ESPN Radio Update just said

JDsDirtySox

One thing I would guess almost for sure, is that the Sox are NOT going to get a major leaguer for Davis. Right now the 40 man is at 38 players. Subtract out Davis and we have 37. Right now we need to add Ozuna and the new catcher (Widger or Burke), and I am guessing that they want to leave the last spot open for McCarthy's eventual call up.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 09:46 AM)
I agree, my guess is the Dodgers as well.

If it's just Davis I'm guessing a prospect comes our way.  If a relief pitcher is added to the deal, the Sox might add a major league reliever in return.  They can't be happy with Politte's performance this spring.

I tend to agree with you that Politte could be apart of a package. However, if thats the case I would hope the Sox would pick up a quality reliever. I don't really think the Dodgers have any reliever of that caliber that they would be willing to deal.

Heck, there pitching staff is in enough trouble right now with some of there injuries.

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 11:31 AM)
Burke was already sent down, so my guess is that Widger would make the team as the backup.  With all of this being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see Widger get traded instead of Davis.

nobody wants widger cause he is older than Ben. Ben was a first round draft pick that people still think will work out.

Honestly the more I think about this, the little it makes sense. Widger is nothing but a bum. Yes, he's a solid catcher but Burke did a nice job at the major league level last year and is Buehrle's personal catcher.

He also has a lot more familiarity with the staff. If the Sox are dealing Davis, they better have Burke's ass in Chicago cause he's superior to Widger.

On a sidenote, I just don't see where this move makes sense, unless they are getting something that can help them.

I doubt it will add or subtract a win this season, so it's just a nice diversion before the main feast. Just a well educated guest, but anything short of Davis for Gagne will have the Kenny hater complaining. :D

I'm a little surprised that we haven't heard Willie's name in all this. I am expecting someone to make an offer that Kenny can not refuse.

Edited by Texsox

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 11:44 AM)
I'm gonna throw out the Dodgers once again.  They have Jason Phillips but need someone else cause Dave Ross is likely gone and he's there other catcher. 

I know they like Navarre, but I don't think he's ready.

You may be right. He may go to the Dodgers.

Dave Ross was traded to the Pirates today.

Pirates acquired catcher David Ross from the Dodgers for cash considerations.

Ross gives the Pirates an alternative to rushing Ryan Doumit should they lose one of their top two catchers. He's expected to open the season at Triple-A Indianapolis

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 11:55 AM)
Honestly the more I think about this, the little it makes sense. Widger is nothing but a bum.  Yes, he's a solid catcher but Burke did a nice job at the major league level last year and is Buehrle's personal catcher.

He also has a lot more familiarity with the staff.  If the Sox are dealing Davis, they better have Burke's ass in Chicago cause he's superior to Widger. 

On a sidenote, I just don't see where this move makes sense, unless they are getting something that can help them.

How about trading Davis who is overpaid, and placing Widger who is close to the same type of catcher, a little better defensively for less money. They can send Burke down because he has options, but they can send Widger down because he can then be picked up by other teams.

I dont understand this absolute love for Davis, Ozzie was upset that he came to camp overweight, has been sitting out because his finger hurts, and has under achieved his whole career. He will bat .250 and back up AJ for a million dollars, why not get someone to do it for less than half of that???

Widger numbers have shown he sucks, Burke has done nothing but hit in the majors with the Sox.  The only reason Burke goes down instead of Widger is because Widger can hit for much more power than Burke.

This is total speculation on your part.

The Sox staff watched all the catchers for the past 6 weeks, they should have a good idea of who's better defensively, calls a better game, etc.

If they came to the conclusion Widger is better than Burke overall, they would know. Neither Widger or Burke hit for power, it's a non issue.

Burke is superior to Widger. He's a better hitter and better defensively, plus he's Buerhle's personal catcher.

I don't have a problem dealing Ben Davis, but if your doing it for Chris Widger I'll pass.

And I'm pretty confident he'll be headed to the Dodgers. On a sidenote, the Yankees just traded a pretty damn good arm to the Angels for backup catcher Wil Nieves. They got some guy named Prinz who throws 96 and was a highly thought of closing prospect with the Dbacks a year ago but suffered from a severe groin injury (don't even want to think about how much that must of hurt).

Burke is superior to Widger.  He's a better hitter and better defensively, plus he's Buerhle's personal catcher.

I don't think either guy is a world beater, but Jason, Burke is no defensive standout. He's serviceable, and that's it. There is a reason why Widger has quite a bit more major league experience, and there's a reason why Widger was brought in.

Also, I think this Buehrle's personal catcher angle is overplayed. Mark B. can pitch to anyone, and do quite well. If they go with Widger I don't think Buehrle will have one bit of problem throwing to him, or to Pierzynski.

If they trade Davis and get a catching prospect in return, I will be ok with it. Not that they care what I think.

I have been watching both in ST, and I personally think that Widger is a better catcher than Burke. Jamie is a decent contact hitter, but it looked like Widger not only looked better defensively, but he was hitting in the correct areas situationally. I think that another factor was that they wanted to keep both receivers, but they CANNOT send Widger down because he will be claimed.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 12:24 PM)
I have been watching both in ST, and I personally think that Widger is a better catcher than Burke.  Jamie is a decent contact hitter, but it looked like Widger not only looked better defensively, but he was hitting in the correct areas situationally.  I think that another factor was that they wanted to keep both receivers, but they CANNOT send Widger down because he will be claimed.

Widger has a minor league contract. He doesn't need to be sent down. He actually would need to be called up to break camp with the Sox.

Remember, Kenny did not, and I repeat, not, have his sights set on a catcher this off-season. Kenny said they felt very comfortable with a catching tandum of Davis and Burke and felt an upgrade, although needed, was not as necessary as some of the other gaping holes that needed mending. Pierzynski kinda fell into the Sox lap this winter. No one saw it coming, it just kinda happened.

Kenny brought in all these catchers to camp to see what they could do. Widger, after having spent one full year out of baseball, came in and impressed. From what I've seen, he seems to be a quality receiver and knows his position. I don't think you will get any offensive production from him, but it's really not a priority.

Face it, Burke is a 33-year-old journeyman. He hasn't been up in the big leagues for a reason. You can also scratch him as a viable option at 3B in a backup roll...he's a butcher with the glove over there.

Does a move need to be made? No. Personally, I think a Pierzynski-Davis tandum is one of the better catching tandums in the entire AL. I really see no need for a trade. At $1M Davis isn't going to bury the club financially.

If Kenny thinks he can can a club willing to overpay for Davis, I think he'll go for it. If not, he'll probably stick with Ben.

I'm just worried Pierzynski goes down with an injury in the first month of the season and we have to write Widger in an everyday setting. I'd feel much more comfortable putting Gentle Ben in an everyday setting than Widger.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 12:26 PM)
Widger has a minor league contract.  He doesn't need to be sent down.  He actually would need to be called up to break camp with the Sox.

I was under the impression that we hadnt bought his contract, so if he didnt send him up, he would be able to be bought out by other teams.

What realistically would make Sox fans happy?

A solid hitting, MLB ready, third baseman

After that I don't see anything we would make an upgrade at. We traded for or signed via free agency the guys starting in Left, Right, Second, Catcher, and basically 3/5 of the starting staff since last year. Kong is a legit All-Star prospect at 1st and A-Row could be in Center.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 12:42 PM)
I was under the impression that we hadnt bought his contract, so if he didnt send him up, he would be able to be bought out by other teams.

Actually IIRC we have some kind of an understanding with him, where if we have not called him up by a certian date, he can request us to release him.