Ex-Sox Player Admits to Steroids!

Al Lopez Ghost (old)

Rodriguez says...

"I categorically deny any assertion made by Jose Canseco that I used steroids," Palmeiro said in a statement. "At no point in my career have I ever used steroids, let alone any substance banned by Major League Baseball. As I have never had a personal relationship with Canseco, any suggestion that he taught me anything, about steroid use or otherwise, is ludicrous."

Then says...

“I am in shock. Surprised. He is saying things that are not true, and it pains me much that he says such things because I have always had much respect for him, and moreover, I helped him many times when things weren't going well for him”, Rodriguez said in the Puerto Rican newspaper El Nuevo Dia.

I don't normally help people I don't have at least a friendship (which would be a personal relationship, no?) with... :ph34r:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 8, 2005 -> 10:17 PM)
Rodriguez says...

"I categorically deny any assertion made by Jose Canseco that I used steroids," Palmeiro said in a statement. "At no point in my career have I ever used steroids, let alone any substance banned by Major League Baseball. As I have never had a personal relationship with Canseco, any suggestion that he taught me anything, about steroid use or otherwise, is ludicrous."

Then says...

“I am in shock. Surprised. He is saying things that are not true, and it pains me much that he says such things because I have always had much respect for him, and moreover, I helped him many times when things weren't going well for him”, Rodriguez said in the Puerto Rican newspaper El Nuevo Dia.

I don't normally help people I don't have at least a friendship (which would be a personal relationship, no?) with...  :ph34r:

Steff...the first quote says, "Palmeiro said in a statement." And the second says "Rodriguez said in the Puerto Rican..."

It's either a typo or you read it wrong. But, just because you don't have a personal relationship with someone, doesn't mean you don't have a "professional" relationship. Doesn't prove anything to me.

Canseco may be an attention whore, but that doesn't mean he's lying.

When these denials come out, you might bear in mind that you can honestly say you never took steroids if "all" you were taking is human growth serum. Also, the new baseball drug testing agreement does not allow for blood tests which is where hgs shows up, as I understand it. The new testing program only allows for urine tests.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Feb 8, 2005 -> 04:22 PM)
Steff...the first quote says, "Palmeiro said in a statement."  And the second says "Rodriguez said in the Puerto Rican..." 

It's either a typo or you read it wrong.  But, just because you don't have a personal relationship with someone, doesn't mean you don't have a "professional" relationship.  Doesn't prove anything to me. 

Canseco may be an attention whore, but that doesn't mean he's lying.

I read it wrong. :lolhitting

And I agree with you about him being an attention whore.. and that it doesn't mean he's lying. :unsure:

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 8, 2005 -> 10:26 PM)
I read it wrong.  :lolhitting

And I agree with you about him being an attention whore.. and that it doesn't mean he's lying.  :unsure:

It happens...I'm always happy to point out other people's foibles. Only reinforces the fact that I'm perfect!!!

I hope Canseco doesn't meet any current or former MLB player in a dark alley, especially if he isn't doing 'roids anymore, cuz he's gonna get his ass kicked.

Steff,

Ask your friend in legal what the ramifications of the terms:

Public figure, and in the public eye are for defamation cases.

I believe they make the standard malice, (not the regular usage, but instead malice=actual knowledge in defamation case.)

Since they are public figures, they would have to prove that Canseco actually knew that they in fact did not do steriods. Otherwise he could say and do anything he really wants. Its why tabloids can say things about actors/actresses with out proof, because so long as it cant be proved that at the time they knew that it was not true, they have not committed defation.

Now this would be very hard in a trial to prove because only a few things can happen:

1) Canseco was telling the truth, the rest are lieing to the public and trying to save face.

2) Canseco was lieing, and admits to such on the stand.

3) Canseco is willing to perjur testimony.

Since number 2 is probably not going to happen, any lawsuit would be far more dangerous for Big Mac and the others than for Canseco. Canseco wans the attention, he wants to be paraded around, he wants to be on the interview circuit.

The rest want to hide their heads.

Also, Mac etc would have to get on the stand and testify, so if they did ever do any steriods they would either have to perjur or admit.

Very high risk versus very low reward, hence why publishing company would publish with almost no risk of defamation. Also, I cant recall off the top fo my head but Im not even sure if the publisher can be held liable, as truth is always a defense to defamation, and since Canseco was willing to give personal knowledge, not even hearsay, they could easily write in something to the extent of:

Jose Canseco agrees to complete liability for all statements and assertations made in this book. The publisher (blah blah) printed on belief that Jose Canseco's statements were in fact truthful and accurate. Should at any time these statements be cast in doubt or proven to be in fact false, the publish (blah blah) will cease publication.

