Local Celebrities' Allegiance

retro1983hat

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 03:09 PM)
It was called "White Sox: A Visual History"  It only went up to about 1985, because the last thing they showed was Joe Cowley's no-hitter.  It was pretty cool, though.

Very cool, thanks. A bunch of Chiland libraries seem to have it, I'll have to check it out next time I visit my folks.

The line stretched all the way to Terre Haute...

Palmolive had a nice, piquant after dinner flavor, heady, but w/ just a touch of mellow smoothness...

Sox + Christmas Story :headbang

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 04:52 PM)
And BTW Minnie Minoso was born in 1922.  Kinda makes it hard for Capone to see him play before his birth...

??????

He saw Minnie play as a younster.and teenager. Minnie was well known as a promising player at ayoung age. Castro knew about him and had Al come see him play.

QUOTE(bogie @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 11:01 AM)
Yeah- and you believe the hoodlums never had any children on the side.....

I believe that as a very, VERY rich man Capone would have taken care of any indescretions that he might have had... and that when he died those indescretions would have come out of the woodwork looking for their cut. There is not one piece of history to support that Capone had any children other than Al.

Regardless.. your Minoso story is bulls*** so this discussion is moot.

QUOTE(bogie @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 04:59 PM)
??????

He saw Minnie play as a younster.and teenager. Minnie was well known as a promising player at ayoung age. Castro knew about him and had Al come see him play.

Just stop. Castro didn't come to power until the 50s, and he's younger than Minnie.

I don't know all of Capone's history but this much I do know ...

As of about 1931, he spent most of his remaining 16 years in and out of jail. The feds got him on tax evasion and he spent a long stretch or two in Federal penitentiaries, including a stint in Alcatraz. By the time he died in 1947, he was completely ravaged from syphillus. The feds had let him out of jail during WW 2 because his mind was totally gone and he was reduced to simpleton state ... no threat to anyone.

By the time Minoso would've been an up and coming young player, let's say in his teens (late 30's), Capone was for the most part in prison and already suffering from the effects of syphillus.

Castro is pushing 80, I believe he's 78 or 79, which would make his year of birth 1926 or thereabouts. He came to power in 1959 and was in his very early 30's.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 11:21 AM)
I don't know all of Capone's history but this much I do know ...

As of about 1931, he spent most of his remaining 16 years in and out of jail.  The feds got him on tax evasion and he spent a long stretch or two in Federal penitentiaries, including a stint in Alcatraz.  By the time he died in 1947, he was completely ravaged from syphillus.  The feds had let him out of jail during WW 2 because his mind was totally gone and he was reduced to simpleton state ... no threat to anyone.

By the time Minoso would've been an up and coming young player, let's say in his teens (late 30's), Capone was for the most part in prison and already suffering from the effects of syphillus.

Castro is pushing 80, I believe he's 78 or 79, which would make his year of birth 1926 or thereabouts.  He came to power in 1959 and was in his very early 30's.

Castro was born on August 13, 1926, you are right on the mark. Bogie is playing with us I hope, because the history he gives is completely off the mark. Steff is correct also, only one child fathered by Capone to the best of anyones knowledge. Capone was infected with his disease as a teenager, which may have affected his overall fertility.

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 11:30 AM)
Castro was born on August 13, 1926, you are right on the mark. Bogie is playing with us I hope, because the history he gives is completely off the mark. Steff is correct also, only one child fathered by Capone to the best of anyones knowledge. Capone was infected with his disease as a teenager, which may have affected his overall fertility.

Bluto: What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Otter: Germans?

Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 03:09 PM)
It was called "White Sox: A Visual History"  It only went up to about 1985, because the last thing they showed was Joe Cowley's no-hitter.  It was pretty cool, though.

Joe Cowley pitched his No hitter Sept 19th 1986 11-1 final ;)

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 20, 2005 -> 05:08 PM)
Tommy Lee Jones is a Sox fan.

He is? Isn't he from Texas? I'm surprised to see that.

And while everyone is on the subject of Al Capone, Eliot Ness mentions in the book The Untouchables going to Comiskey Park to see the White Sox play the Yankees, and Ted Lyons striking out Babe Ruth twice. One of his fellow agents

cheered "like a kid" according to Ness.

Colonel Donald P. Conroy, the real-life "Great Santini" was indeed a White Sox

fan. In fact, the book mentions the Sox a few times. Robert Duvall mentions

them once in the movie.

Two great Chicago writers were also White Sox fans: Nelson Algren and James

T. Farrell. They mention the Sox several times in their books.

As for living White Sox fans, other posters pretty much covered them. Most, if not

all, A-list celebs from Chicago are *sneer* Cub fans. One famous White Sox fan

that no one had mentioned is former Vice-President Dan Quayle. Take that for

what it's worth.

CUBS

Jurko

I was almost Positive that Jurko was a Sox fan. I thought I heard that on a broadcast one time.

Also, I thought John Cusack was a Sox fan as well, I was really pissed because I thought he switched over in 2003, when The Pinheads went to The NLCS.

Learn something new everyday, I guess.

QUOTE(whitesox91403 @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 09:13 PM)
CUBS

Jurko

I was almost Positive that Jurko was a Sox fan. I thought I heard that on a broadcast one time.

Also, I thought John Cusack was a Sox fan as well, I was really pissed because I thought he switched over in 2003, when The Pinheads went to The NLCS.

Learn something new everyday, I guess.

Maybe we still have Joan. She does work for U.S. Cellular...

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 11:30 AM)

I can't believe people are taking this 'bogie' clown seriously!!

:lolhitting :lol:

QUOTE(NO!!MARY!!! @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 06:28 PM)
He is? Isn't he from Texas? I'm surprised to see that.

And while everyone is on the subject of Al Capone, Eliot Ness mentions in the book The Untouchables going to Comiskey Park to see the White Sox play the Yankees, and Ted Lyons striking out Babe Ruth twice. One of his fellow agents

cheered "like a kid" according to Ness.

Colonel Donald P. Conroy, the real-life "Great Santini" was indeed a White Sox

fan. In fact, the book mentions the Sox a few times. Robert Duvall mentions

them once in the movie.

Two great Chicago writers were also White Sox fans: Nelson Algren and James

T. Farrell. They mention the Sox several times in their books.

As for living White Sox fans, other posters pretty much covered them. Most, if not

all, A-list celebs from Chicago are *sneer* Cub fans. One famous White Sox fan

that no one had mentioned is former Vice-President Dan Quayle. Take that for

what it's worth.

I don't know if TLJ is a Sox fan, but I do know he's a big time jerk. He amde a movie down here ... U. S. Marshalls, I believe. He was a rude, arrogant, pompous ass.