Did anyone know the Sox drafted Eric Gagne?

maggsmaggs

I was looking up Mark Johnson's numbers and saw the draft that year by the Sox as they took Johnson in the first round and stumbled upon Eric Gagne and that the Sox drafted him in the 30th round of the 1994 draft, 4 rounds ahead of Chad Bradford. I just thought that was really interesting.

http://www.sports-wired.com/teams/stats.as...me=H&Y=1994&N=D

I was looking up Mark Johnson's numbers and saw the draft that year by the Sox as they took Johnson in the first round and stumbled upon Eric Gagne and that the Sox drafted him in the 30th round of the 1994 draft, 4 rounds ahead of Chad Bradford.  I just thought that was really interesting.

http://www.sports-wired.com/teams/stats.as...me=H&Y=1994&N=D

Can we call "dibs"?

http://www.jockbio.com/Bios/Gagne/Gagne_bio.html

At this point, Eric had already begun to attract the attention of big-league scouts He was a 30th-round draft choice of Chicago White Sox in 1994, but was still undecided about which sport he wanted to pursue. A hockey scholarship to the University of Vermont was on the table, and Eric also had visions of representing Canada on the diamond in 1996 Olympics. Either way, he felt the White Sox were his third-best option.

Eric ultimately decided to pursue baseball, then headed to Seminole State Junior College in Oklahoma, electing to play for the Trojans and their coach Lloyd Simmons. There Eric developed further as a hurler. The 19-year-old had an ornery streak that Simmons loved. Eric wasn’t adverse to coming in high and tight against hitters, and his manager encouraged him to be as aggressive as possible on the mound. Thanks to his overpowering arsenal (fastball, slider and splitter) and take-no-prisoners mentality, Eric remained a hot prospect in the eyes of big-league teams.

The White Sox also drafted Brenden Donnelly, Joe Borowski, and Bob Wickman.

so mags mags was right, we did it the white sox way.. lowball and then b**** and complain that they never sign here.

No, it just seems as if Gagne was undecided at the point when he was drafted, and finally in '95, chose baseball. I assume a 30th round pick wouldn't command the big bucks that would be considered 'low-balling'. I've never heard of 'low-balling' a 30th rounder...

Rumors have been floating around the past couple days regarding two possible trades the White Sox are looking into. One is for Los Angeles Dodger starter Eric Gagne. The other, Phillies All-Star thirdbaseman Scott Rolen.

The deal for Gagne was in the works as of a week ago. The deal would've of sent Eric Gagne to the Sox and Bob Howry to the Dodgers. Howry would become the Dodgers closer, while Gagne fills the much needed #3 spot in the Sox rotation. The deal was rejected by LA's GM Dan Evans, suggesting he may want another player in the deal. One possiblity may be shortstop Royce Clayton.

The second rumor floating around has the White Sox sending Jose Valentin and Joe Crede to Phillidelphia for Scott Rolen. This has not been confirmed and stands as a rumor, but the deal fits in terms of logic.

Rolen, 26, batted .289 last season with 25 homers and 107 RBI's. He rejected numerous offers to stay in Phillidelphia stating over and over that money is not the issue, but winning. He has been unhappy with the Phillies organization lack of determination and would like to see a change or be traded. The downside to the deal for the Sox would be that Rolen is on his free agent year, and could be in demanding in the price range of 10+ mil a year.

Damn ..... what coulda been

JR and the board give the money out.. not the GMs..

So JR and the Sunshine Boys come up with the Contracts?

Why have you ripped on Williams for potentially overpaying when it came to Hermanson, Dye, Polanco, "El Duque," and Clement? :huh:

Did you mean to type "Reinsdorf and Co." instead of "Kenny" all of those times? :rolly

So JR and the Sunshine Boys come up with the Contracts?

Why have you ripped on Williams for potentially overpaying when it came to Hermanson, Dye, Polanco, "El Duque," and Clement?  :huh:

Did you mean to type "Reinsdorf and Co." instead of "Kenny" all of those times?  :rolly

:banghead :banghead :banghead

Its like trying to ask a blind man to describe what he saw

How often can one see a dominant closer before he becomes a dominant closer?

Remember, the Cubs had Dennis Eckersley in the mid-eighties & didn't think twice about letting him go. Only a couple of years later, he established himself as the greatest closer in history.

In this case, we're talking about what, an 18 year old kid? There is no way in hell that anyone could have seen this coming.

How often can one see a dominant closer before he becomes a dominant closer? 

Remember, the Cubs had Dennis Eckersley in the mid-eighties & didn't think twice about letting him go.  Only a couple of years later, he established himself as the greatest closer in history.

In this case, we're talking about what, an 18 year old kid?  There is no way in hell that anyone could have seen this coming.

Antrax would have. :rolly