Buehrle 1-0 Crede 0-1

valponick

To be honest this wasn't Crede's fault. He tripped and fell and yes it should of been an error, but he had no idea that Uribe was behind him and your taught as an infielder do all you can to keep the ball in the infield.

The whole thing was tough luck. Crede is an excellent defender, and it was tough luck. He may be struggling at the plate but there is no reason for everyone to be getting so balistic with him. I'm as dissapointed as Joe as the rest, but sometimes people just overly blame a guy because he's struggling.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not about to blame Crede for the loss tonight. But I want to see Pablo Ozuna get a few starts in at 3B to see what he can do.

If he handles the job well, then Crede should be the one moved to make room for Big Frank when he returns. Keep Willie and Timo on the bench and trade Joe for a prospect.

If Ozuna proves he can't handle the job at third, then at least we'll know and we're back with Crede, where we started from.

QUOTE(valponick @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 10:36 PM)
Obviously going to be differing opinions on this, but as a player this is an incorrect play, bottom line, as a fan it might seem correct.  Just fed up with Crede is all, I would be happy to see a change, we could do alot better at 3B.

No it is not an incorrect play ... it's the instinct that's been driven into him from the time he was a little leaguer.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 03:36 AM)
What the f*** are you talking about?  You always always always try and keep the ball in the infield.  It's one of the most basic things in baseball.

Its not so much about keeping the ball in the infield as it is trying to make a play you can't make when another infielder can make that play.

Let's not forget the rest of the team. It takes a team to win a game and a team to lose a game. The guys who want to point a finger at any one player are sounding a lot like Chub fans blaming Bartman for their loss a couple years ago.

Excuses and finger pointing are a Northside traits, lets try to keep it off of this forum.

If the rest of the team would have stepped up offensively, not struck out so much and scored some runs it would have been a different ball game. Point is we just didn't do it today. Crede isn't all to blame nor is Burhle. They share it with the rest of the club.

QUOTE(valponick @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 07:34 PM)
You've obviously never played competitive baseball, because that is completely wrong.

No its not. A pitcher its a little differnet, but with a 3rd baseman or 1st baseman or middle infielder its the exact 180 of how it is for a pitcher. Your job is do all you can to keep it in the infield. Crede has no idea that Uribe is behind him and even if Uribe gets that you never know. I think there is a good shot he throws Lecroy out (simply because its Lecroy) but thats not a given.

Hell Uribe is sliding just to get there. Crede did exactly what a 3rd baseman is taught to do. I've played baseball a long time and thats how I was always coached. I also pitched and the only time I would let the ball go through and not make an attempt at it, was when it was a bunt and I saw the 3rd baseman coming in. Otherwise if its up the middle and you got a shot, you at the very least try. If your falling off the mound and its more to where your SS or 2B are, then you let it go if its hard hit.

I really thought we should of went and got Joe Randa too..... but Crede wasnt as bad as that play made him look to be... Uribe should of yelled out he was behind Joe or Joe has no way of knowing... Also Buehrle really didnt look 2 good anyways so i think it was bound to happen, If your going to blame anyone blame the home umpire who gave Santana an extra 6 inches.

That ump gave the two relievers even more room. I saw 3 k's in the last inning and a half...all looking on pitches way off the plate. It was total horses***. Then at the same time I saw Mark getting the squeeze.

Regardless, the Sox had a shot at this game, a game against the Cy Young Award winner. Really no complaints out of me. I think they could of won, but its not a bad loss at all.

What gets me is that we are 4-2, we've won the first two series of the year and people are still finding things to b**** about.

That's what is so remarkable about all of this to me.

As long as we win the series as we go along, I am fine with this team.

Why wasn't there a Contreras 1-0, Takatsu 0-1 thread after the Thursday game?

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 09:44 PM)
What gets me is that we are 4-2, we've won the first two series of the year and people are still finding things to b**** about.

We're Sox fans man. It comes with the territory.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 09:44 PM)

That's what is so remarkable about all of this to me.

As long as we win the series as we go along, I am fine with this team.

Why wasn't there a Contreras 1-0, Takatsu 0-1 thread after the Thursday game?

I almost want to make a "Sole Possesion of First place thread" just to cancel out some of this negativity :lol:

QUOTE(SouthSideScraper @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 03:39 AM)
Let's not forget the rest of the team.  It takes a team to win a game and a team to lose a game.  The guys who want to point a finger at any one player are sounding a lot like Chub fans blaming Bartman for their loss a couple years ago.

Excuses and finger pointing are a Northside traits, lets try to keep it off of this forum.

If the rest of the team would have stepped up offensively, not struck out so much and scored some runs it would have been a different ball game.  Point is we just didn't do it today.  Crede isn't all to blame nor is Burhle.  They share it with the rest of the club.

