Game Thread 4-21 Sox .vs. Detoilet

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 01:43 AM)
With good reason. Ozzie shouldn't do that.

So we should bat timo fifth? Just to get his defense out there ( lol). Because ozzie is too stupid to change the order around at all.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 01:46 AM)
So we should bat timo fifth? Just to get his defense out there ( lol). Because ozzie is too stupid to change the order around at all.

To answer both your and Jabroni's qyestions .... No. Leave Dye in. He's rested and coming off a good game. Let him hit while he's feeling good about things. Time to get him off the schnide.

The reason Ozzie batted Timo fifth was to break up the lefties and righties. Also, I would guess because Timo is good with RISP (even though I'm sure you don't want to hear that).

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 01:49 AM)
The reason Ozzie batted Timo fifth was to break up the lefties and righties.  Also, I would guess because Timo is good with RISP (even though I'm sure you don't want to hear that).

In addition, I don't think "Ozzie is too stupid to change the lineup" as qwerty so delicately put it. I think Ozzie is trying to keep some stability and consistency in the lineup while getting his bench some playing and keeping his starters rested.

I think about more than just the current game when I'm evaluating Ozzie's decisions. That's beyond some people.

To answer both your and Jabroni's qyestions .... No.  Leave Dye in.  He's rested and coming off a good game.  Let him hit while he's feeling good about things.  Time to get him off the schnide.

Well, the whole point of this is that Dye struggles against righties and Bonderman is a really tough right-hander. Bonderman struggles with lefties. In any case, I hope Dye has another huge game if he's the guy in RF today.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 01:51 AM)
Well, the whole point of this is that Dye struggles against righties and Bonderman is a really tough right-hander.  Bonderman struggles with lefties.  In any case, I hope Dye has another huge game if he's the guy in RF today.

I realize what your point was, and yes, it's a valid one. I just don't think it's smart to sit him after him having a good game and him just being sat out on Tuesday.

I realize what your point was, and yes, it's a valid one.  I just don't think it's smart to sit him after him having a good game and him just being sat out on Tuesday.

Good point. Dye had a huge game last night so we should see if he can keep it up instead of benching him.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 01:54 AM)
Good point.  Dye had a huge game last night so we should see if he can keep it up instead of benching him.

He's 2 for 10 against Bonderman, small sample but he's not dominated. After his day off earlier in the week, I see no reason not to play him.

How about playing Dye in RF, Perez in LF, and Podsednick in CF. Give Rowand the day off. How bout this:

Podsednick CF (L)

Harris 2B (L)

Everett DH (L)

Konerko 1B ®

Dye RF ®

Perez LF (L)

Pierzynski C (L)

Crede 3B ®

Uribe SS ®

Thats 5 lefties, it can give Bonderman fits!

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 07:47 AM)
How about playing Dye in RF, Perez in LF, and Podsednick in CF. Give Rowand the day off. How bout this:

Podsednick CF (L)

Harris 2B (L)

Everett DH (L)

Konerko 1B ®

Dye RF ®

Perez LF (L)

Pierzynski C (L)

Crede 3B ®

Uribe SS ®

Rowand's been scuffling. Bonderman's a tough righty. Not a bad idea.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 07:47 AM)

Podsednick CF (L)

Harris 2B (L)

Everett DH (L)

Konerko 1B ®

Dye RF ®

Perez LF (L)

Pierzynski C (L)

Crede 3B ®

Uribe SS ®

I like that idea...has Rowand rest yet this season?

Game 2 Notes:

Buehrle tries to keep momentum

The challenge for Mark Buehrle no longer is to go out and throw an efficient game. Now, Buehrle basically is working against himself, trying to turn in a victory Thursday afternoon at a quicker pace than the one hour, 39 minutes he worked the last time out.

Buehrle is coming off a 2-1 victory over Seattle, in which the left-hander struck out a career-high 12 during the lightning-quick complete-game effort. If it was not for Ichiro Suzuki and his three hits, Buehrle might have reached baseball immortality.

