One more need

Cubs Suck23

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Graffy flat out makes sense. He can back up at 3 positions, is familiar with the Sox, and was well liked by management. I think he really enjoyed his time in Chicago too. He wanted to be a starter, but he's best suited as a super utility guy.

Adding him would be phenomenal, but I think it would also put an end to the Willie Harris era because Graffy would be getting most at bats off the bench when it came to the infield and I could see them going with Valdez as the other infielder.

If the Sox deal Willie I'll be a little ticked though because I do think Willie is going to have a good career and I'd like to get something good for him.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 12:35 PM)
I think Larkin could work.. take a look see

Monday game

1b Pauly

2b Icguchi ( I will learn to spell it by all-star break!)

SS Uribe

3b Crede

Tuesday

1b Pauly

2b Uribe

SS larkin

3b Crede

Wenesday

1b Pauly

2b icguchi

SS Larkin

3b Uribe

Thrsuday

1b Gload

2b Ichguchi

SS larkin

3b Crede

Friday

1b Pauly

2b Harris

SS uribe

3b Crede

DH Larkin

Just an example how we can keep our players fresh for down the stretch

You liked Jerry Manuel, didn't you?? ;)

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 04:24 PM)
Why would KC want to trade within the division?

Santo...because KC wouldn't give a rat's ass if they traded a backup IFer within the division. They will not compete this year, and trading Graffy within the division would not kill them long term.

Regardless...I think this is pointless. There is NO reason to give up anything for another.

We have invited Ozuna to ST, Iguchi can play SS(though not very well), and I'm sure even Harris could play SS in an emergency if we needed him to.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 04:54 PM)
I've rethought this.  If we keep Harris, then Larkin is viable option for the Sox.  If he won't agree to backup ... that's his problem.  But he'd work for the Sox.

Sorry but I don't have time to read this whole thread, so if I am being redundant, my apologies in advance.

Larkin is getting to the point where he will only have two choices. Take a back up role or retire. Getting the starts he wants at this point may not be an option anywhere.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 05:45 PM)
Santo...because KC wouldn't give a rat's ass if they traded a backup IFer within the division.  They will not compete this year, and trading Graffy within the division would not kill them long term.

Regardless...I think this is pointless.  There is NO reason to give up anything for another.

We have invited Ozuna to ST, Iguchi can play SS(though not very well), and I'm sure even Harris could play SS in an emergency if we needed him to.

Iguchi can't play short at all now.

Ha, nothing is ever good enough here eh......we are done this offseason....every team is always going to have a small hole to fill, i mean you're all asking for a back up for uribe, i dont think this is really on kenny's mind...I think we should all sit back and comend kenny for filling the major holes, and having the best offseason of any team in the MLB. I mean look what we have to look foward to this season. Those dirty cubs fans are still talking about how good they will be, when all they did this offseason was lose more then they gained

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 06:21 PM)
Ha, nothing is ever good enough here eh......we are done this offseason....every team is always going to have a small hole to fill, i mean you're all asking for a back up for uribe, i dont think this is really on kenny's mind...I think we should all sit back and comend kenny for filling the major holes, and having the best offseason of any team in the MLB. I mean look what we have to look foward to this season. Those dirty cubs fans are still talking about how good they will be, when all they did this offseason was lose more then they gained

I'm willing to bet there is one more move.

I know he has had arm problems. I know that 2B is his best position due to those problems. I suspect he may no longer be a good shortstop. I just find it hard to believe that he couldnt play there a couple of times per month just to give Uribe a day off. If his arm it a complete noodle, the Sox had better give him a good physical. I guess we will know for sure this spring.

Alex Cintron from the D-Backs. He could probably be had for a young bullpen arm, maybe w/ Borchard thrown in. The 26 yr old switch hitter has lost his everyday SS gig to Royce Clayton, and they're stocked at 2b with Counsell, Kata and Hairston. Yet he can also play 3b, and 2b [playing 26 games at 3rd, and 46 games at 2b the last 3 yrs]. He also hits better from the RH side [3 yr split of .317/.364/.457, including .365/.418/.577 in 03.

His defense looks a little shaky though.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 28, 2005 -> 01:32 PM)
Alex Cintron from the D-Backs. He could probably be had for a young bullpen arm, maybe w/ Borchard thrown in. The 26 yr old switch hitter has lost his everyday SS gig to Royce Clayton, and they're stocked at 2b with Counsell, Kata and Hairston. Yet he can also play 3b, and 2b [playing 26 games at 3rd, and 46 games at 2b the last 3 yrs]. He also hits better from the RH side [3 yr split of .317/.364/.457, including  .365/.418/.577 in 03.

His defense looks a little shaky though.

I say we offer them Adkins and Borchard and see if they bite...

I say we offer them Adkins and Borchard and see if they bite...

Hell, I would give the D-Backs Willie and Borchard for Cintron. Arizona may have to start Luis Terrero in CF...

"Around the Horn: Outfielders

Gonzalez, Green solid at corners, but who will play CF?"

http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/NASApp...s_ari&fext=.jsp

Willie could play CF and leadoff for them and Borchard could either be their 5th outfielder or keep working in their minors and eventually replace a very old and injury-prone Luis Gonzalez (37). The Dbacks wouldn't miss Cintron much considering they just signed Royce Clayton to be their starting SS and also have Craig Counsell to be their utility infielder.

From ESPN's Scouting Report:

2004 Season

After a strong 2003 season in which he showed surprising power, Alex Cintron opened the 2004 campaign as Arizona's starting shortstop and No. 5 hitter. But his production dropped off after a decent April, and after a time in the No. 2 spot, he was demoted to the bottom third of the Arizona batting order. In September, with Jerry Gil called up and Cintron's defense still shaky, he split his time between shortstop and second base.

Hitting

Cintron has a long, uppercut swing from both sides, which helped generate 45 extra-base hits in 117 games in 2003. But he is more of a contact hitter who, when not overswinging, usually puts the ball in play successfully. Cintron has more power as a righthanded hitter, but his swing wasn't as quick in 2004. He may attempt to get rid of the high leg kick he has used as a timing device, which should help him get by with his slower bat speed.

Baserunning & Defense

Cintron lacks the quick first step and range to be a good shortstop, partly because he plays too upright. He has good arm strength but sometimes throws off the wrong foot. He can play third base but is better at second. Cintron has speed to steal bases on occasion, but his basestealing technique needs work if he is ever to reach double digits in steals.

2005 Outlook

While Cintron is young enough to rebound and show he can play every day, the Diamondbacks may sign a free-agent shortstop, leaving Cintron to compete for a job at second base. He could wind up a utility player if he cannot beat out Matt Kata or Scott Hairston for the starting position at second. How Cintron does in 2005 will go a long way in determining if he has a future in Arizona's rebuilding plans.