ESPN Radio Update just said

JDsDirtySox

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 12:42 PM)
In a bizzare way I was thinking that. Doesn't Kenny like his potential? Or maybe that was another GM..

Minor League Totals: 6 Seasons

.296 AVG, .348 OBP, .413 SLG, 761 OPS

Fielding

2004- 1.000 PCT, 3.97 RF

Salary

$301,000

I'm still shocked that Jabroni wasn't the one who started the thread... :o

:P

Anyways, if what Jason said is true about the Yankees -- that they traded a pretty good prospect just for a backup catcher, than I'm hoping that Kenny can hit the jackpot here. Well, maybe not that, but I'd be really happy if he can get a solid prospect.

(On a sidenote, I dunno what to think about this fantasy baseball trade -- Ichiro, Marcus Giles, and Guardado for Willis, Nixon, and Vidro) -- Thread hijack over, my bad.

Let me start out by saying that Cliff Politte is garbage, and I found it absolute bulls*** that the White Sox couldn't find anyone better in free agency than that piece of s***.

Secondly, trade Davis, I mean yeah, he was decent when he was with us, but he's nothing overly spectacular for a back-up. I like Burke better than Davis.

The reason we've been carrying 3 catchers is because of injuries and liability of cash flow on the roster.

It is silly to keep Davis and send Burke down, potentially losing him. Widger sucks, let him go.

If we can pry Kim from the Red Sox, I say we take him. Seriously, I don't care about Bmac right now, we can save him for later. Or is there a rule that he has to be on the 40 at the start of the year or he can't be called up?

I'd think we'd be able to get rid of Politte and Davis...it might work, if we got that 40 spot for BMac and that pitcher in Kim.

You may be right. He may go to the Dodgers.

Dave Ross was traded to the Pirates today.

Maybe not. The Dodgers have a catching duo of Jason Phillips and Paul Bako. They also have Dioner Navarro as their third string catcher in the minors.

Honestly though, I wouldn't mind packaging Davis and Politte for someone and giving Politte's roster spot to Adkins. Politte just scares me on the mound.

How about Ben Davis for Joey Thurston?

I sure wouldn't mind that trade though.

I'm still shocked that Jabroni wasn't the one who started the thread...  :o

:P

:lol: :cheers

Edited by Jabroni

I read at another Sox board that Bruce LeVineLine also said that Widger will be the backup after Davis is traded. Is this true? Poor Jamie Burke. :crying

But I guess LeVineLine also said that the Sox would end up eating some of Davis' $1 million salary but still end up saving money on the deal and get something back.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 01:53 PM)
(On a sidenote, I dunno what to think about this fantasy baseball trade -- Ichiro, Marcus Giles, and Guardado for Willis, Nixon, and Vidro)  -- Thread hijack over, my bad.

If you were the one who got Ichiro that's a great trade. If not, thumbs down.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
I read at another Sox board that Bruce LeVineLine also said that Widger will be the backup after Davis is traded.  Is this true?  Poor Jamie Burke. :crying

Burke has already been sent down.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 01:07 PM)
Burke was a non-roster invitee just like Widger.  The Sox could have added either to the roster if they wanted to.

True. They chose to send Burke down. I would assume that they think Widger is the better of the two.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 01:11 PM)
It seems like Burke is always getting the s*** end of the stick. I've always liked the guy. But then again, I was really sad to see Sandy get tossed out with the garbage.

That's baseball. :huh

I just found this nicely typed up report from another Sox site...

I heard the report this morning, and here is what I remember from what Levine said:

-Sox will move Davis probably by the end of today

-Sox coaches were unhappy with the shape Davis was in when he reported to camp, also he has had limited action in ST games because he is recovering from some kind of hand injury

-Sox management happy with Widger's defensive ability and experience which is why he has the inside track to be the backup catcher

-Levine was adament that the reports from Minny about AJ are completely fabricated

-Levine not sure whether the Sox will have to pay some of Ben's salary but they will definitely save money in the deal. Sox management feels $1.1 million is too much to pay for a backup catcher.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)
Why does the organization s*** on Jaimie so much? He has proven himself numerous times in the big leagues.

You might want to rethink that one. Jaime Burke has 5 ML at bats that were not with the White Sox. The Sox are the one team that has given him a real chance at the majors. And as for "proving" himself, Jaime got 120 ABs last year, which was 10 times the ABs he had ever had in a season. I would hardly call him proven with a career total of ABs that is just barely past the number that would lose him his rookie status.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)
Why does the organization s*** on Jaimie so much? He has proven himself numerous times in the big leagues.

Proving himself to be an average at best utilityman/catcher with no power right???

Come on, Burke is a career triple A guy, kinda like with the Wolves and Steve Maltais, solid in the minors but back up material in the Show.

Edited by Pauly8509CWS

Let me start out by saying that Cliff Politte is garbage, and I found it absolute bulls*** that the White Sox couldn't find anyone better in free agency than that piece of s***.

Secondly, trade Davis, I mean yeah, he was decent when he was with us, but he's nothing overly spectacular for a back-up. I like Burke better than Davis.

The reason we've been carrying 3 catchers is because of injuries and liability of cash flow on the roster.

It is silly to keep Davis and send Burke down, potentially losing him. Widger sucks, let him go.

If we can pry Kim from the Red Sox, I say we take him. Seriously, I don't care about Bmac right now, we can save him for later. Or is there a rule that he has to be on the 40 at the start of the year or he can't be called up?

I'd think we'd be able to get rid of Politte and Davis...it might work, if we got that 40 spot for BMac and that pitcher in Kim.

Ross, the Sox are in no danger of losing Burke. He signed a minor league deal and has already said he'll play in Charlotte. Widger has quite a bit more major league experience than Burke.

Kim makes about $6M ... unless the Red Sox pay a huge bundle of that, forget it.

The Sox have been carrying three catchers because there are a ton of spring games to be caught, nothing more.

McCarthy ... they will add him only when absolutely necessary, not before. I do suspect it will be sometime in 2005 though. Pitchers miss starts and someone always gets called up.

No question about it.

Yep.

Chris Widger

.242 career AVG

.403 career SLG

Mike Matheny

.239 career AVG

.336 career SLG

Now, I'm not saying that Widger is on par with Matheny but this is likely about defensive prowess behind the plate. By the way, Ben Davis hasn't even been a better hitter over his career than Widger...

Ben Davis

.237 career AVG

.366 career SLG

Edited by Jabroni