Observations

kapkomet

actually Garlands sinker wasnt looking 2 bad against the brewers he threw a real nice one to Carlos Lee and than his 2nd one was good too but Clee just bashed it. Also keep in mind Westbrook didnt have his first good season till last year where he was about Garlands age now.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 4, 2005 -> 09:33 PM)
The big difference is that many managers call games from the dugout, which slows it down a bit.  When you have a battery like AJ and MB, Ozzie could go Jerry Manuel and take a nap.

I was watching Detroit-KC today, and the Tigers had Rodriguez getting signs from the dugout. You'd think Rodriguez would have enough experience to call a game on his own. I must say though, Bonderman was impressive today.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 04:12 PM)
I was watching Detroit-KC today, and the Tigers had Rodriguez getting signs from the dugout.  You'd think Rodriguez would have enough experience to call a game on his own.  I must say though, Bonderman was impressive today.

Bonderman's the X Factor for Detroit. A lot of people are thinking he's going to be the breakout player this season, and on today's form he's done nothing to quell the hype. They need the rest of the rotation in guys like Ledezma to hold up as well though, although pitching in that huge park in Comerica will no doubt help.

Everyone remarking that Westbrook was dealing... Take a mental picture of his sinker.....

OK now recall Jon Garland's best sinker.

The two are not even close.  I'm a big Jon Garland fan, but don't let anyone tell you how great his stuff is.  It just doesn't stack up.

Agreed X Infinity.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 4, 2005 -> 08:33 PM)
  When you have a battery like AJ and MB, Ozzie could go Jerry Manuel and take a nap.

Haven't seen that kind of combo since the Fisk/Hoyt days. 2 experienced guys really in sinc, and A.J.'s game calling to help others on the staff. Fisk was a master at that. Don't get me wrong, Hoyt,Burns,Dotson,Bannister were a great staff, but Fisk's experience and game calling were a HUGE part of their success. Let's hope that A.J. will do the same. Both had/have did their homework, and played with a great deal of intensity.

QUOTE(Rooftop Shots @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 06:30 AM)
Haven't seen that kind of combo since the Fisk/Hoyt days. 2 experienced guys really in sinc, and A.J.'s game calling to help others on the staff. Fisk was a master at that. Don't get me wrong, Hoyt,Burns,Dotson,Bannister were a great staff, but Fisk's experience and game calling were a HUGE part of their success. Let's hope that A.J. will do the same. Both had/have did their homework, and played with a great deal of intensity.

Somewhere, in one of the many articles I've read on the game, it was stated the Peirzinski asked for and received tapes of Buehrle vs. Cleveland games. He studied them and knew how Buehrle wanted to approach the Tribe hitters by watching what he had done in the past. This does not sound like a catcher that won't work with his pitching staff to me.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 11:36 AM)
Somewhere, in one of the many articles I've read on the game, it was stated the Peirzinski asked for and received tapes of Buehrle vs. Cleveland games.  He studied them and knew how Buehrle wanted to approach the Tribe hitters by watching what he had done in the past.  This does not sound like a catcher that won't work with his pitching staff to me.

I'm telling you - the guy does this kind of stuff, it's going to be a magical year for the southside. Really, it's how the adversity is handled that will tell us about our team.

And I also think that this weekend's series against the Twinkies will REALLY set the tone for this ballclub this year.

(You KNOW someone's getting a ball in his ear sometime this weekend...)

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 06:15 AM)
Bonderman's the X Factor for Detroit. A lot of people are thinking he's going to be the breakout player this season, and on today's form he's done nothing to quell the hype. They need the rest of the rotation in guys like Ledezma to hold up as well though, although pitching in that huge park in Comerica will no doubt help.

Just remember, Bonderman did that against the 104-loss Royals. When he does that against the Yank-mes or Angels, then they can annoint him Cy Young.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 12:33 AM)
I have not read through any of the game threads, etc.

And I have little idea other then MB pitched his ass off, and Shingo got the save.

But I will say this, and people that were there or watched, help me out here.

Is this not the kind of game that last year, we found ways to lose?  1-0... not the 11-0 or 12-2 crap... the one run, squeaker, mentally tough kind of games...

Let's hope this continues, because the mental makeup of a team can go a long ways to win games like these...

