Luis Castillo for 2B?

beck72

I put this in the Rumors thread. But I think it deserves its own thread [what do I know :D ]

• Although the Marlins like Luis Castillo and would be happy to keep him, a Marlins insider said one reason they re-signed Damion Easley was to give them the option of trading Castillo and his $4.5 million salary.

Here's the link:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/10601746.htm

IMO, the Sox should "pay any price" to get Castillo. The perfect guy for 2b, who can hit #2 or leadoff vs LHP. What the M's would want for him who knows. But the price can't be that high. My question is, what would the M's want for him? And what could the Sox give up? Seeing how the article talks about getting a 1B like Grieve, Fullmer or Tony clark, Ross Gload would have to someone they'd be interested in. Cheap, and an Ozzie guy

Also, it seems strange that they could go for an expensive bat like Delgado. Yet would be willing to give up Castillo because he makes too much money at $4.5 mill?! Could be that they want some offense/ power. Prob. some pitching. thoughts?

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With reports the M's are going after Delgado, they would prob. have to make some room for his salary.

Some needs:

1] FLA has no LH pitchers in their bullpen. Only Willis and Leiter are their LHP's. Marte; Cotts

2] Easley looks like a stop gap measure at best for 2b. He played a UTL role there in 2004. Willie Harris would likely be part of a deal, unless they have someone for 2b in their minors [Josh Wilson? rings a bell]

3] 1B. Gload; PK?

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 12:57 PM)
seems like alot of options now are opening up for whitesox get a 2b. It will be intresting to see what happeneds

Very true. The key i think is the sox don't have to make any moves. They've gotten their biggest holes filled. Other teams are more desperate, and may give up more than they want to get the right player

The Marlins are realy desperate for a left handed power hitter, some reports have said they've offered a 1 year deal to Delgado while others have said they have offered him a 3 year deal. Cotts and Harris alone won't be enough, probably a prospect or 2 not named Anderson, Sweeney or McCarthy might have to be thrown in, but I'd be all for a deal for Castillo instead of someone like Ray Durham.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 01:04 PM)
The Marlins are realy desperate for a left handed power hitter, some reports have said they've offered a 1 year deal to Delgado while others have said they have offered him a 3 year deal. Cotts and Harris alone won't be enough, probably a prospect or 2 not named Anderson, Sweeney or McCarthy might have to be thrown in, but I'd be all for a deal for Castillo instead of someone like Ray Durham.

I agree. I'm just saying the sox look to have some pieces that could fit. Marte would be more in line w/ Castillo, as far as worth and value go. But if they missed out on Delgado, Gload would be a decent option for 1b than Ben Grieve, Clark or Fullmer.

Yet if they got Delgado, they'd have to go cheap at other spots [2b, bullpen, OF]

Interesting to say the least. I thought the Sox would find a way to trade w/ Florida this offseason. If Castillo is available, the Sox should top any offer, along the lines of the Freddy deal.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 12:17 AM)
I agree. I'm just saying the sox look to have some pieces that could fit. Marte would be more in line w/ Castillo, as far as worth and value go. But if they missed out on Delgado, Gload would be a decent option for 1b than Ben Grieve, Clark or Fullmer.

Yet if they got Delgado, they'd have to go cheap at other spots [2b, bullpen, OF]

Interesting to say the least. I thought the Sox would find a way to trade w/ Florida this offseason. If Castillo is available, the Sox should top any offer, along the lines of the Freddy deal.

I think it's more likely the Marlins would rather keep Castillo and sign someone like Brad Fullmer or Travis Lee instead of trading Castillo if they missed out on Delgado to a team like the Mets or Rangers (If Delgado wants to boost his value, he should sign a 1 year deal with the Rangers, his stats there are insane).

There's no doubt Ozzie would be telling KW to get on the phones to Larry Beinfest ASAP. The Marlins need help in the pen, and might even have interest at taking someone like Felix Diaz or Jason Grilli as it's likely their 5 starters won't make it through a full season.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 12:40 AM)
FWIW, supposedly [according to ESPN insider] the marlins are Delgado's 1st choice.

If the M's got Delgado, the sox would stand a much greater chance of landing Castillo.

Sign with them delgado!!

That's what I'm hoping, Delgado looks like he wants to play for a winner. Florida would be a good fit for him.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 01:41 PM)
That's what I'm hoping, Delgado looks like he wants to play for a winner. Florida would be a good fit for him.

The marlins desperately need some LH power. Juan Pierre led the team with 3 HR's [1 being an iside the park homer] from the left side. With that being a huge need, Beinfest seems to get exactly what he wants. His deals last yr were great. If they see Delgado as the #1 need, they should have a great chance ot land him

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 03:09 PM)
The marlins desperately need some LH power. Juan Pierre led the team with 3 HR's [1 being an iside the park homer] from the left side. With that being a huge need, Beinfest seems to get exactly what he wants. His deals last yr were great. If they see Delgado as the #1 need, they should have a great chance ot land him

Remember the Marlins traded Derek Lee for Hee Sop Choi. It was purely to move a guy that was in the last year of his contract. If Castillo is in the last year of his contract I can really see a trade happening? I would trade Marte & Harris for him in a heart beat. It would hurt to trade Marte, but what is more important an everday all-star 2B with speed and great defense or a Lefty set-up man? KW should really consider this as the 2B option.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 05:27 AM)
the M's reportedly offered Delgado a 3 yr, $30 mill deal.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-mar...la-sports-front

If they got Delgado, Castillo would be a decent bet to move. Fill a spot in their bullpen with Marte, and clear salary

Marte for Castillo? No thanks.

Marte is one of the best lefty relievers in baseball, and I wouldn't trade him to fill a spot that *really* isn't that bad for the Sox. Willie harris hit .260 last year (and should improve if he gets as many ABs as he did in 2004), and he figures to be our #9 hitter this season. A .260+ average from a #9 hitting 2B with good defensive abilities and excellent speed is just fine IMO. And factor in the salary he'll be making in 2005, and I'm very happy with our 2B situation.

The only way I'd move Marte is if it was part of a deal to acquire a stud starter.

I want Soriano well lets see last year he hit

avg 280 28hr's 91 rbi's and 18 sb's

No thank you.. The man has no def range

Castillo.. I want him, I wanted him last year when he was a FA, b4 signing back with the Marlins

I would give up cotts/Harris for Castillo in a heartbeat. I would give up marte, but we have to get another minor leaguer in return. But, i wouldlike to see the Sox get this done, we might be a litle over budget..but I don't think JR would mind for a player like that.

IMO I would love to have Castillo on this team. He would give us a leadoff hitter incase Pods turns out to be a bust.

However Marte should be a no way. Hands off. Not on the Market.

We need to try and center a package around Willie Harris (Since we'd need him off the roster to make room for Castillo), Neil Cotts, and Prospects

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 11:45 AM)
You guys are bashing Soriano because of his bad defense.. If thats the case he should all bashed AJ for his bad defense as well.

Aj is a good defender. Alf is brutal at 2nd, he strikes out way to much, he doesn't get on base, we have enough power, we don't need another player like Soriano.