Kind of Sad

S720

Now that Kenny has fabulously accomplished his goal and done with this offseason, I kind of feel a little bit sad. There is no more waiting in ancitipation, excitement and anxiety! Now is just painfully watching time and time and time to go by until Spring Training. :crying When does Spring Training begin?

Hell Kenny, make one more move just for the sake of more excitement. Ask JR to increase payroll to 80 mils, then trade Garland, Willie Harris and a prospect to Arizona for Vazquez :wub: . This will close this offseason PERFECTLY!

QUOTE(S720 @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 07:50 AM)
Now that Kenny has fabulously accomplished his goal and done with this offseason, I kind of feel a little bit sad.  There is no more waiting in ancitipation, excitement and anxiety!  Now is just painfully watching time and time and time to go by until Spring Training. :crying  When does Spring Training begin? 

Hell Kenny, make one more move just for the sake of more excitement.  Ask JR to increase payroll to 80 mils, then trade Garland, Willie Harris and a prospect to Arizona for Vazquez  :wub: .  This will close this offseason PERFECTLY!

So you want to give up a sure thing in Garland for a maybe in Vazquez. Glad your not the GM...

Contreas for Vazquez and now your talking... :bang

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jan 26, 2005 -> 01:03 AM)
So you want to give up a sure thing in Garland for a maybe in Vazquez. Glad your not the GM...

Sorry Jeckle, me thinks you are going to get called out on defending Garland as a sure thing again. :lol:

QUOTE(S720 @ Jan 26, 2005 -> 12:50 AM)
Now that Kenny has fabulously accomplished his goal and done with this offseason, I kind of feel a little bit sad.  There is no more waiting in ancitipation, excitement and anxiety!  Now is just painfully watching time and time and time to go by until Spring Training. :crying  When does Spring Training begin? 

Hell Kenny, make one more move just for the sake of more excitement.  Ask JR to increase payroll to 80 mils, then trade Garland, Willie Harris and a prospect to Arizona for Vazquez  :wub: .  This will close this offseason PERFECTLY!

Acquiring Vazquez would add an extra $5 million to our payroll, I doubt JR is going to allow that.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 08:03 AM)

Jeckle,

Are you saying Garland equals the value of Vazquez? If you do, you gotta be joking! Ask any team GM to choose between Garland and Vazquez, guess who would they select? You only see Vazquez's one bad year, and you've already thrown out the previous years when he pitched tremendously. If you think Garland is a sure thing, then Vazquez is A MUCH MORE SURE THING.

With Buerhle, Garcia, Vazquez, Duque and Contreras, the Sox can be very competitive against any team.

By the way, look for Contreras to be much better than what he's shown last year. Book it!

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 08:03 AM)

Oh come on...Vazquez is as much a sure thing as Garland, unless Javy is injured which I don't think he is since he passed his physicals. If the cash were the same, which it isn't, I would much rather have Javy than Garland. Whatever, bring spring training on...

QUOTE(S720 @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 08:10 AM)
Jeckle,

Are you saying Garland equals the value of Vazquez?  If you do, you gotta be joking!  Ask any team GM to choose between Garland and Vazquez, guess who would they select?  You only see Vazquez's one bad year, and you've already thrown out the previous years when he pitched tremendously.  If you think Garland is a sure thing, then Vazquez is A MUCH MORE SURE THING.

With Buerhle, Garcia, Vazquez, Duque and Contreras, the Sox can be very competitive against any team. 

By the way, look for Contreras to be much better than what he's shown last year.  Book it!

Javy's one bad year was a Garland-like year as well. Nevermind that he dominated for the past 3-4 years in Montreal. Amazing what 1 bad half of a season will do to fans perspectives on things.

QUOTE(S720 @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 08:10 AM)
Jeckle,

Are you saying Garland equals the value of Vazquez?  If you do, you gotta be joking!  Ask any team GM to choose between Garland and Vazquez, guess who would they select?  You only see Vazquez's one bad year, and you've already thrown out the previous years when he pitched tremendously.  If you think Garland is a sure thing, then Vazquez is A MUCH MORE SURE THING.

By the way, look for Contreras to be much better than what he's shown last year.  Book it!

First off Garland is making 3.5 Mil, Vazquez is making over 12. Most GM's will take the 25 year old that hasn't even reached his prime yet.

