Our Guy is Available

AddisonStSox

I know we were ga-ga for this cat before we got Iguchi; but, does he even get a look?

Then again, why would he come to the Sox to backup if that's the reason he wants to leave Philly? Boy, I dunno.

I know this is probably a long-shot, but felt it was worth mentioning in PH since we were in love with him early in the off-season.

Per Rotoworld

Placido Polanco, who accepted Philadelphia's offer of arbitration after not finding the free-agent market to his liking, hopes to be traded to a team willing to use him as a regular.

''It's a situation I can't control,'' Polanco said. ''I don't like to be in this situation. I hate to be in this situation, but I have to live with it.'' Let's all feel sorry for the player who chose -- yes chose -- to make $4.6 million to act as a reserve rather than $3 million or so to be a starter elsewhere. The Phillies figure to be very open to trading Polanco if anyone wants him. Feb. 22 - 5:52 pm et

No, we do not need 200 2B bench players. We need someone for SS/3B platoon.

Besides, his name is hard to pronounce. :D

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Feb 22, 2005 -> 07:34 PM)
I know we were ga-ga for this cat before we got Iguchi; but, does he even get a look?

Then again, why would he come to the Sox to backup if that's the reason he wants to leave Philly?  Boy, I dunno.

I know this is probably a long-shot, but felt it was worth mentioning in PH since we were in love with him early in the off-season.

Per Rotoworld

Placido Polanco, who accepted Philadelphia's offer of arbitration after not finding the free-agent market to his liking, hopes to be traded to a team willing to use him as a regular.

''It's a situation I can't control,'' Polanco said. ''I don't like to be in this situation. I hate to be in this situation, but I have to live with it.'' Let's all feel sorry for the player who chose -- yes chose -- to make $4.6 million to act as a reserve rather than $3 million or so to be a starter elsewhere. The Phillies figure to be very open to trading Polanco if anyone wants him. Feb. 22 - 5:52 pm et

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Feb 22, 2005 -> 07:36 PM)
No, we do not need 200 2B bench players.  We need someone for SS/3B platoon.

Besides, his name is hard to pronounce. :D

He's played all around the IF during his career.

But, has been the everyday two-bagger for a few years now.

I wonder if he would consider a move if he were promised a set amount of starts. At least here, he should have more of a chance to play. The Phillies brass have major wood over Utley.

Yes, but say his first and last name really fast 10x. :D

He has pretty good stats, but that's quite a bit of money for a bench/platoon player, we need to keep some of that cash freed up for the trading deadline in case of injury or other such issue.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Feb 22, 2005 -> 07:38 PM)
He's played all around the IF during his career.

But, has been the everyday two-bagger for a few years now.

I wonder if he would consider a move if he were promised a set amount of starts.  At least here, he should have more of a chance to play.  The Phillies brass have major wood over Utley.

Defensive positions; year by year breakdown.

He's played more games at 3B and SS than I was aware of.

Fielding

Year Team POS G GS INN PO TC A E DP FPCT

1998 STL 2B 14 8 88 34 56 21 1 10 .982

1998 STL SS 28 21 196 38 126 82 6 18 .952

1999 STL SS 9 7 58 7 29 20 2 5 .931

1999 STL 3B 9 2 30 0 9 8 1 0 .889

1999 STL 2B 66 39 396 116 243 122 5 32 .979

2000 STL SS 29 14 151 31 84 53 0 11 1.000

2000 STL 3B 35 19 187 18 59 41 0 8 1.000

2000 STL 2B 51 32 349 80 190 107 3 18 .984

2000 STL 1B 1 0 3 2 3 1 0 0 1.000

2001 STL SS 42 29 281 50 159 109 0 16 1.000

2001 STL 3B 104 93 810 60 263 199 4 16 .985

2001 STL 2B 15 10 93 22 58 36 0 10 1.000

2002 STL SS 13 9 90 19 43 24 0 7 1.000

2002 STL 3B 78 63 587 52 196 139 5 18 .974

2002 STL 2B 6 5 46 11 29 17 1 7 .966

2002 PHI 3B 53 52 479 38 173 132 3 15 .983

2003 PHI 3B 21 21 179 10 49 37 2 5 .959

2003 PHI 2B 99 99 873 212 517 301 4 69 .992

2004 PHI 3B 13 11 96 15 41 26 0 4 1.000

2004 PHI 2B 109 105 944 264 571 304 3 76 .995

Total 806 650 6022 1083 2927 1803 41 347 .986

If we were to trade for Polanco, he would be making about the same amount as Iguchi, Uribe, and Crede combined...that's 3 of our starting infielders.

I like Polanco a lot...but I don't like him at that price as a backup. If we didn't have Iguchi, I would love him.

Not sure where I see him ending up though. Can Minnesota work out a trade where they don't have to take on all of that money? Because they cannot be comfortable with Rivas as the everyday 2B, Cuddyer the everyday 3B, and Bartlett the everyday SS. That is 2 first year starters and a mediocre player in the 3 spots Polanco plays.

