would still be open to the public but the hotels

would no longer be on them. This would help protect the beaches & reduce the polution that flows into the inlets.

No, it's not the capitalist way but I think some things are more important than capitalism. The protection of life & the environment is one for sure.

Would it be better for the Earth & all of us to simply turn those areas into national parks?  The beaches would still be open to the public but the hotels

would no longer be on them. This would help protect the beaches & reduce the polution that flows into the inlets.

Ignore a billion dollar industry for a national park? Tourism is the largest source of revenue for many of the Indonesian islands (specifically Sri Lanka) hit by the tsunami. Whiny environmentalists don't stand a chance.

I believe you're on track with suggestions of installing advanced detection systems in our oceans. In addition to this, countries should build sirens to warn their citizens of danger.

After the last Red Cross scandal I have to believe most of the money will be put to good use.  But I hope it does not just end there & business goes on as usual.

We have the science & technology to develop & deploy & vibration detection system where the fault lines lie for early warning for events of this magnitude.  It will cost billions to implement but I think that is a small price to pay for saving 100's of 1000's

of lives.

But that it not enough either.  The area is prone to quakes of that magnitude at least

twice a century.  If you try to prevent quakes you can cause the Earth much greater harm with an even greater potential for loss of life.  They are neccessary processes for the Earth to remain stable & inhabitable.  At some point we have to ask is it wise to keep building there?  Would it be better for the Earth & all of us to simply turn those areas into national parks?  The beaches would still be open to the public but the hotels

No, it's not the capitalist way but I think some things are more important than capitalism.  The protection of life & the environment is one for sure.

I agree the Red Cross will not be a problem, any more than they, or any big organization, usually are.

The detection is only 1/2 the issue. Getting warnings, in seconds, to remote areas, is still a challenge. Keeping any sort of sophisticated equipment running in the tropics is a chore, combined with a lack to expertise, will be daunting. Technology should be able to overcome all this soon.

From the video I saw, the hotels may have actually saved lives. As a National Park, you would have had less people, but they would have had a harder time getting to high ground. From the videos I saw, most of the tourist hotels were undamaged above the ground floors. People who were on the second stories could casually point a video camera and shoot footage of the destruction.

These numbers are so staggering.

Just think, when the Twin Towers fell, 6,000 people died. Not to take anything away from those that were tragicly lost in NYC, but I can't fathom 135,000 lives taken by an act of God. Its simply stunning. These sort of disasters really make you think about all the good things in life.

My deepest :pray go out to all those involved.

It ended up being a little under 3,000 actually. I remember initial estimates though ranging at 25K.

The toll will likely increase by hundreds of thousands more as diseases ravage areas where they still have no contact with.

Wow. I heard 6,000 the other day.

Anyway you cut it...bad things.

I can't fathom 135,000 lives taken by an act of God.  Its simply stunning.

I have been trying to find a way to demonstrate just how many people that is and this is what i came up with.

135,000 is the same as filling up every seat in Soldier Field, killing them all and throwing them on the field. Then fill up all the seats again, kill them and throw them on the field. Fill up one of the end zones, kill them and throw them on the field.

135,000 people is about 2.14 Soldier Fields. THat is MIND BOGGLING!

The sad thing is they fear the body count may skyrocket in the next month from areas they cant reach yet and from after effects from the flood.

This is a spine chilling story with a dad videotaping his kids on the beach as the waves hit.  There is also the video footage if you want to view it.

http://www.nbc5.com/news/4036526/detail.ht...994&dppid=65172

Thanks 2k4, that gives me a better idea of what it was like. Still since that was Malaysia, I wonder what it was like for people on beaches in Thailand.