Sox @ A'ss Game Thread (4/26 @ 9:05 p.m. CT)

Jabroni

Buehrle vs. Harden

279824.jpg @ 425848.jpg

Buehrle vs. A's (2004 stats)          Harden vs. Sox (2004 stats)
2 starts                              2 starts
0-1 record                            2-0 record
12.0 IP                               15.0 IP
3.75 ERA                              1.80 ERA
1.50 WHIP                             0.60 WHIP
.286 BAA                              .160 BAA
14 H                                  8 H
5 R                                   3 R
5 ER                                  3 ER
2 HR                                  1 HR
4 BB                                  1 BB
9 K                                   8 K

Keep the winning streak alive! GO SOX!!! :gosox2:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Apr 26, 2005 -> 12:42 AM)
Harden has definitely looked amazing so far this year.  I will have to say that he is our biggest challege of a pitcher to face so far.  Hopefully we can get to him early and Pods can harass him on the basepaths enough to eek out a victory.

That's what you have to do with a tough pitcher like that. You have to distract him and mess with his head as much as possible.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Apr 26, 2005 -> 06:42 AM)
Harden has definitely looked amazing so far this year.  I will have to say that he is our biggest challege of a pitcher to face so far.  Hopefully we can get to him early and Pods can harass him on the basepaths enough to eek out a victory.

Harden has been pitching lights out, but he has nothing on Johan Santana.

But yeah, I can't think of anyone else. This game's gonna be awesome.

Ozzie needs to sit PK and Dye for this one.  Ozuna and Gload need to be in the lineup.  I wouldn't mind seeing Harris in for Iguchi, either.

I think we need as many lefties in the lineup as possible against Harden...

LF Podsednik

2B Willie

DH Everett

1B Konerko

RF Gload

CF Rowand

C Pierzynski

3B Crede

SS Uribe

However, the thought of Gload playing RF makes me want to crap my pants. We could see Timo in RF tomorrow night.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 26, 2005 -> 02:36 AM)
I think we need as many lefties in the lineup as possible against Harden...

LF Podsednik

2B Willie

DH Everett

1B Konerko

RF Gload

CF Rowand

C Pierzynski

3B Crede

SS Uribe

However, the thought of Gload playing RF makes me want to crap my pants.  We could see Timo in RF tomorrow night.

That's why I said Ozzie should rest PK. Let Gload play 1B.

How about this?

LF Podsednik

2B Willie

DH Everett

CF Rowand

C Pierzynski

3B Crede

1B Gload

RF Timo

SS Uribe

The only problem I have with that lineup is Crede batting sixth. I know this may sound like BS but why move Crede up in the lineup and put more pressure on him to produce? He is having great success batting in the lower third of the order. In other words, why mess with a good thing?

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 26, 2005 -> 02:56 AM)
The only problem I have with that lineup is Crede batting sixth.  I know this may sound like BS but why move Crede up in the lineup and put more pressure on him to produce?  He is having great success batting in the lower third of the order.  In other words, why mess with a good thing?

I have a feeling batting one spot higher won't kill him.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 26, 2005 -> 02:56 AM)
The only problem I have with that lineup is Crede batting sixth.  I know this may sound like BS but why move Crede up in the lineup and put more pressure on him to produce?  He is having great success batting in the lower third of the order.  In other words, why mess with a good thing?

I see your point, but he's one of the guys who seems to be putting the ball in play regularly. I'm thinking this setup for just one game against a HOT Harden.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 26, 2005 -> 03:02 AM)
I was talking about his projected lineup.

Yasny's post has him sixth and that is who jabroni quoted. I was just pointing out it would be two spots rather than one.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Apr 26, 2005 -> 03:05 AM)
Yasny's post has him sixth and that is who jabroni quoted. I was just pointing out it would be two spots rather than one.

jabroni had him batting 7th and yasny had him batting 6th. I was just pointing out it would be one spot.

Edited by SleepyWhiteSox

I see your point, but he's one of the guys who seems to be putting the ball in play regularly.  I'm thinking this setup for just one game against a HOT Harden.

Understood. In any case, we both agree that Ozzie needs to play as many lefties against Harden as possible. Buehrle has a good chance of shutting down the A's primarily lefty lineup but we will need to find ways to score on Harden.

May even see Ozuna in at 3B tbh because Crede wasn't loooking too good on the bases before he came out. The you have:

Pods LF

Willie 2B

Everett DH

Rowand CF

AJ C

Timo RF

Uribe SS

Ozuna 3B

Gload 1B

Well, those people at least, maybe not those positions in the Batting Order.

