196 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• [IMG]http://www.ta-sports.net/Corp/mlb_logos/logo_wsx.gif[/IMG]
    • [IMG]http://www.ta-sports.net/Corp/mlb_logos/logo_cle.gif[/IMG]

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

70% Twins? That is just sad. Were is the hope?

Here's a better question to ask. It's simple over/under.

Min 92W over/under? under.

Chi 83W over/under? over.

Cle 80W over/under? under.

Det 72W over/under? over.

Kan 58W over/under? over.

Min: We've seen enough of the new MIF in 04 to assume a decline D.

Chi: Upgraded rotation & pen more than makes up for loss of HRs.

Cle: 9-10 vs Det last yr. Det outscored them 136-98. Percival & Maggs give Det a bigger edge.

Det: See above.

Kan: I have to believe they can eek out at least 1 more win.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Feb 14, 2005 -> 09:47 AM)
Another guy I forgot all about Cleveland having is Aaron Boone...he could be a big help to them as well. He should be back and ready by opening day from his ACL.

Recovering from an ACL injury, I would be shocked if Boone has any kind of a decent year. It usually takes a while to get back into playing shape, and regain the mobility and speed that you lost. It isn't like a bone break, that once it is healed you are fine again.

Yeah I know an ACL injury is normally a 2 year recovery time. One to fully heal the 2nd to over come it mentally. It is possible he could impact though. I have had the injury and the surgery so I am familiar with the recovery time...mentally it is a lot harder to come back from than the physical part. I doubt Aaron will have a big effect early but down the stretch he could.

Edited by EvilJester99

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Feb 14, 2005 -> 09:51 AM)
Yeah I know an ACL injury is normally a 2 year recovery time. One to fully heal the 2nd to over come it mentally. It is possible he could impact though. I have had the injury and the surgery so I am familiar with the recovery time...mentally it is a lot harder to come back from than the physical part. I doubt Aaron will have a big effect early but down the stretch he could.

Most porfessional athletes will tell you it takes about 18 months for the physical recovery and the mental trust in the knee to return. Physically you're fine in about 9-12 months, it takes awhile for the knee to feel "normal."

Aaron Boone is yet another NL to AL crossover that didn't work out. He batted .254 with the Yankees in 2003. Can anybody think of any hitters that came over from the NL to dominate the AL in recent years? I can only think of Vladimir Guerrero.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Feb 14, 2005 -> 12:42 PM)
Most porfessional athletes will tell you it takes about 18 months for the physical recovery and the mental trust in the knee to return. Physically you're fine in about 9-12 months, it takes awhile for the knee to feel "normal."

My knee felt fine after about 9 to 10 months. I had ACL and MCL worked on. My doctor had to move part of my hamstring muscle to the side of my knee to keep it from bowing outward. ACL was blown and MCL was severely stretched. This was about 7 years ago also. I would think Boone will be strong and ready to roll by the start of this season but I am not sure how is trust factor in his knee will be. Time will tell on that I guess.

Edited by EvilJester99

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Feb 14, 2005 -> 12:47 PM)
My knee felt fine after about 9 to 10 months. I had ACL and MCL worked on. My doctor had to move part of my hamstring muscle to the side of my knee to keep it from bowing outward. ACL was blown and MCL was severely stretched. This was about 7 years ago also. I would think Boone will be strong and ready to roll by the start of this season but I am not sure how is trust factor in his knee will be. Time will tell on that I guess.

Physically he should be ready to go. I don't remember which knee was injured but he may have some difficulty with planting and pivoting on that leg.

The rehab may be different due to the type of ACL graft used also. Some physicians use a section of the semitendonosis hamsrting tendon, some use part of the patella tendon. Both have adavantages and disadvantages dealing with baseball specific activities.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 02:51 PM)
I'm usually not one for bumping threads, but many people requested this for the *Official* Opening Day thread, so I am going to pin this.

5 days and counting, I can't wait!!!

Great decision, I love this f***ing thread.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 06:56 PM)
I do not fear the Indians. Nothing about their pitching staff scares me.

Jake Westbrook(3.38), Scott Elarton(5.90), Cliff Lee(5.43), Kevin Millwood(4.85) and Jason Davis(5.51).