I understand where you're coming from but it's not like I'm pointing the finger after 1 game, its been several years with this guy, I'm just fed up. We need to quit talking about his potential and quit trying to convince ourselves that this is his year and just move on. I'm sick of it, it is a waste of our time, as a team...as a franchise.

G'night all, time for bed, work in the morning.

QUOTE(valponick @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 07:47 PM)
I understand where you're coming from but it's not like I'm pointing the finger after 1 game, its been several years with this guy, I'm just fed up.  We need to quit talking about his potential and quit trying to convince ourselves that this is his year and just move on.  I'm sick of it, it is a waste of our time, as a team...as a franchise. 

G'night all, time for bed, work in the morning.

All I'm saying is Crede slips on a play and people are ready to crucify him. Crucify him all you want for his offense, but by seasons end he will be as usual, one of the best defensive 3rd basemans in the league and will save a lot more runs than he gives up on errors.

Its been 6 games and people are ready to put a cast on him. Hell, where is all the talk about Uribe. The guy is in a funk himself and his throws are going all over the place.

Fact of the matters is, 6 games don't make a season. Sox have won the 1st two series against divisional foes, have pitched good, have shown some small ball and have also hit the long ball. They got a lot of growing and maturing to do and with all these new players you still have more of a feeling out process, but its going to be alright. Crede is going to be alright and even if he isn't, no one is going to know that 6 games into the year.

Guarantee no one on the plane to Cleveland is going to pointing fingers at Joe or Mark. Not ONE single player.

Instinct tells you to get the ball at any means possible. As an infielder your job is to not let that ball get past you, no matter what the situation is. What was Joe trying to do? Stop the ball.

Edited by El Piervizdyeguchansodnik

QUOTE(El Piervizdyeguchansodnik @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 10:54 PM)
Guarantee no one on the plane to Cleveland is going to pointing fingers at Joe or Mark. Not ONE single player.

Instinct tells you to get the ball at any means possible. As an infielder your job is to not let that ball get past you, no matter what the situation is. What was Joe trying to do? Stop the ball.

Obviously, you've never played competetive baseball. :headshake

Idonno Joe actually looked good at the plate against the twins this series... that 1st game he was hitting the ball hard just right at people... 2nd game he got a hit.. and while he K'd twice today he did hit that tough double against Santana today too....today Konerko looked really bad... but he been awesome for the season.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 10:23 PM)
Idonno Joe actually looked good at the plate against the twins this series... that 1st game he was hitting the ball hard just right at people... 2nd game he got a hit.. and while he K'd twice today he did hit that tough double against Santana today too....today Konerko looked really bad... but he been awesome for the season.

Joe looked very good at the plate this series before today and he did have that nice piece of woodwork late in the game. Pauly was just pulling off of Santana's changeup, like you said he was hitting real well before tonight and I hope this doesn't throw him into a slump now because he looked real out of sorts at the plate tonight.

Obviously this has been discussed, but yes, except for the double, he had a horrible game. I know he was trying to make a play on that ball to third, but you don't dive for it with your bare hand, you're not Ozzie Smith here. Stop it. The 3 strike outs or however many he had didn't help matters either.

http://ss***men.blogspot.com/2005/04/predictapalooza.html

Some general Sox Predictions/Observations...

...Joe Crede -- Becomes Public Enemy #1. Think Billy Koch. Every team needs a whipping boy. If Joe doesn't improve soon, he's going to be hearing it from both barrels; the media and the fans.

He didn't give up the three run jack, but he's still getting the blame... Can't say I didn't see this one coming.

QUOTE(SouthSideScraper @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 03:39 AM)
Let's not forget the rest of the team.

Thank you.

Two losses, and each time someone is fingered as the One Traitor Who Lost The Game Entirely On His Own. Shingo, Joe, go to your potter's field now. For every obvious mistake, there are a dozen less noticeable ones -- a hanging curve, a missed hanging curve, careless positioning.

This is the worst kind of reaction, and I hope it's not becoming a trend -- there's nothing more pathetic than Red Sox fans who blamed Bill Buckner for years, or the Cubs fans (and players...) after the 2003 NLCS. Obviously this is not of that magnitude (yet...), but it's the same mindset: 'That one guy, it's all on him.' Please.

this is without question the dumbest thread since the start of the season.

blaming Crede for trying to stop a groundball from going into the outfield? wow, this is just dumb.

if you were to think Crede sucks, I'd rather you just post "Crede sucks" than something like this, which is nitpicking "I'm trying to find a way to blame it on a guy who I don't like despite him doing nothing wrong" bulls***.

Buehrle wasn't at his best and Santana was simply awesome. that's all that needs to be said.

I much rather have my 3rd Baseman diving and hustling for plays than one who never gets dirty. I am glad cooler heads are finally here becuase to blame one player for a loss is stupid. Hindsight is always 20/20 Mistakes happen all the time in games that 3-1 pitch to hunter down the pipe wasn't smart either and i can bet Mark is more upset with him self over that pitch than with Crede