Frank releases advance copy of steroid testimony!

Jabroni

"Thomas releases advance copy of steroid testimony"

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...ack=1&cset=true

Frank Thomas' statement: Good morning, Mr. Chairman and members of the Committee. I want to thank the Chairman and the ranking member for allowing me to make this statement. My name is Frank Thomas and I am a baseball player for the Chicago White Sox--a team I am proud to have been part of since joining Major League Baseball in 1989.

First of all, Mr. Chairman, let me say that as an outspoken critic of steroids, I would like to work with this Committee, Major League Baseball, and the Players Association to warn everyone – especially young people – about the dangers of performance enhancing drugs. Steroids are dangerous and the public should be educated about them, and in particular, parents should make sure their children are aware that steroids can be bad for their health.

I also believe the league and the Players' Association have done the right thing by reopening our collective bargaining agreement and strengthening our policy on drug testing. I support this new policy as a very good first step in eliminating steroid use from the sport I love.

I have been a major league ballplayer for 15 years. Throughout my career, I have not used steroids. Ever.

Thank you, Mr. Chairman and members of the Committee.

Jerry Reinsdorf's statement: The White Sox greatly appreciate the Committee's flexibility in allowing Frank Thomas to speak via video conference call tomorrow from Tucson, Ariz.

This solution gives Frank the opportunity to speak publicly regarding his strong anti-steroid stance while also allowing Frank to continue his rehabilitation on schedule in Tucson. The White Sox appreciate the Committee's willingness to consider Frank's medical concerns, and we thank the Committee for its flexibility on behalf of both Frank Thomas and the Chicago White Sox.

Frank has spoken out strongly against the use of steroids in Major League Baseball many times during his career with the White Sox. We commend him for this stance and for his willingness to express his thoughts and opinions in front of the Committee and the public.

We share Frank's hope that his comments help the Committee understand the issue of steroids in baseball, that his testimony help those trying to improve the game, and most importantly, that his comments might make a positive impression on young athletes.

Edited by Jabroni

It's great, Way to Go Frank!!! :headbang

I love how he called the new policy a good first step not the end all of steroid testing...

"I have been a major league ballplayer for 15 years. Throughout my career, I have not used steroids. Ever." That is Beautiful... Take that Giambi :finger

Again, Nice Job Big Hurt!!!

On the Score 670, Lester Munson is reporting that one of the congressmen is going to go straight at the players about steroids. He will ask Sosa and McGwire if they were using performance-enhancing drugs during the homerun race of 1998 and how often they used them! :o :cheers

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 16, 2005 -> 08:49 PM)
On the Score 670, Lester Munson is reporting that one of the congressmen is going to go straight at the players about steroids.  He will ask Sosa and McGwire if they were using performance-enhancing drugs during the homerun race of 1998 and how often they used them! :o  :cheers

The hearing is going to be televised right? If so what time? On CSPAN right?

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 16, 2005 -> 08:49 PM)
On the Score 670, Lester Munson is reporting that one of the congressmen is going to go straight at the players about steroids.  He will ask Sosa and McGwire if they were using performance-enhancing drugs during the homerun race of 1998 and how often they used them! :o  :cheers

I can't help but be curious as to mainly how Sosa wil answer. He's lied about so many things already (Cork, Cubs issues, etc). Heck, I looked at my old baseball cards of him, and when he started out, man, the guy was built and looked like a broom handle with arms and legs. With his over-inflated ego, I wonder if he'll somehow not ell the truth and find yet another way to weasel out from admitting guilt, without getting burned.

I can't help but be curious as to mainly how Sosa wil answer. He's lied about so many things already (Cork, Cubs issues, etc). Heck, I looked at my old baseball cards of him, and when he started out, man, the guy was built and looked like a broom handle with arms and legs. With his over-inflated ego, I wonder if he'll somehow not ell the truth and find yet another way to weasel out from admitting guilt, without getting burned.

Sosa will either plead the 5th or lie and perjure himself. I don't see him admitting to using steroids but I would be shocked if he did.

QUOTE(Rooftop Shots @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 03:19 AM)

He will take the fifth and so will Mcquire and palmario. There is no doubt in my mind.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 03:27 AM)
Sosa will either plead the 5th or lie and perjure himself.  I don't see him admitting to using steroids but I would be shocked if he did.

I don't even think he is a citizen of the US. There is no proof so why not lie. he will lie. Even if he gets caught in a lie 5 years later he won't be here. He will be in his own country. he will lie. Mcquire will plead the fifth.

isn't the hearings on tv?  i heard cspan 3.....i also heard comcast might show them.

http://espn.go.com/

Hearing Check

The dance of lawyers appears over. We now know who's coming (Big Mac, Sammy, Bud and others) to the Congressional hearing on steroids. Find out what they'll say Thursday at 10 a.m. ET on ESPN. Story

I also just heard on WSCR 670 The Score that Frank Thomas will be the last player to testify, via teleconference of course. This is good news. You always remember the the last person to speak the most. :headbang

Pleading the fifth implecates them, even if theyre not technically guilty, the public will see pleading the fifth as guilty...

So Sammy, Mark, and Jason... this one's for you  :finger

Jason Giambi isn't testifying. They didn't want to interfere with his BALCO case. :rolly But we all know he's guilty already anyways.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Mar 16, 2005 -> 09:47 PM)
Pleading the fifth implecates them, even if theyre not technically guilty, the public will see pleading the fifth as guilty...

The fifth ammendment is the founding fathers little legal joke. LEGALLY by pleading the 5th you are not implicating yourself. But by not denying, you are admiting to it in the plublic opinion. i love it! lol

On WSCR 670, Lester Munson thinks that McGwire, Sosa, and Palmeiro will all deny using steroids to the committee. He says they won't plead the 5th because that will make the public assume guilt.

The committee will then have to find a trainer or someone else to prove that the players perjured themselves. He doesn't think that there will end up being any legal prosecution taken against the players though.

Edited by Jabroni

They also said on the Score that the committee may have incriminating documents against the players that are testifying. So if the players perjure themselves tomorrow, the committee could have evidence to prove they were lying. This is gonna be good!

QUOTE(LDF @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 06:41 AM)
and what will happen to them if they do lie and are found out?

Ask Bill Clinton what happens when you lie to Congress.

I am really glad they hooked up Frank so that he doesn't have to travel by plane. Everyday that is set back, hurts.

And finally you go big fella, make us all proud. :cheers