:gosox1:

The sox want to be a team that doesn't hurt itself [ie, make stupid mistakes on the bases and in the field, and waste prime scoring opportunities]. That way they can put themselves in position to win close games. With a very strong bullpen, the sox can be tied and still win games late, or hold onto a 1 run lead. The last few years the sox would need more than 1 run if they were leading late, or would be hoping for a HR if they were losing. Even if the sox were down a run or two, they don't have to wait on the HR in order to stage a comeback.

If think the sox will be a mentally stronger team if they play like this. Late inning pressure situations won't affect them, if they play more close games. And if the sox can mount comebacks with the small ball, they'll realize that they're not out of any game until the last of the 9th

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 05:36 AM)
Somewhere, in one of the many articles I've read on the game, it was stated the Peirzinski asked for and received tapes of Buehrle vs. Cleveland games.  He studied them and knew how Buehrle wanted to approach the Tribe hitters by watching what he had done in the past.  This does not sound like a catcher that won't work with his pitching staff to me.

Of all of the changes we made this year, no doubt AJ has the chance to make the biggest impact. We have had so many crappy to, at best, ok catchers since Pudge got run out the door, that even a good catcher like AJ can be a huge benefit to everyone around him.

Er, slow down a bit people.

Buerhle looked great, but A) Hasn't he had a pretty good track record against the Indians? B) It was the first game of the season.

Pierzynski looked fine behind the plate, but anything but fine at the plate. He, Pods, and Iguichi looked terrible at the plate yesterday.

There were very few flyouts by the Sox yesterday, hopefully that can continue.

Don't forget, the Sox were one Jhonny Peralta error away from having runners in scoring position with less than 2 outs, and not scoring anybody(again). Having Rowand hit a bouncer to short with a man on third, and later having Crede ground into an inning-ending DP is not my idea of OzzieBall.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 01:39 PM)

That's mostly because they were facing Westbrook, the guy is a gb monster.

Obviously we want to avoid outs -- but as for flyouts vs. groundouts, I don't think there's much of an advantage, in general. I guess you could argue that you move runners along better -- but Dye moved PK along w/ a flyout yesterday, and Crede would have helped us a lot more with a (medium-long) flyout, and w/ more groundouts will also come more gidp. So I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

Edited by jackie hayes

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 05:41 AM)
Just remember, Bonderman did that against the 104-loss Royals.  When he does that against the Yank-mes or Angels, then they can annoint him Cy Young.

Thats a tough statement. I for one, watched him pitch, and he looks to me like what Hudson looked like a few years ago. he is going to be a good one for sure. The x-factor for detroit in my eyes, is the rest of the rotation, and the power-happy offense

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 03:42 PM)
Thats a tough statement. I for one, watched him pitch, and he looks to me like what Hudson looked like a few years ago.  he is going to be a good one for sure.  The x-factor for detroit in my eyes, is the rest of the rotation, and the power-happy offense

I'm not saying he doesn't have good stuff, I am just saying that so far, all he faced was the Royals. But you are right, the rest of their rotation is a crap shoot.

So far so good on AJ, and I've been vocally against him. No cpmplaints right now. Let's pull it back a little on him though until we see a greater body of work. I think some want him to get the new pope job. After a few months, we'll know what we have and if things keep up-I'll get a chance to admit I was wrong

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 01:39 PM)
Er, slow down a bit people.

Buerhle looked great, but A) Hasn't he had a pretty good track record against the Indians? B) It was the first game of the season.

Pierzynski looked fine behind the plate, but anything but fine at the plate.  He, Pods, and Iguichi looked terrible at the plate yesterday.

Don't forget, the Sox were one Jhonny Peralta error away from having runners in scoring position with less than 2 outs, and not scoring anybody(again).  Having Rowand hit a bouncer to short with a man on third, and later having Crede ground into an inning-ending DP is not my idea of OzzieBall.

No, it was 'We-Got-Lucky'-Ball, but that's OK -- we deserve some of those bounces, it seems like those always go against us.

And, Pierzynski didn't look great, but he wasn't terrible. I think it was his second AB, he ripped a liner up the middle, that would have been an RBI single had it not been for the shift they had on him. Plus, he got that ground ball that Belliard bobbled -- they counted that as a hit.

And, that's the big test for Freddy this year -- getting more GB outs. Hopefully, he can use his fastball more, and when he uses his breaking pitches, keep them down in the zone. Buehrle was unpredictable yesterday, let's hope Freddy G. is the same.