Seems pretty damn scary to me.

Edit: Sabathia(4.12) is hurt, he doesn't count.

Edited by Kalapse

In the sprots weekly I got today, more of the experts picked the tribe to win the central than the twins. The sox got no votes. I agree that I just don't the pitching holding up. But that offense will more fearsome.

I dont understand why everyone thinks the Indians are going to be the best offensive team around. I see a bunch of players who had career years. How often can that be repeated?? Not to mention a pitching staff that has been horrrible, a terrible bullpen anchored by Rhodes (uhh) and Wickman. I dont see Millwood having an ERA under 5 this year.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 10:16 AM)
I dont understand why everyone thinks the Indians are going to be the best offensive team around.  I see a bunch of players who had career years.  How often can that be repeated??  Not to mention a pitching staff that has been horrrible, a terrible bullpen anchored by Rhodes (uhh) and Wickman.  I dont see Millwood having an ERA under 5 this year.

They had a bunch of young players that had career years ... so far. What they do from here on out, remains to be seen. The odds are some of them are going to at least perform as well, if not better, than last year.

This year reminds me so much of the year 2000 its scary. We really did not know what we were getting that year with Sirotka, Parque, Baldwin, Wells etc. A young left handed pitcher coming out of the bullpen by the name of Mark Buerhle. Not a heralded bunch coming out of camp but they won the most game in the American League that year. We all know what happened in the playoffs but that is besides the point.

Podsednik is coming to a new league but one thing that never slumps is speed so I know he will be fine.

Iguchi- Nobody knows what he could do

Konerko- Seems like he is hitting his peak right now and its his walk year (I believe) so he needs to put up big numbers to get that nice contract.

Dye- coming over from the cavernous Network Associates to the bandbox we like to call Comiskey will be a boon for his power numbers

Rowand- I think we are witnessing the continuation of a All-Star caliber career. Aaron seems comfortable now that he is guaranteed an everyday spot in center. look for 30+ Hr's from A Row.

Everett/Thomas- Look out, they both came into spring in tip top shape and Carl is swinging the bat really well down in Arizona. Now many players have done that in the past and then come up north and got cold so we must take a wait and see approach. Frank will be Frank (when healthy)

Uribe- a solid .270 with 20+ HR and steady defense is all I expect anything more will be gravy

Pierzynski- this is the wild card- if he hits like he always has the team will do the job. If he doesn't and these rumors of a cancerous presence are true then this could be a 3rd place squad.

Crede- an enigma. He now knows that he must bring his game because Mr. Fields is not going wait forever. He was the guy to replace my favorite Sox player of all time but has not even come close to being as good as Robin was.

Pitching Staff Buerhle solid, The Rock 16-18 wins, Contreras 15 game winner but also a 12 game loser, El Duque will win the same and if Garland does what he has done for his whole career which is win 12 games we will be right where we need to be.

Sorry for the novel but I am so excited about the season I needed to share

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?ac...431&qpid=621115

Thomas had an MVP-like season in 2000, & the team hit better on the road (BA wise) than it did on @ the Cell. I think the 95W had more to do with the offense than the defense that year.

As odd as this sounds the best move KW's made in the past yr or so is getting back Carl Everett. We know what he can do when he's healthy at the Cell. We've seen he looks pretty healthy in ST. He'll get the job done at DH & when Thomas returns if Carl is hitting better than Dye he will get the nod in RF. So not only does he fit nicely to backup Thomas but even more so to backup Dye. They both are making about the same $'s this year so there's no reason to favor Dye over Carl if Dye's not producing.

That's why I am very optimistic about 2005.

DH: Everett + Thomas - major upgrade over DH in 2004.

RF: Best of (Everett, Dye) - major upgrade over RF in 2004.

C: AJP - major upgrade over C in 2004.

SS: Uribe - upgrade over SS in 2004

2B: Iggy - even w 2B in 2004.

3B: Crede 05 has to be better than Crede 04.

CF: ARow 05 w a new contract & more experience could be better than ARow 04.

LF: Pods - what he lacks in hits & power he makes up for in SB's.

We all know the rotation & pen have seen major upgrades so I can't

see how any one can say KW has not done a reasonable job at upgrading this team.