Good News

AddisonStSox

how about we all shut the f*** up and get OUR collective heads out of OUR collective asses and stick to the topic....

uhh, sorry, that was my other personality, hes a real dickhead... pay no mind to him... what i really wanted to say was:

gentelmen and kind sir's... please refrain from argumentitive statements and slanders, as they are not necessary.... let us all kindly accept eachothers point of views and move on.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 11:51 PM)
He's signed, it should be a non-issue, but in this day and age when money is all and all is money, that 500k could be essential to signing Pierzynski.

I seriously hope we don't let 500k get in the way of us signing AJP.

I hope we do sign A.J. I think Ozzie likes having 3 catchers on the team, so I think if we were to sign him that we would have Burke and Davis being backups, but have Davis be #2, and Burke be #3. What I like about Burke is that he hits to the opposite field. Most of his hits are up the middle or to right field, which is good because he is hitting the ball where it is pitched, rather than trying to pull the ball and grounding out to short, or popping it up.

QUOTE(GreenSox @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 12:21 AM)
Catcher is the one position in which defense is more important than offense.

AJ's D is atrocious and his O, frankly, is marginal (lousy OBP and no power - what more would you want from a mediocre hitter)?

Atrocious? Have you ever seen him play?

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 06:22 AM)
Atrocious? Have you ever seen him play?

Yes I 've seen him play - have you???? have you seen him throw? You do know he can't call pitches either, right?

We invest all this money in starters, only to put an AJ behind the plate? I certainly hope not.

QUOTE(GreenSox @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 12:29 AM)
Yes I 've seen him play - have you????  have you seen him throw?  You do know he can't call pitches either, right?

We invest all this money in starters, only to put an AJ behind the plate?  I certainly hope not.

He does have a bad arm i will give you that. But the only pitchers i have ever heard having a problem with him are schmidt and tomko. I always hear how good he is at calling games so i do not know what you are talking about. His fielding percentage and cera is always top in the mlb so apparently he is not as bad of a catcher as he is made out to be. Can you name three to five other catchers that can blocks balls in the dirt as well as him? I doubt it.

Pre-2004 defensive scouting report from on ESPN:

The veteran catcher also has made significant strides defensively, to the point where he's one of the league's best behind the plate. He's exceptionally good at blocking low pitches, has a better-than-average arm and calls a solid game. The one rap is that Pierzynski spends too much time debating pitch calls with umpires. Some Twins officials feared that Pierzynski's talkative nature might work against the team's pitching staff. With good speed for a catcher, Pierzynski is a smart baserunner who knows when to take the extra base.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 01:17 AM)
I'm just passing along information.

I know, i just don't think that his arm was any better before the 2004 season than it was after the 2004 season. It has always sucked, but he more than makes up for it with bat, calling games, and blocking the plate as good as any other catcher in the game, etc.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 08:46 AM)
Bruce Levine was just on AM 1000 and said Aj is looking for a deal of atleast 3 mill a year and the Sox offer is less...plus he said Iguchi is looking for a 3 yr deal and the Sox have offered a 2 year deal. Take it for what its worth though...

I don't know enough about Iguchi to have an opinion on a three year deal, but AJP is worth $3million a year.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 03:03 PM)
The one thing this team has been missing is that asshole who will make teams think twice about what they are going to do next time.  We get that, to an extent, in AJ.

This is an interesting thought. I've long thought that the Sox have lacked someone like Jack McDowell. A guy who would go out every start and didn't give a rats ass who he was facing. He wouldn't back down to anybody. I think this is something we've lacked the last few years. Having a catcher, or anybody with this attitude certainly would be a plus for this team. I have concerns about AJ, most of what I've read about him has been negative, but I'm becoming more willing to give him a chance. It could turn out to be a real good thing.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)
Bruce Levine was just on AM 1000 and said Aj is looking for a deal of atleast 3 mill a year and the Sox offer is less...plus he said Iguchi is looking for a 3 yr deal and the Sox have offered a 2 year deal. Take it for what its worth though...

Eh, doesn't sound like the most promising news on either front. I wouldn't mind hearing Cairo's name involved with the White Sox if these two fall through. I think KW needs to get one more bat to make it a great off-season

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 08:59 AM)
I don't know enough about Iguchi to have an opinion on a three year deal, but AJP is worth $3million a year.

It seems like everytime the Sox are mentioned in conjunction with a player, it never happens... I guess it is back to under the radar for us. :ph34r:

Yeah, it's funny how after the past 3 years people still would call us a 'lock' for the division.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 10:16 PM)
I refuse to say the Sox are favorites for the division.  They aren't the favorites in my mind until they finally win the division and are the defending champs.

QUOTE(SoIL @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 07:04 AM)
This is an interesting thought. I've long thought that the Sox have lacked someone like Jack McDowell. A guy who would go out every start and didn't give a rats ass who he was facing. He wouldn't back down to anybody. I think this is something we've lacked the last few years. Having a catcher, or anybody with this attitude certainly would be a plus for this team. I have concerns about AJ, most of what I've read about him has been negative, but I'm becoming more willing to give him a chance. It could turn out to be a real good thing.

The last guy that we've had on the Sox who had any balls was Jim Parque. That brawl with the Tigers in 2000 was a thing of beauty, and is the thing I remember most about that season even though we won the most games in the AL (all of baseball maybe, not sure about that) and had several players have great seasons.

This team has been severely lacking in the "I've got balls" department, and hopefully the dumping of Magglio and Lee, who are both absolutely sackless, will help fix that. We need AJ to show some of our sheepish players what it takes to win games. Sometimes it takes an asshole attitude to put you over the top, and AJ possesses that quality -- and yes, if directed correctly, it is most definitely a quality.

QUOTE(lvjeremylv @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 10:06 AM)
This team has been severely lacking in the "I've got balls" department, and hopefully the dumping of Magglio and Lee, who are both absolutely sackless, will help fix that.  We need AJ to show some of our sheepish players what it takes to win games.  Sometimes it takes an asshole attitude to put you over the top, and AJ possesses that quality -- and yes, if directed correctly, it is most definitely a quality.

I've got balls department :lolhitting

QUOTE(lvjeremylv @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 10:06 AM)
The last guy that we've had on the Sox who had any balls was Jim Parque.  That brawl with the Tigers in 2000 was a thing of beauty, and is the thing I remember most about that season even though we won the most games in the AL (all of baseball maybe, not sure about that) and had several players have great seasons.

This team has been severely lacking in the "I've got balls" department, and hopefully the dumping of Magglio and Lee, who are both absolutely sackless, will help fix that.  We need AJ to show some of our sheepish players what it takes to win games.  Sometimes it takes an asshole attitude to put you over the top, and AJ possesses that quality -- and yes, if directed correctly, it is most definitely a quality.

As "sackless" as you think Magglio is, he was a big part of the brawl you mentioned. He gave a flying karate kick to one of the Tigers and was suspended a few games. Lee also was far from "sackless."