So, I just had my first significant interview.

3E8

And I think I blew it. I went through possible questions I would be asked last night, but I didn't practice my answers out-loud. This was a mistake. I came off far less eloquent and articulate than I actually am. There were several 'ums' and 'uhs' that I was telling myself to avoid beforehand. One question came completely out of the blue and caught me off guard. I probably stalled for 6 or 7 seconds before I started an answer to that one. The sad part is that I genuinely wanted this job. I'm feeling pretty depressed right now, just needed to vent.

Do any of you have advice or your own stories about the interviewing process?

Interview advice, both from an interviewee and an interviewer. BE YOURSELF.

By the way, it's ok to pause, it's ok to think about your answer before rattling it off. As the guy sitting across the table from you I would rather you took a second to gather your thoughts and tell me what you really think then spouting off some BS answer. That tells me that you are a person that will think about what they say rather then have a foot up your mouth when you're talking.

You don't have to have an answer to every question. If you don't know, you don't know, and the job might not be the job you thought it was. I've walked away from plenty of interviews on my own because it wasn't what I thought it was going to be.

It's a tough market, but you have to pick yourself back up, chalk it up to experience, and be ready next time.

For my internship, I had to drive to Elk Grove Villiage for the interview. Keep in mind I lived near Midway airport and had never been north of I-55 by myself. I got lost and ended up 2.5 hrs late. I didn't have a cell phone at the time so I couldn't call.

I got there and they said they understood and figured something like that happened. Well, I got through the interview and actually felt as confident as that situation would allow. I start my trek home and get to St Charles Rd on I-290 when my car died on the median. A guy in a van stopped to help me after a state trooper slowed down looked at me and left (to which I offered the Irish salute). Well, I get home and my dad and I take my car to his friend's for repairs. I figured I didn't have a shot in the dark so I didn't think about it for about 5 minutes. That's when the phone rang and it was the HR manager at the company offering me the job at $2 an hr more than what they mentioned the job was paying!

That was my favorite job to this point in my career - I worked with some of the best scientists I have ever known there.

I saw a thing on the news once about these services that will mock interview you and coach you. They tell you to come to their office as if it were a real interview. He said you wouldn't believe the amount of people that show up wearing sweats and a cap. :lol:

3E8.. don't sweat it. You probably did better than you thik. It's completely normal and natural to be nervous. "Ummms" are to be expected and as an interviewer I would rather a potential employee think about things before they respond anyway. I also like when they give more than one reply. The whole thinking outside the box thing. I'm sure you did fine. Be sure to get that "Thanks for taking the time to consider me for the position.. " letter out asap. ;)

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 09:24 PM)
Interview advice, both from an interviewee and an interviewer.  BE YOURSELF.

By the way, it's ok to pause, it's ok to think about your answer before rattling it off.  As the guy sitting across the table from you I would rather you took a second to gather your thoughts and tell me what you really think then spouting off some BS answer.  That tells me that you are a person that will think about what they say rather then have a foot up your mouth when you're talking.

You don't have to have an answer to every question.  If you don't know, you don't know, and the job might not be the job you thought it was.  I've walked away from plenty of interviews on my own because it wasn't what I thought it was going to be.

It's a tough market, but you have to pick yourself back up, chalk it up to experience, and be ready next time.

I agree 100% I've always been cited as being a "good interview" and I just take a few deep breaths and keep a smile on my face.

Kap, what do you think about "jive" answers? Like if someone asks you what a weakness is, the "books" say answer "Well I don't have weaknesses, I only have areas I need improvements..."

-I think that's BS and so phony, and I just admit to them I'm a prograstinator, but I'm able to get my work done on time.

-but yeah be yourself, you don't want to put on a charade and then have to live that lie when you work there, happiness at work is important!

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 03:48 PM)
I agree 100%  I've always been cited as being a "good interview" and I just take a few deep breaths and keep a smile on my face. 

Kap, what do you think about "jive" answers?  Like if someone asks you what a weakness is, the "books" say answer "Well I don't have weaknesses, I only have areas I need improvements..." 

-I think that's BS and so phony, and I just admit to them I'm a prograstinator, but I'm able to get my work done on time.

-but yeah be yourself, you don't want to put on a charade and then have to live that lie when you work there, happiness at work is important!

