Game thread 4-19 Sox .vs. Twinkees

The bullpen is a little taxed for tonite. Politte is available, Cotts should be able to go, Marte is fresh. Vizcaino probably needs a day off.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonight's game is a big one. If we can 4 out of 5 from the tWins, those games will go a long way in September. They won't mean much when we start playing them head to head again in August, but they do count quite a bit in the standings. Let's go "get 'er done".

QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 09:08 AM)
The bullpen is a little taxed for tonite.  Politte is available, Cotts should be able to go, Marte is fresh.  Vizcaino probably needs a day off.

Duque has to go at least 6 complete IMHO.

Great stuff for the rivalry:

Gardenhire on AJ: ''He's a talker, a really funny guy. 'When Shannon Stewart fouled one off his knee, A.J. kept saying, 'Wear it, kid! Wear it!. That was my guy who was hurt, but I couldn't help but laugh. It was our turn to laugh at A.J. when a foul tip knocked his mask off. We were yelling, 'Wear it, A.J.! Wear it!' '

AJ's slumped to 214A (566 OPS) but stats aren't everything. He blocked some important pitches in the dirt last night that might have given the Twins the edge. We all know what he's going to give us bat wise over the season, so anything he gives us defense wise is a bonus.

For those who don't think Pods presence on the base pads can disrupt a pitcher,

Contreras: "The play with the balk got me out of focus. I was a little lost after that."

The little things that happen in a game can make a BIG difference. I felt the balk was a bad call. He may have slipped off the rubber but he still continued his delivery. It was a nit-picky call that gave the Twinkees a run. A team that doesn't need charity runs.

What shouldn't be overlooked last night is the Sox new middle IF (Guch + Uribe) & how it helped to bail out a struggling Contreras.

Contreras: ''I couldn't dominate my zone, and my splitter was not working at all today. The slider wasn't hitting the spots, and I couldn't find my fastball. I couldn't find the zone.''

Yet if the balk is not called he was still in line for a quality start. It's a very good sign for the months to come when Contreras basically battles through a start in which he has nothing. In the past that would be chalked up as a poor start but because of new defense he was able to labor through it. That defense is built upon Crede-Uribe-Guch-Koney. Now maybe Koney can be replaced by Gload to save some bucks in the years to come. But Crede is proving more important. Last night he made a good play to save runs that was near 3B. That increased his ZR. He's usually weak along the bag but possibly the strongest 3B in the league for anything hit in front of the bag.

But please don't tell Boras any of this.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 07:55 AM)
Excellent catch-phrase. 

War the White Sox sweep.

War the Blue Collar Comedy Crew.

I'm out.

God, I hate Jim Rome (Tiny Tim). How dumb are his catchphrases...

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 12:03 AM)
Your chances have increased just by the mere fact that we have not had a sweep in 4 straight series.  Sooner or later, it will HAVE to happen.

I can guarantee you that we will sweep this series if we win today...

Garland goes tomorrow and theres no way he loses, hes the man to end the streak

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 11:23 AM)
I can guarantee you that we will sweep this series if we win today...

Garland goes tomorrow and theres no way he loses, hes the man to end the streak

with a comment like this you've just made all your posts suspect...

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 04:09 PM)
What shouldn't be overlooked last night is the Sox new middle IF (Guch + Uribe) & how it helped to bail out a struggling Contreras.

Contreras: ''I couldn't dominate my zone, and my splitter was not working at all today. The slider wasn't hitting the spots, and I couldn't find my fastball. I couldn't find the zone.''

Dont forget Crede.... I think he was involved in a couple of those double plays.