Vazquez hasn't proved he can pitch in the Cell. Garland has. Thats why he's a sure thing and Vazquez isn't. Hell he hasn't even proved he can pitch in the AL. Garland will give us 12 wins next year. Vazquez would get lit up in the Cell.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 08:04 AM)
Sorry Jeckle, me thinks you are going to get called out on defending Garland as a sure thing again.  :lol:

Garland is a sure thing. Sure to give you 12 wins and about 200 innings, which is what he's been doing for the last 3 years. That's great production from a 5th starter and decent production from a 4th starter (which is more accurately what Garland is).

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 08:19 AM)
Irony-the title of this thread, and its contents.

I am sorry everyone, including Jeckle. I did not mean for this thread to take off negatively like this. I want to emphasize that I love our offseason of this year. I believe the Sox now have the players to truly compete with other teams within and outside of the AL Central.

Honestly, at the end of last year, I was very much as devastated as all of you. However, after all of these wonderful offseason moves, I really feel much better and believe that the Sox will win the division this year. Great prop to Kenny. :D

QUOTE(southsider17 @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 08:18 AM)
Garland is a sure thing.  Sure to give you 12 wins and about 200 innings, which is what he's been doing for the last 3 years.  That's great production from a 5th starter and decent production from a 4th starter (which is more accurately what Garland is).

so you are saying, he is a sure thing becuase you know for sure that he will be mediocre. So you think a sure thing is any player who doesnt leave a little mystery to his game. So we could pick up a crappy pitcher, and he would be a sure thing because we would be sure he will lose 12 games??

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 10:52 AM)
so you are saying, he is a sure thing becuase you know for sure that he will be mediocre.  So you think a sure thing is any player who doesnt leave a little mystery to his game.  So we could pick up a crappy pitcher, and he would be a sure thing because we would be sure he will lose 12 games??

He's a sure thing because he will be at least mediocre. Garland still has a damn good future ahead of him. It's all a matter of when it kicks in for him.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 10:52 AM)
so you are saying, he is a sure thing becuase you know for sure that he will be mediocre.  So you think a sure thing is any player who doesnt leave a little mystery to his game.  So we could pick up a crappy pitcher, and he would be a sure thing because we would be sure he will lose 12 games??

Exactly. A known quantity.

Mediocrity makes a perfect #5.

VAZQUEZ DOES NOT WANT TO PLAY FOR THE WHITE SOX !!!!!!!! :chair

Do you ever listen to what the player says? His demands:

Wants to remain in NL. Wants to play on the E coast.

Mostly likely targets: Nationals, Marlins, Braves. NOT THE WHITE SOX!

If you are sad because you feel the Sox are complete, don't be. They're not. They still have a probable hole at 3B, no solid-proven player to spell Uribe at SS, & a RH RP who remains shaky in Adkins.

I'm still waiting for KW to make 2 more moves to fill those holes.

I still have anticipation that the Cub might deal Farnsworth to the Sox.

The sentiment at Cubfest (from the cubby fans I know) is that the fans don't like him any more. They don't want him on the team. He needs a change of scenery & the Sox would make a good fit. If we get the high heat of Farnsworth going into 05 then I think we can challenge the Twins

the pen.

I'm not worried about a guy who can spell Uribe yet. There will be plenty available that might be better than our own Valdez & Ozuna after rosters are cut to 25. IMO, this isn't as great a need as replacing Adkins in the

pen.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 10:57 AM)
He's a sure thing because he will be at least mediocre.  Garland still has a damn good future ahead of him.  It's all a matter of when it kicks in for him.

OK. I think the point that was made with Vasquez, is that he would be better than mediocre, which means he would be, on average, a better player than Garland, do you agree??

Juggs--easy killer, we know the trade isnt gonna happen, dont bring out the soap box and the stats quite yet.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 12:33 PM)
OK. I think the point that was made with Vasquez, is that he would be better than mediocre, which means he would be, on average, a better player than Garland, do you agree??

No, i see him having right around garland's era if he pitched here the entire era. Only difference is he makes alot more money than galrand does.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)
No, i see him having right around garland era if he pitched here the entire era. Only difference is he makes alot more money than galrand does.

Bingo. Now lets end this garland is mediocre but he's solid, Vasquez would suck argument, please.