I've been offered every job I've ever interviewed for. :D

I know you didn't ask me, but I would rather hear weaknesses rather than bs. We're only human. EVERYONE could stand a bit of improvement. IMO, it shows more strength to admit there are areas you know are not your best assets.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 09:53 PM)
I've been offered every job I've ever interviewed for.  :D

I know you didn't ask me, but I would rather hear weaknesses rather than bs. We're only human. EVERYONE could stand a bit of improvement. IMO, it shows more strength to admit there are areas you know are not your best assets.

I was asking everyone, didn't mean to single out Kap... and yeah I agree, it makes me puke when people like Tracy Flick from "Election" are so over the top

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 04:56 PM)
I was asking everyone, didn't mean to single out Kap... and yeah I agree, it makes me puke when people like Tracy Flick from "Election" are so over the top

You do realize that it's a movie, right? :lol:

Best blown interviews:

Got an interview to do news/sidekick for a Contemporary Christian morning show. Actually was looking forward to the challenge of doing great radio in a "different" setting.

Til I walked in the studio. I knew I didn't want that job so I blew it on purpose... so I was honest about my views on the state of radio, and in particular CCM stations. They didn't pick me up.

My last job, I took one look at the town and didn't really want to work there either, the owner's wife tagged along for the interview and I got into an argument with her over radio philosophy, was a little out of it and made some stupid observation about the University randomly probably while she was saying something or other. The Program Director offered me the job two days later.

I think your weaknesses answer should be tailored toward looking ahead.

Meaning, if you are interviewing for your first job, say that you know that you need to learn the ins and outs of business to become successful.

If you are a middle manager, say something like, you need to learn the ability to think more like an executive so that you are presenting the things they need to run a successful business, etc.

If you are a clerk, you say that you want to pay attention to detail to ensure accuracy of what's entered.

You get the idea.

Another slant is you have had time to evaluate how the interview is going at that point when they ask those types of questions. You can take answers that you have learned during the interview and use that to your advantage as well. That tells me that someone is very good at adapting to a situation.

Take the interviewer's own thoughts and words and get into a conversation about it. In that light, you're not "interviewing", you're having a conversation about an opportunity.

Hopefully that makes sense.

One of the adjustments I've had to make is being interviewed now by people younger than me. I hadn't had a "real" interview in 15 years. It's been people coming to me and almost offering a position. As much as I would have liked the EVP of International Sales position, I knew I really didn't have a chance. They also had a position for a Representative. I know that would have been a lead pipe cinch to get. I thought getting to the third level of interviews was a victory

I don't mind getting turned down if I'm stretching. I would feel really strange if I ever got turned down for one I wasn't stretching for.

Some real good advice being shared around in this thread, I've definitely taken something out of it.

My two cents. As it's been pointed out, practise makes perfect. You aren't going to have perfect interview first time up where everything goes fantastically, it just doesn't happen. My first one for a casual job, I was a bumbling wreck, and wasn't very confident in myself. The more interviews you have, the more you get to open yourself up to the interviewer. Body language is also extremely important I've been taught from my careers counsellor at High School. You don't want to slouch back and look lazy in your seat, and sit on your hands because you extremely nervous. Make sure you make eye contact at all times, and be confident in yourself.

Another thing to learn, is to actually have some information and know - how about the job you are applying for and the industry you will be possibly working in. My sister applied for a job at the Treasurer's Office for the National Government down here, and they asked her 35 minutes of questions about what she thought of taxes, super - annuation, how they work etc. If you can do well in this regard, you'll have so much better of a chance at getting the job. It's also good to have some questions to ask the interviewer at the end of the process, to show that you interested and want to know more.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 03:23 PM)
Its all a matter of practice.

That's definitely true. There's really no better preparation for an interview than previous interviews. After you get through a couple, you'll have answers for all of the stupid HR questions ("Give an example of a time when... and what you did about it?") and some of the trickier ones. Also, research the hell out of the company before the interview. Ask questions about their product portfolio and business strategies (especially if you interview with a higher-up). If you're interviewing at a scientific/medical/engineering instutite, look up the publications of the people who are interviewing you (if they have any) beforehand and ask questions about them. During the interview, try to relax, smile a lot, and try to keep up a high energy level.

Oh, and if you're not offered the position, don't take it personally. Despite the country's slight economic improvement over the past year, the job market has still not rebounded. The supply of job seekers far outweighs the demand for them at this point and, therefore, employers will be picky. But you will find a good job sooner or later.