Sox @ Twinkies: 4/9/05 Game Thread

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why the f*** do I have visions of Radke owning us in my head?'

Bleh it's early in the morning...regardless-Radke is a damn good pitcher.

In the 2nd half of the season .. yes. But his first start in SEA & his 5.14ERA suggests he's pitching like he normally does in the 1st half. I mean it's pretty hard to pitch that poorly at Safeco.

Regardless, the Twins & Radke will be up for tonight's ball game. But whether it's Mar or Jon on the mound I'm confident we'll win it.

BTW, Santana got roughed up at Safeco as well. Maybe they both are 2nd half pitchers? 2004 Pre AS 3.78, Pos AS 1.21 .. 02-04 Pre AS 3.32ERA, 02-04 Pos AS 2.40

I'd say he's a damn good pitcher in the first 1/2 & a Cy Young pitcher in the 2nd.

Still it can only help our cause knowing they both are coming off rough starts in arguably the best pitcher's park in the Majors.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 10:33 AM)
BTW-I wouldn't advise picking Dye as you PTC.

4-22 vs. Radke

so Im picking Dye as my PTC tonight

hes gonna pull a Konerko

Edited by T R U

QUOTE(BridgeportHeather @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 07:07 AM)
Heather's Fearless Prediction:  JON shows up instead of JUDY!

I like your prediction, Ms. Lee, but I am concerned with the news that Garland was feeling ill. I hope he plays today becasue I want to see Buerhle pitch on Sunday ESPN. I can't think of a better match then Mark vrs that Santana dude.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 08:25 PM)
I don't really worry so much about Judy (he was lights ouit there once last year) but more on how our bats do against Radke. Still, beating a team at their home opener is harder to do than most think so we gotta feel good going into tomorrows game. Only downside is that Herm should probably (if Ozzie is gonna be careful) go unused. Let's get the bats going early so that we avoid Nasty Nathan along with Romero and co.

This is the type of game where the new speed is going to have to pay off. Pods and Guchi doing the little things to get into scoring position and then Carl, Paulie, Dye getting the sac fly or whatever it takes to get the run home.

Garland looks to extend pitching trend

White Sox (3-1) at Minnesota (2-2), 6:10 p.m. CT

The challenge has been issued to Jon Garland. Maybe the proclamation hasn't come officially to the White Sox right-hander, but a 2-0 record with a 1.33 ERA during the first four starts from the White Sox rotation have laid it out there for Garland without saying a word.

Mark Buehrle and Orlando 'El Duque' Hernandez were absolutely dominating in their first trips to the mound for 2005, while Freddy Garcia and Jose Contreras both made quality starts in between the two. Now, it's up to Garland to complete the trend once through the rotation, when he takes to the mound Saturday night.

That is, if Garland makes his start on Saturday.

Garland left the Metrodome early on Friday with a bad case of the stomach flu, and there's a chance his start could be bumped back to Sunday night against Johan Santana. If that's the case, then Buehrle would move up to Saturday on his regular four days of rest.

If it were not for a ninth-inning rally by the Cleveland Indians on Thursday afternoon, the White Sox would be looking to extend their season-opening winning streak to five games against Brad Radke. Instead, the White Sox will be battling for victory No. 4 and will try to pick up their eighth win in 12 games over the past two years at the Metrodome.

Aaron Rowand has fared well against Minnesota's ace right-hander, with seven hits in 18 at-bats and two RBIs. Joe Crede, off to a slow start through the first week, has a .333 career average against Radke, with one home run and five RBIs, while Jermaine Dye has driven in four against Radke.

Pitching matchup

CWS: RHP Jon Garland

• 12-11, 4.89 ERA in 2004

• 2-1, 6.00 in 2004 vs. MIN

MIN: RHP Brad Radke

• 0-1, 5.14 ERA in 2005

• 2-1, 4.50 in 2004 vs. CWS

Player to watch

There's no denying that Paul Konerko has struggled during his career against Lohse, who started for Minnesota on Friday night. But that's not the case for the White Sox first baseman against Radke, Minnesota's starter Saturday. Konerko has 12 hits in his career against Radke, three of which have cleared the fences, and he's driven in seven runs. Konerko also is off to a 6-for-14 start in 2005, with two home runs and five RBIs.

