Duke/UNC Prediction

I'm here to make my prediction for tonight's classic. UNC has more talent, more depth, and a better overall team on paper.

Two problems though, first, this is a team that doesn't play with heart, they play with their talent and so far that's all they've needed. Second, lets see them react when the game is close. Will they be able to withstand the pressure.

Theres no doubt the game will be close, Duke has already been in close games against stiff competition and responded well, even in the loss at Wake Forest (unlike UNC)

Duke will have to stay out of foul trouble and get more production out of Daniel Ewing to win. I think most would agree that Shelden Williams is a better player than Sean May, but UNC has a lot of scorers, both in their starting lineup and on their bench.

So the question comes; UNC's talent and depth vs. Duke's heart and chemistry.

I pick Duke for 3 reasons: one, because I'm a Duke fan, two, I choose heart and chemistry over talent and depth always in sports (look at the Patriots), and 3, Duke is home in front of the Cameron Crazies.

Prediction: Duke by about 4-6 points

I'd like to hear other predictions

I take talent over heart. New England hasn't won 3 of 4 Super Bowls specifically because of heart; the main reason they have won is because they have incredibly good offensive and defensive schemes that they have used...the fact that they won the Super Bowl with a rookie in Randall Gay and second year player in Asante Samuel, who had never started prior to this year, basically tells me all I need to know. That coaching staff is the best in the NFL, hands down, and you see it. Tom Brady is one of the better QB's in the game too, so that helps.

Almost always, talent prevails over heart. 2003, the Twins and White Sox both finished above the Royals, 2004, the Cards beat the Astros, the Red Sox beat the Yankees...not saying that those did not take heart to accomplish, just saying that in all 3 instances, talent prevailed over heart.

Regardless, I don't like how Duke matches up with UNC, and therefore, I think UNC will win.

How exactly do you have more heart than someone? Normally I consider players with more heart when they play injured. Who exactly on Duke has done that so much more than UNC has? Duke might win, because they are a good team and at home. But not because they have more heart. I expect it to be a close game and UNC wins by about 2.

Felton vs. improved Dockery

McCants vs. Ewing (both arguably the best players for their respective teams)

Manual vs. Redick (Redick has been kind of hot lately, but Manual is the best wing defender in the ACC)

Marv/Jawad Williams vs. Shav (which Shav will show up? Will he get lots of flops with Marvin's agressiveness in the post?)

Sean May vs. Shelden (will the more muscular version of May this year be able to stop Williams?)

I see Duke slowing the game down, and the game being in the high 70's instead of the 90's where UNC likes it. Its not good that I had a chicken enchilada stuffed burrito for dinner, with my nerves for this game, I might be in the bathroom more than by the tv.. :crying

I don't follow much college basketball(as you may be able to tell by the next sentence), but Felton, or whoever it was, that took the ball up the court for that last UNC possession should never take it up the court in a close game like that again when the stakes are that high. Not only had UNC clawed back into it and cut it to a 1 point game, but I also noticed that with about 8 seconds left, there was some room to drive after he got Ewing to bite, and it looked like he went right back to Ewing.

Poor last play of the game, whoever it was on, for UNC. You have to have more outs then that. It was spectacular defense by Duke, but to not even be able to get a shot up is horrible...simply horrible.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 10, 2005 -> 12:06 AM)
I don't follow much college basketball(as you may be able to tell by the next sentence), but Felton, or whoever it was, that took the ball up the court for that last UNC possession should never take it up the court in a close game like that again when the stakes are that high.  Not only had UNC clawed back into it and cut it to a 1 point game, but I also noticed that with about 8 seconds left, there was some room to drive after he got Ewing to bite, and it looked like he went right back to Ewing.

Poor last play of the game, whoever it was on, for UNC.  You have to have more outs then that.  It was spectacular defense by Duke, but to not even be able to get a shot up is horrible...simply horrible.

Felton is actually one of the best PGs in America. Just happened to piss down his leg tonight. I'm sure UNC fans would feel very comfortable with the ball in his hands in almost all circumstances.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 10, 2005 -> 12:10 AM)
Felton is actually one of the best PGs in America.  Just happened to piss down his leg tonight.  I'm sure UNC fans would feel very comfortable with the ball in his hands in almost all circumstances.

I don't doubt how good he is. But he choked tonight.

I'd have to see him play more, but he did not make a good impression on me tonight.

QUOTE(Butter Parque @ Feb 10, 2005 -> 07:09 AM)
Wow it seems Rashad McCants was "locked up" all night. HAHAHAHA!!!

P.S. Where was UNC's heart?

Wow, you lost all credibility and any sympathy you had with that post right there.

Where was UNC's heart? They lost by 1 point to #8 Duke at Cameron. In Chapel Hill, UNC wins. You can't say they didn't have heart.