Anyways, I'm sure some team will want Polanco...not sure who exactly, but someone should step up.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 22, 2005 -> 08:09 PM)
If we were to trade for Polanco, he would be making about the same amount as Iguchi, Uribe, and Crede combined...that's 3 of our starting infielders.

I like Polanco a lot...but I don't like him at that price as a backup.  If we didn't have Iguchi, I would love him.

Not sure where I see him ending up though.  Can Minnesota work out a trade where they don't have to take on all of that money?  Because they cannot be comfortable with Rivas as the everyday 2B, Cuddyer the everyday 3B, and Bartlett the everyday SS.  That is 2 first year starters and a mediocre player in the 3 spots Polanco plays.

Anyways, I'm sure some team will want Polanco...not sure who exactly, but someone should step up.

St.Louis is probably a pretty good bet. They looked at him during the off season, he's a former Card and Ekstien and the former Cub 2nd baseman who's name I can't recall now, don't exactly stack up with Renteria and Womack.

Boy, he would have been a real nice addition to this team before Iguchi was added.

I was all for a scenario in which Polanco played both 2B/3B, and you basically play the hot bat between Crede/Harris/Polanco. That said, I'm not b****ing that we got Iguchi.

I think he could be a possibility if Crede doesn't produce well early in the season. He would be an ideal #2 hitter for this team, and a real good safety-net as a leadoff hitter incase Podsednik doesn't produce...

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Feb 22, 2005 -> 09:39 PM)
yeah they added Grudz. It was a pretty misguided choice to turn down a multi-year deal to play with his best friend, Albert Pujols. I'd love to have Polanco here, btu short of bringing him into play thrid, there really isn't a place.

When did he turn this down?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 22, 2005 -> 09:56 PM)
Boy, he would have been a real nice addition to this team before Iguchi was added.

I was all for a scenario in which Polanco played both 2B/3B, and you basically play the hot bat between Crede/Harris/Polanco.  That said, I'm not b****ing that we got Iguchi.

I think he could be a possibility if Crede doesn't produce well early in the season.  He would be an ideal #2 hitter for this team, and a real good safety-net as a leadoff hitter incase Podsednik doesn't produce...

Even more of a reason to take a look at him is that he can play short as addison said. We finally would not have our back up third baseman be our starting short stop and are back up short stop would not be a rookie who cannot take a walk if his life depended on it. If there was a to get them to eat say two million of his salary the sox would have to make the move for him.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 22, 2005 -> 08:09 PM)
There is no place for him to play. Obviously the guy wants to start. He ain't going to find it here.

Agree, I dont think this is honestly worth a debate. Its not going to happen, its not a good idea, and its just a waste of time.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Feb 22, 2005 -> 09:55 PM)
Yeah whoever mentioned the cards hit it on the head, unless the tigers try and grab him

Dumb phillies

The Tigers will likely go with Infante at 2B and Inge at 3B.

A team to look out for in this is Houston. They still have a little money to spend, and they need to try and upgrade as much as possible...Beltran really screwed them big time. If I had to put money on a team, I would guess that that is where he ends up.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 22, 2005 -> 11:30 PM)
The Tigers will likely go with Infante at 2B and Inge at 3B.

A team to look out for in this is Houston.  They still have a little money to spend, and they need to try and upgrade as much as possible...Beltran really screwed them big time.  If I had to put money on a team, I would guess that that is where he ends up.

Thankfully, Minnesota doesn't have any $$ to spend... Polanco would fit nicely anywhere left of Morneau.

2B - Rivas Sucks.

SS - Bartlett should be decent option, but I expect Gardy to stick with Castro

3B - Cuddyer finally gets his shot, but isn't exactly an offensive machine (considering they never felt the need for him to play over Rivas)

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Feb 22, 2005 -> 11:39 PM)
Thankfully, Minnesota doesn't have any $$ to spend... Polanco would fit nicely anywhere left of Morneau. 

2B - Rivas Sucks.

SS - Bartlett should be decent option, but I expect Gardy to stick with Castro

3B - Cuddyer finally gets his shot, but isn't exactly an offensive machine (considering they never felt the need for him to play over Rivas)

And he would be a nice fit in the 2 spot in their order too

Stewart - LF

Polanco - 2B(cause Rivas does suck)

Ford - DH

Morneau - 1B

Hunter - CF

Jones - RF

Cuddyer - 3B

Mauer - C

Castros/Bartlett - ss

They can have Ford hit 2nd too, but I just think that lineup would flow a lot better.

Anyways, like I did say before...I do think Houston will get him, and he'll hit about 2nd there too, playing 2B...that is, unless they want to go with Burke.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 09:53 PM)
Polanco's best positions, in order, seem to be 2b, 3b and then SS. The sox need a guy who's best position is SS, 3b and then possibly 2b. Polanco doesn't seem to fit that mold.

The problem is, is there anyone out there at the moment either on the trade market or via free agency that we can get to fill that need. At the moment, I'd probably suggest Alex Cintron, but there's not really too many others, although I'm sure KW is checking all of his options.