Ozuna

easyw

I think the obvious - Pablo Ozuna has really made a case that he should be brought north with the Sox in April, instead of Wilson Valdez (or possibly Willie Harris at this point). Take a look at this:

Last season with Scranton Wilkes-Barre (AAA Internaional League) in 126 games, 472 AB, .307/.415/.344. 76 RBIs, 31 SB in 43 attempts. He also had 27 doubles, 3 triples, 6 homers 22 walks, 77 runs, 196 TB. He struck out 43 times and committed 15 errors splitting his time evenly between 2B and SS.

This Winter - In the Dominican League with Estrellas Del Oriente (which roughly translates to "Stars of the Orient"), he played in all 46 games, batted .344/.470/.378, was 24 for 24 in stolen bases, 3 homers, 3 triples, 18 RBIs in the regular season. In the post season, he played all 18 games, and had 18 hits, .254/.324/.284, 3 SB, 7 RBIs.

Kinda makes ya wonder how this guys has quietly slipped thru the cracks.

This Spring - with the Sox, thru thursday, he's hitting .553 in 38 AB, and is the team leader with 21 hits. Just a week ago he was hitting .462! Only 1 SB in 4 attempts, but his speed suggests he'll improve. He's also got 27 TB, 6 RBIs, a triple, 4 doubles and 8 runs scored.

What a workhorse. Does he ever take a month off? Oddly, these stats suggest he is getting better the more he plays. If this trend continues, I predict that by August, he'll have grown into a 30 foot giant and shatter every hitting record in major league history. OK, maybe not, but I bet he'll out hit Timo Perez and Alverez.

I didn't quote the stats for Alverez or Harris in the above comparison, because they're not even close. Plus, Ozuna can play just about any position. Hear that KW and Ozzie? Barring a collaspe in the final week Ozuna needs to be on that roster when the Sox return to 35th and Shields on April 4.

wow i am so excited for the sox's future. Suddenly weve got all this talent that seems to have 'popped out of nowhere' and its really exciting. I hope Ozuna doesnt make the team though because it would be a waste of his talents being a bench player. I say keep him at AAA until someone fails or next year etc etc. Same thing with BMac. I think we should let them play until we need them, not have them rot on a ML bench.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Mar 26, 2005 -> 10:51 AM)
wow i am so excited for the sox's future.  Suddenly weve got all this talent that seems to have 'popped out of nowhere' and its really exciting.  I hope Ozuna doesnt make the team though because it would be a waste of his talents being a bench player.  I say keep him at AAA until someone fails or next year etc etc.  Same thing with BMac.  I think we should let them play until we need them, not have them rot on a ML bench.

I agree wholeheartedly, you cant waste a guy on the bench or make BMac a reliever, it only hurts their future.

With one hit in three at-bats Friday, Ozuna currently is hitting .536. He has 15 hits in his last 23 at-bats.

Apparently, he is leading the entire team in hits with 22. Rowand is second with 19. There is no reason why he should NOT make the team.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 26, 2005 -> 02:48 PM)
Who cares if Ozuna is 30?  Iguchi is 30 and he's our starter.  I'd rather have an older, established hitter off the bench than have to depend on a young turd like Willie.

Playing in 65 MLB games by the age of 30 isn't exactly what I would label an established hitter. Ozuna deserves to make the roster right now as a bench player, and nothing more than that.

Playing in 65 MLB games by the age of 30 isn't exactly what I would label an established hitter.  Ozuna deserves to make the roster right now as a bench player, and nothing more than that.

Well, he is somewhat an established hitter because he spent so much time in the minors hitting and hitting well. It may not be the majors but it's better than nothing.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 26, 2005 -> 07:48 PM)
Who cares if Ozuna is 30?  Iguchi is 30 and he's our starter.  I'd rather have an older, established hitter off the bench than have to depend on a young turd like Willie.

Young turd? Alrighty then, I'm glad we're having some great baseball discussion.

I brought up his age because people were talking like he's a big-time prospect or something who needs to be playing every day, not be on the bench. He's 30 -- he's no longer a prospect, so it best serves our organization if he's on the bench...

Oh, and I wanted to bring this up somewhere. Harris had over 100 more walks in less than 1000+ AB's than Ozuna in the minors... Just, FWIW.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 26, 2005 -> 09:11 PM)
Young turd?  Alrighty then, I'm glad we're having some great baseball discussion.

I brought up his age because people were talking like he's a big-time prospect or something who needs to be playing every day, not be on the bench.  He's 30 -- he's no longer a prospect, so it best serves our organization if he's on the bench...

Oh, and I wanted to bring this up somewhere.  Harris had over 100 more walks in less than 1000+ AB's than Ozuna in the minors...  Just, FWIW.

Walks in the minor leagues don't necessarily mean very much. Look at guys like Michael Young.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New York-Penn League » St. Catharines Stompers 06/17 to 09/03 1997

AVG G AB R H RBI 2B 3B HR BB SO SB CS

.308 74 276 49 85 48 18 3 9 33 59 9 5

South Atlantic League » Hagerstown Suns 04/02 to 08/30 1998

.282 140 522 86 147 87 33 5 16 55 96 16 8

Florida State League » Dunedin Blue Jays 04/08 to 09/05 1999

.313 129 495 86 155 83 36 3 5 61 78 30 6

Southern League » Tennessee Smokies 04/06 to 07/18 2000

.275 91 345 51 95 47 24 5 6 36 72 16 5

Texas League » Tulsa Drillers 07/20 to 09/03 2000

.319 43 188 30 60 32 13 5 1 17 28 9 3

Pacific Coast League » Oklahoma Redhawks 04/05 to 05/24 2001

.291 47 189 28 55 28 8 0 8 20 34 3 3

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Mar 27, 2005 -> 07:17 PM)
Walks in the minor leagues don't necessarily mean very much.  Look at guys like Michael Young.

Yeah, but it tends to translate better to the major leagues than a high batting average does. And, Young seems alright as far as 'walking', but he didn't show a lot of consistency at taking the base on balls in the minors. For the most part, it seems that Young relies on a fairly high BA to get on base, though he's not 'afraid' (lack of a better word) of taking a walk.

Young turd?  Alrighty then, I'm glad we're having some great baseball discussion.

I brought up his age because people were talking like he's a big-time prospect or something who needs to be playing every day, not be on the bench.  He's 30 -- he's no longer a prospect, so it best serves our organization if he's on the bench...

Oh, and I wanted to bring this up somewhere.  Harris had over 100 more walks in less than 1000+ AB's than Ozuna in the minors...  Just, FWIW.

Willie Harris (Minor League Totals)

.290 AVG

.369 OBP

.415 SLG

.784 OPS

Pablo Ozuna (Minor League Totals)

.317 AVG

.357 OBP

.443 SLG

.800 OPS

Also keep in mind that while Willie can play 2B, CF, and possibly some SS, Ozuna can play 2B, SS, 3B, and the OF. Ozuna has played CF in the past just like Willie. I never said that Ozuna should start but I do think he could make a better bench player than Willie.

Edited by Jabroni