SB

Great line from David Schoenfield on ESPN.COM Page 2:

Most shockingly, however, while he writes that he had sex with hundreds of women, he says he did not sleep with Madonna, instead merely making out with her in her Manhattan apartment.

Apparently, Canseco's career strikeout total needs to be adjusted up to 1,943.

Most shockingly, however, while he writes that he had sex with hundreds of women, he says he did not sleep with Madonna, instead merely making out with her in her Manhattan apartment.

Apparently, Canseco's career strikeout total needs to be adjusted up to 1,943.

More proof that you should stay away from steroids. ;)

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 10:30 AM)
Not to defend him. I think steroids are disgraceful to the game, but when Canseco was with us in 2001, he was the most exciting player we had for about a month. When he would come in to pinch hit, the park was electric in anticipation.

I agree. The guy could still hit, obviously. He was better than 2/3 of the DH's around the league. I guess teams just didn't want the guy around. He seemed to be pretty popular with teammates...until now.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 10, 2005 -> 02:11 AM)
With all the focus being on Palmeiro, IRod and JuanGone I wonder if Canseco has implicated any of his ex-teamates with the Sox.  We may have to circle the wagons after this book comes out.  Just saying.

Well, I just checked our roster from 2001 - this book could blow the lid off of Royce Clayton's career!

I never played with Jose Canseco, and never played in the major leagues.

However, I met Jose Canseco at a baseball card show in Chicago back in 2003. He signed my baseball card, then we went into a bathroom stall at McCormick Place, and he then injected me with steroids. And I loved every minute of it.

I was finally able to lift my wife after that experience. Thank you so much, Jose. 'Roids Rule!!

:lolhitting

SB..

In a nutshell she said that while the publishing company likely has a disclaimer on the book that they can (and will in her opinion) be sued for negligence, and they will lose unless the claims can't be proven. That, of course, will be up to a jury as to what they define and determine as "proof". One interesting thing is that the publisher initially said no way to the book. After investigators looked into Jose's claims they changed their minds. :huh

It all boils down to anyone can sue for anything. It's a gamble on what a jury will decide.

She apologized for not being more detailed but she's a bit busy. But she did say she'd answer questions if there were any more. She also wanted to stress that she is not a publishing attny and her answers are based on case law that she has access to.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 10, 2005 -> 08:04 AM)
SB..

In a nutshell she said that while the publishing company likely has a disclaimer on the book that they can (and will in her opinion) be sued for negligence, and they will lose unless the claims can't be proven. That, of course, will be up to a jury as to what they define and determine as "proof".  One interesting thing is that the publisher initially said no way to the book. After investigators looked into Jose's claims they changed their minds.  :huh

It all boils down to anyone can sue for anything. It's a gamble on what a jury will decide.

She apologized for not being more detailed but she's a bit busy. But she did say she'd answer questions if there were any more. She also wanted to stress that she is not a publishing attny and her answers are based on case law that she has access to.

So if no one sues, you know there is pretty much fire underneath that smoke...

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 10, 2005 -> 09:11 AM)
So if no one sues, you know there is pretty much fire underneath that smoke...

Maybe it's just me.. but I have no doubt there's a LOT of fire under that smoke. I believe what Jose's saying a lot more than I doubt it.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 10, 2005 -> 09:19 AM)
Maybe it's just me.. but I have no doubt there's a LOT of fire under that smoke. I believe what Jose's saying a lot more than I doubt it.

Ditto. And as far as "creditability" is concerned, how many John Gotti's would have been convicted if they couldn't use the testimony of other mobsters.

He claims that Dubya knew about the steroids when he was with the Rangers. We'll see if Bush sues . . .

The problem is how much are you going to spend on the law suit versus what you could collect from a broke Jose Canseco.

Let's say someone does sue and wins, does that convince the American public? I don't think so, just ask OJ, who is still looking for Nicole's killers. It will come down to who is more believable to the jury, Canseco who repeats what he claims, or the player who says, I never tested positive. People will still believe who they want to believe regardless of any lawsuits.

Edited by Texsox

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 10, 2005 -> 03:19 PM)

I agree. I believe most if not all of Canseco's allegations. There never will be a "smoking gun" in these cases. All I can go on is what people say and my own eyes, and for me that's enough to believe many players did performance enhancing drugs. Now, when some of them say "I never did steroids" I technically believe them. A lot of them did HGH.