Sox @ Twinkies: 4/9/05 Game Thread

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 01:22 AM)
Ya know, thinking about the past few years and this year, I have to admit...and I'm not just saying this because we are winning...but the feeling of the Twins has changed to me.  The past few years I've feared the Twins, especially in the Twinkie Dome...but this season, I'm not feeling that...AT ALL.

I *really* like this team -- they can hit it long, and when they cannot hit it long, they can do the little things, like taking 2 bases (pods) on a error, steal some bases, put pressure on opposing defenses, etc.

Am I alone in saying something just feels different about the Twins this year, as if their 'mystique' isn't quite the same?!

Well, people were saying the same things last year at this time, too. That we were going to surprise everyone and win the division.

I mean, I don't mean to piss on the parade, just sayin'...

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I know exactly what you were saying, but last year, I didn't feel that...I still felt as if the Twins just had "something" on us...I just don't see it this year...they lost some key components that gave that team that "fire", they weren't even the best players on that team, but for some reason they added some nitro to the teams overall psyche.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 07:23 PM)
Well, people were saying the same things last year at this time, too.  That we were going to surprise everyone and win the division.

I mean, I don't mean to piss on the parade, just sayin'...

Yes, but a main reason we underrated the Twins last year was we never thought Nathan and Rincon would have the years that they did. We know what to expect from them this year, as well as what to expect from Santana. Silva being out for half the year is a huge loss.....he's a real innings eater.

Garland

6 IP, 10 H (LOL!), 3 ER, 0 BB (compensates for the 10 H) (84 pitches)

Marte

1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 ER (27 pitches)

Not the sterling performances of the last 3 and 3/4 games, but certainly getting the job done in the dome vs. the Twinkies.

QUOTE(gettysburg32 @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 01:27 AM)
Garland

6 IP, 10 H (LOL!), 3 ER, 0 BB (compensates for the 10 H) (84 pitches)

Marte

1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 ER (27 pitches)

Not the sterling performances of the last 3 and 3/4 games, but certainly getting the job done in the dome vs. the Twinkies.

Jon's are fifth starter, and he kept us in the game against their number two starter (he started opening day, but in terms of best pitchers, Radke's the number two). I don't think many people, before this game, would think that we'd be in a position to win the game in the ninth (Radke vs. Garland doesn't look great on paper).

A lot of those hits, too, were soft ones. Hell, did Lew Ford hit the ball out of the infield? Oh yeah, that spray hit to right, but there were a lot of soft hits. All things considered, I thought Jon pitched pretty well. I know the 6.00 ERA doesn't look great, but it could have been a lot worse.

Anyone else think Pierz might get his first day off tomorrow? Tough lefty on the mound seems like the perfect time for Widge to get his first shot.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 08:32 PM)
Jon's are fifth starter, and he kept us in the game against their number two starter (he started opening day, but in terms of best pitchers, Radke's the number two).  I don't think many people, before this game, would think that we'd be in a position to win the game in the ninth (Radke vs. Garland doesn't look great on paper).

A lot of those hits, too, were soft ones.  Hell, did Lew Ford hit the ball out of the infield?  Oh yeah, that spray hit to right, but there were a lot of soft hits.  All things considered, I thought Jon pitched pretty well.  I know the 6.00 ERA doesn't look great, but it could have been a lot worse.

Anyone else think Pierz might get his first day off tomorrow?  Tough lefty on the mound seems like the perfect time for Widge to get his first shot.

Anybody else liking Jon as our number 5 over last year's options? :P

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 01:32 AM)
Jon's are fifth starter, and he kept us in the game against their number two starter (he started opening day, but in terms of best pitchers, Radke's the number two).  I don't think many people, before this game, would think that we'd be in a position to win the game in the ninth (Radke vs. Garland doesn't look great on paper).

A lot of those hits, too, were soft ones.  Hell, did Lew Ford hit the ball out of the infield?  Oh yeah, that spray hit to right, but there were a lot of soft hits.  All things considered, I thought Jon pitched pretty well.  I know the 6.00 ERA doesn't look great, but it could have been a lot worse.

Anyone else think Pierz might get his first day off tomorrow?  Tough lefty on the mound seems like the perfect time for Widge to get his first shot.

I concur.

If we get 6 IP, 3 ER from our 5th spot all year, that's definitely ahead of most team's 5th starters.

I agree about Widger tomorrow too.