Notes for Game 2 against the Lettermen:

Buehrle, White Sox take aim at win No. 9

Chicago (16-4) at Oakland (9-11), 9:05 p.m. CT

Think about how different this amazing White Sox start could have been if Mark Buehrle's foot injury was as serious as originally feared when it first happened on March 20. More than one month later, Buehrle barely even gives that frightful moment a second thought as he prepares to take the mound Tuesday night.

"I actually haven't thought about it," said Buehrle of what was eventually diagnosed as a stress reaction to a previous injury in his left foot, suffered while he was shagging fly balls during practice in Tucson, Ariz. "It's one of those things where when I'm walking around or shagging, I'm not thinking, 'I better not do this or that because my foot will hurt.'

"It's just like every day before it ever happened," Buehrle added.

For the second time this season, Buehrle will be part of an aces-high showdown. His only loss in 2005 came during a Sunday night contest in the Metrodome, when Minnesota's Johan Santana bested him. On Tuesday, it's Rich Harden, Oakland's hard-throwing right-hander, challenging Buehrle.

Buehrle, the Sox' average-guy staff ace who pitches like he's late for his real job, is 3-1 in four starts with a 2.61 ERA and only six walks in 31 innings with 23 strikeouts. He has given up only two home runs, and neither was at home, a park that is supposed to be a long-ball haven.

He will face the A's tonight in a park where he is 0-4 in his career with a 3.92 ERA. He is 2-6 overall against the A's with a 3.66 ERA. Buehrle will oppose Rich Harden, the poster boy for the next generation of great A's starting pitchers.

According to White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen, there was nobody more impressive than Harden against the White Sox during Spring Training.

The White Sox will be looking for their ninth straight victory. They also will try to improve to 7-0 on this three-city, eight-game road trip.

Pitching matchup

CWS: LHP Mark Buehrle

• 3-1, 2.61 ERA in 2005

• 0-1, 3.75 in 2004 vs. OAK

OAK: RHP Rich Harden

• 2-0, 0.44 ERA in 2005

• 2-0, 1.80 ERA vs. CWS in 2004

Player to watch

Carl Everett broke out of an 0-for-14 funk Monday with a two-run double in the seventh inning. He has a chance to build on that success Tuesday, with two hits in five previous career at-bats against Harden. Everett, who has a team-high 19 RBIs, also hit a long home run against Harden during Spring Training.

Quotable

"Sometimes you can't explain why it happens. When things are going well and teams are playing well, unexpected people sometime step up and get the hit that day." -- Chris Widger, on delivering the game-winning home run during Monday's 6-0 victory.

On the Internet

MLB.TV

Gameday Audio

Gameday

On television

• CWS: WCIU-TV

• OAK: KICU, Ch. 36

On radio

• CWS: ESPN Radio, AM 1000

• OAK: KFRC 610 AM

Quick hits

The White Sox have led in all 20 games this season, the longest streak in club history and the longest in the Majors since San Diego led at some point in its first 22 games in 1998 ... The White Sox snapped a four-game homerless streak in the seventh, with Widger's blast ... Jon Garland tied his career-high with the four-game winning streak, previously set from April 15 to May 1, 2002 ... Joe Crede has hit safely in 15 of his last 16 games. He is batting .389 with eight RBIs during that span ... The White Sox have a 10-2 road record, a 10-2 record at night and are 6-0 on this current eight-game road trip. They are 3-1 against the American League West.

On deck

• Wednesday: White Sox at Oakland, 2:35 p.m. (Garcia v. Saarloos)

• Thursday: Off day

• Friday: Detroit at White Sox, 7:05 p.m. (Ledezma v. Contreras or McCarthy)

Let's go for 9!!! :gosox1: :gosox1: :gosox1: :gosox1: :gosox1:

Edited by robinventura23

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 26, 2005 -> 01:39 AM)
That's why I said Ozzie should rest PK.  Let Gload play 1B.

PK is a good fastball hitter, I'd like to see him in the lineup. Harden has been lights out, but I don't want to treat him like Cy Young just yet. We have enough lefties IMHO.

QUOTE(shakes @ Apr 26, 2005 -> 10:21 AM)
PK is a good fastball hitter, I'd like to see him in the lineup. Harden has been lights out, but I don't want to treat him like Cy Young just yet. We have enough lefties IMHO.

Actually .. my thinking was more along the lines of contact hitters as opposed to lefties. I believe we'll have to scratch for our runs tonight.