Score just reported Sox sign AJ

103 mph screwball

Regardless of performance, I do not think the starting catcher job is up for grabs this Spring Training. I think AJ at 2.25 million could only lose the job in April or May with a terrible performance AND the Sox being below .500.

Also I don't know if it was posted but whitesox.com is doing a position-by-position series of articles. The catcher article posted a few days ago had a very doubtful tone and it has now changed to "Pierzynski a force behind the plate for White Sox". :D

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sticking to my original stance. If Davis beats out AJ in ST with BA, OPS, & CERA he will get 3/5 starts in April. Anything else & AJ will get either 3/5 or 4/5. I see no scenario where AJ relegates Davis to nothing more than a bench player.

Regardless of who shows up as the better C in ST, Davis will be used often as a pinch runner & pinch hitter. Koney might be faster than AJ.

The CWS have 3.25M spent on C in 2005. They are going to squeeze every drop of performance out of that.

QUOTE(Chisoxmatt @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 07:11 PM)
Easyw, I like what you said about Aj grounding into alot of double plays.  Between him and Konerko that is going to be alot of them.  I see why you have alot of concerns, but you gotta admit, he is a big step up from Ben Davis.

People need to realize that it is hard to stay out of them when you have someone getting on so much ( bonds). He was never one to ground into alot of double plays before last year with the giants.

I'm sticking to my original stance.  If Davis beats out AJ in ST with BA, OPS, & CERA he will get 3/5 starts in April.  Anything else & AJ will get either 3/5 or 4/5.  I see no scenario where AJ relegates Davis to nothing more than a bench player.

Regardless of who shows up as the better C in ST, Davis will be used often as a pinch runner & pinch hitter.  Koney might be faster than AJ. 

The CWS have 3.25M spent on C in 2005.  They are going to squeeze every drop of performance out of that.

so basically, you are trying not to back up your stance that Ben Davis has more than a 50 percent chance of being our starting catcher. You can just admit you were wrong, and be an admirable poster, or you can continue vomitting crap onto this topic. There is NO WAY that BD will beat out AJ, never in a million years. Take my bet!!!!! I have season tickets in section 144, and they would be good seats to watch cubs/sox if you win

I'm not knocking AJ for his GIDPs. All I'm saying is that there are enough question marks surrounding AJ & KW's confidence is that high in Davis to where it's not a slam dunk for AJ to beat out Davis & get the majority of starts.

I hope AJ's being here helps Davis. It would be good for the CWS to not see that much of a drop-off between them when Davis pinch hits or pinch runs for someone.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 07:35 PM)
People need to realize that it is hard to stay out of them when you have someone getting on so much ( bonds). He was never one to ground into alot of double plays before last year with the giants.

Damn good point. But Aj is still pretty slow. I still expect him to ground into alot of double plays... But not 27.

There is NO WAY that BD will beat out AJ, never in a million years.  Take my bet!!!!!  I have season tickets in section 144, and they would be good seats to watch cubs/sox if you win

It would be stupid to take that bet. On both sides. The risk of injuries to C's is higher than other players. Since they are both competing for the lead role they might not disclose such injuries to the team.

It would be stupid to take that bet.  On both sides.  The risk of injuries to C's is higher than other players.  Since they are both competing for the lead role they might not disclose such injuries to the team.

Back up what you say, you said after ST that BD would be the starter, you even gave yourself better than 50 percent chance of winning the bet, or you could just admit that you were talking out of your ass. There is absolutly no competition for the role, in fact, I would think that there would be more compeitition for the backup role between Burke and BD.

Let's look at the facts shall we?

As a prospect BD was heralded as the next J Bench. His stock was much higher than that of AJ's. Athletically he possesses more talent than Bench did. He has speed, power, & quickness w the bat. He has a strong arm & was at one time considered one of the best defensive C prospects in all of the ml's.

Now BD has not been given the chance to play everyday but he did have considerable success in the ml's. Athletically he is superior to AJ in every way. He has not been given the opportunity to prove what kind of hitter he could be. He hit in ml's. Then struggled with Seattle & did better after moving on to the CWS.

So I do not think it is impossible for BD to post a better OPS, & CERA

in ST than AJ. Nor do I think it's impossible that in doing so he might impress Ozzie enough to win the starting role.

Now you obvious think it's impossible so it would be best just to agree to disagree. But I will say this much. I would prefer an average hitting BD over a good hitting AJ. BD's speed will equal more runs than AJ's strength.

Provided that BD can hit reasonably well to get on base.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 03:43 PM)
Let's look at the facts shall we?

As a prospect BD was heralded as the next J Bench.  His stock was much higher than that of AJ's.  Athletically he possesses more talent than Bench did.  He has speed, power, & quickness w the bat.  He has a strong arm & was at one time considered one of the best defensive C prospects in all of the ml's.

Now BD has not been given the chance to play everyday but he did have considerable success in the ml's.  Athletically he is superior to AJ in every way.  He has not been given the opportunity to prove what kind of hitter he could be.  He hit in ml's.  Then struggled with Seattle & did better after moving on to the CWS.

So I do not think it is impossible for BD to post a better OPS, & CERA

in ST than AJ.  Nor do I think it's impossible that in doing so he might impress Ozzie enough to win the starting role.

Now you obvious think it's impossible so it would be best just to agree to disagree.  But I will say this much.  I would prefer an average hitting BD over a good hitting AJ.  BD's speed will equal more runs than AJ's strength.

Provided that BD can hit reasonably well to get on base.

Are you related to ben davis?

• 3 years later...

Soxtalk agreement, I barely remember the cosmic convergence that must happen for that to occur.

And Juggs was

| ....................................................................................................

........................................................................... | this close to having it right

:lolhitting