Quotable

"I think that gets contagious. All of a sudden, four guys throw good and Garland will be pumped up tomorrow so he's not the guy who doesn't pitch good. Every day I feel like I have a chance to win the game." -- White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen on the outstanding start by his starting rotation

On the Internet

MLB.TV

Gameday Audio

• Gameday

• Official game notes

On television

• CWS: Comcast SportsNet

• MIN: WFTC

On radio

• CWS: ESPN Radio, AM 1000

• MIN: WCCO

Quick hits

Scott Podsednik's two stolen bases Friday give him three for the season. ... Three of Carl Everett's six hits have gone for extra bases. All three are doubles. Everett also has a .471 career average (8-for-17) against Kyle Lohse and a .408 average at the Metrodome. ... Crede has one hit in his first 14 at-bats, but hit the ball hard in two of his at-bats Friday. ... Juan Uribe has started the season in a 1-for-13 funk, but he handled five plays at shortstop flawlessly Friday. ... Hernandez is 56-21 with a 2.91 ERA in his last 104 starts when he lasts six or more innings. ... The White Sox are 7-4 under Ozzie Guillen at the Metrodome but have a 72-86 record there overall.

On deck

• Sunday: at Minnesota, 7:10 p.m. CT

• Monday: at Cleveland, 2:05 p.m. CT

• Tuesday: Off day

• Wednesday: at Cleveland, 6:05 p.m. CT

:bringit :gosox1:

SOX

----------------------

Scott Podsednik, LF

Tadahito Iguchi, 2B

Carl Everett, DH

Paul Konerko, 1B

Timo Perez, RF

Aaron Rowand, CF

A.J. Pierzynski, C

Joe Crede, 3B

Juan Uribe, SS

MINNESOTA

----------------------

Shannon Stewart, LF

Jason Bartlett, SS

Joe Mauer, C

Justin Morneau, 1B

Torii Hunter, CF

Jacque Jones, RF

Lew Ford, DH

Michael Cuddyer, 3B

Luis Rivas, 2B

This was from the Sportsline gameday preview. Garland still looks to be the SP.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 04:21 PM)
Timo??  why?  why does ozzie insist on playing this guy???  especially in place of Dye... or anyone for that matter... i just hate Timo

Dye can't hit Radke. Timo can only hit righties.

Timo's Metrodome splits: .323/.343/.471

My prediction (and you can ditto this for every one of Girland's starts this year) for tonight's game: Cruises through 3 scoreless innings, gets tagged for 4 in the 4th, none in the 5th and 2 more in the 6th, leaves 2 runners on and then gets yanked. Sox lose 8-3.

Hope I'm wrong, but why would I expect anything different?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 04:37 PM)
Timo hitting fifth?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!  :chair

And 3E8, I realize those are some good Metradome splits, but he is not a fifth hitter.  I'm sorry, that's pretty inexcusible...

i completely agree... if i'm rowand i'm pissed. *sigh*

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 04:37 PM)
Timo hitting fifth?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!  :chair

And 3E8, I realize those are some good Metradome splits, but he is not a fifth hitter.  I'm sorry, that's pretty inexcusible...

Ozzie's doing this so everyone stays in their normal spot in the batting order so they dont get jerked around the lineup and moved all over the place.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 10:41 PM)
Ozzie's doing this so everyone stays in their normal spot in the batting order so they dont get jerked around the lineup and moved all over the place.

I'm sorry, Rowand, that's a dumb reason. A guy with a .384 career SLG% has no business hitting fifth, in front of a guy like Rowand -- hell, he should be hitting last, right behind Uribe -- he's an awesome bunter, and Ozzie supposedly like Uribe for his speed, they could've done some hit-and-runs down there.

Ugh... Prove me wrong, Timo.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 04:32 PM)
pauly couldnt hit Lohse remember?  we know how that played out.

We all know Pauly got the last laugh yesterday but Lohse wasn't on. That being said, if Radke is on and Dye is in the lineup, there is a greater chance of Dye failing than winning. Like 3E8 said, rather go with what we have better chances with.