Mark Buehrle is the perfect person to be pitching today, as far as his teammates are concerned. The Sox will fly to Kansas City after the game, and players appreciate a fast worker on a long travel day.

''Some guys, they ask when I'm pitching,'' Buehrle said. ''If I say I'm pitching on [get-away day], they'll say, 'Yes!' I guess guys want me to pitch on get-away day just so we can get to where we're going earlier.''

Buehrle, whose last start finished in 1 hour, 39 minutes, was the quickest in the American League last season, with his starts averaging 2:33. He had 11 starts under 2:20.

''I don't like when guys sit there and walk around the mound and pick up the rosin [bag],'' Buehrle said. ''I know the defense likes it when I throw fast. There's no reason to be out there screwing around when you can just get the ball and throw it.''

If the White Sox can top Jeremy Bonderman and the Tigers, they will have finished off their second straight two-game sweep against an American League Central rival. The South Siders have won no less than two games in each of their first five series this season and are looking for their fourth straight and sixth win in seven games.

Scott Podsednik appears to be closer to 100 percent after suffering soreness in his right groin that kept him out of action for five games. The fleet-footed left-handed hitter had three hits, two runs scored and two stolen bases during Wednesday's 9-1 victory over Detroit.

Pitching matchup

CWS: LHP Mark Buehrle

• 2-1, 2.25 ERA in 2005

• 0-1, 3.00 in 2004 vs. DET

DET: RHP Jeremy Bonderman

• 2-1, 3.86 ERA in 2005

• 1-3, 5.40 in 2004 vs. CWS

Player to watch: Aaron Rowand gradually has worked his way out of a slow start, with 10 hits in his last 28 at-bats. Bonderman just might be a good way for him to get even healthier, as Rowand has four hits in 10 at-bats against the Detroit right-hander. He also has one home run and five RBIs in their head-to-head matchups.

Quotable: "So far, we have been winning with pitching. They have been keeping us in the ball game. Our offense hasn't clicked. But once we all get going, we have the team to put up six or seven runs per night and take some of the pressure off the pitchers." -- White Sox right fielder Jermaine Dye on the offense's slow start, despite the team's success

On television

• CWS: WGN-TV

• DET: None

On radio

• CWS: ESPN Radio, AM 1000

• DET: WXYT 1270 AM

Quick hits: Joe Crede's 11-game hitting streak matches his previous career high, set from Aug. 8 to 21 in 2003 ... Scott Podsednik picked up his first three-hit game of the season Wednesday, finishing with two runs scored and two stolen bases ... Neal Cotts has pitched 4 2/3 innings over five games ... After singling to right in his first at-bat Wednesday, Aaron Rowand struck out during the next three trips to the plate ... The White Sox have a 5-2 road record, a 7-2 record at night and are 1-0 on this current eight-game road trip. They are 9-3 against the American League Central. With a day game today, Guillen gave catcher A.J. Pierzynski a rest Wednesday and started Chris Widger behind the plate. Willie Harris likely will play second base today to get Tadahito Iguchi a day off.

On deck:

• Friday: at Kansas City, 7:10 p.m. CT

• Saturday: White Sox at Kansas City, 6:10 p.m. CT

• Sunday: White Sox at Kansas City, 1:10 p.m. CT

Sweep those kittens away!! :gosox2: :gosox3: :gosox4: :gosox1: :gosoxretro:

Aaron Rowand gradually has worked his way out of a slow start, with 10 hits in his last 28 at-bats. Bonderman just might be a good way for him to get even healthier, as Rowand has four hits in 10 at-bats against the Detroit right-hander. He also has one home run and five RBIs in their head-to-head matchups.

Forget what I said about that being a good idea.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 08:31 AM)
According to the Trib notes, Harris is going to start in place of Iguchi today.

Good time to get Willie some ab's, give Gooch a day off against a right hander with a nasty slider.

Today's Lineups:

Pods LF

Willie 2B

Everett DH

Konerko 1B

Dye RF

Rowand CF

AJ C

Crede 3B

Uribe SS

Tigers:

Inge 3B