Todd Walker

IlliniKrush

Yes they have Hairston, but this would still be a big blow.

Fingers crossed on Walker

Cubs fear ligaments in his left knee torn in 2nd-base collision

By Dave van Dyck

Special to the Tribune

April 10, 2005, 10:29 PM CDT

The Cubs are making plans for life without sparkplug second baseman Todd Walker, but they don't know how far ahead to plan.

Walker was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital for an MRI on his left knee, and the fear is that he might have torn ligaments, which would put him out for the rest of the season.

"We'll know a lot more about the severity [Monday]," said trainer Mark O'Neal, who classified the injury as a sprain.

Even a mild sprain of the ligaments probably would send Walker to the 15-day disabled list.

Walker was injured in the 10th inning of Sunday's 6-5, 12-inning victory over Milwaukee when former White Sox Carlos Lee broke up a double play at second base. This is the same Lee who was criticized by Sox manager Ozzie Guillen for failing to slide hard against the Twins last season.

Walker held his ground as Lee slid in, trying for a double play that would have ended the inning. He limped around but stayed in the game for the inning's final out, but when he tried to exit the field, he couldn't walk. He had to be helped into the dugout.

"Initially, he said he felt completely normal," O'Neal said. "As he sat there a few more minutes, he needed help off the field."

"When I first asked him if he was all right, he said yeah," shortstop Nomar Garciaparra said. "When I saw him limping off, I knew he was struggling."

Walker is batting .381. His loss would be a big blow, although the off-season trade of Sammy Sosa to Baltimore yielded second baseman Jerry Hairston.

"I know exactly how he feels," Hairston said. "In 2003, I thought I was going to the All-Star Game and broke my foot. … Hopefully, it will be something minor and he'll be back soon."

"My heart is with him," outfielder Todd Hollandworth said. "He's a huge part of this team."

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 08:26 AM)
this will be an upgrade for them really.... Hairston is an upgrade defensively and he can bat leadoff too making Patteron the #2 hitter.

This may actually make the Cubs a better team. I'm sure they could use Walker's lefthanded bat, but he plays 2B like he has a plywood glove.

Update from chicagosports.com:

Cub second baseman Todd Walker is out 4-6 weeks with a severe sprain to the medial collateral ligament in his left knee.

Walker was injured in a collision with Carlos Lee at second base during the 10th inning of the Cubs 6-5 victory Sunday. Walker held his ground as Lee slid in, breaking up a double play that would have ended the inning. He limped around but stayed in the game for the inning's final out. When he tried to exit the field, he couldn't walk and had to be helped into the dugout.

Walker is batting .381 this season with three RBIs.

The team called up infielder Mike Fontenot from Iowa to take Walker's spot on the roster. Fontenot, like Walker a left-handed hitter, is hitting .400 in 10 at-bats for Iowa; his four hits have been a single, a double, a triple and a homer. He came to the Cubs from Baltimore as part of the Sammy Sosa trade

whiny ass cubs fans are calling into every radio show talking about how it was a dirty play. One guy even said that in his SOFTBALL league, they get kicked out for trying to slide into people. Are you kidding me? Even walker said it was a good play. Plus he is notorious not being able to turn a quick DP.

Busty Baker has to be the dumbest manager in the entire MLB...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-cubs-headlines

The Cubs announced Todd Walker will be out four to six weeks with a severe ligament sprain in his left knee, and that Mark Prior will make his 2005 debut Tuesday against the Padres.

Though the Cubs have a capable defensive replacement for Walker in Neifi Perez, who will receive the bulk of the playing time at second, the injury was a blow that could damage the team's offense, at least for the short term.

He is going to start Neifi Perez at 2nd base over Jerry Hairston? :lolhitting Before the Flubs game yesterday, The Score reported that Hairston said that he can't wait until he is a free agent because he isn't getting any starts. He must be in Busty's doghouse now.

Edited by Jabroni