AND THATS A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

NUKE_CLEVELAND

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark & Koney were both quoted as saying the team needed to face some adversity & whether it before they could decide whether they were good or bad. Well a 3 gm losing streak with 2 bad calls, & a mash unit of players certainly qualifies for adversity. How did they weather it? Rode a 116 pitch effort by El Duque to a win on Sat & a CG, 4H, SO by Jon Garland to a win today. I'd say they are pretty damn good!

That's an impressive list. It's going to change of course as it's heavily influenced by wins & losses. I expect Colon to be in it after May.

Florida is unbelievable! Willis, Beckett, & Burnett are all Cy candidates. That's what Flub fans have always dreamed of. Too bad it looks like just Prior this yr.

I'm not surprised that El Duque is there. It's more a question of whether he can last the marathon than be amongst the leaders early. As for Jon, I was hoping on 15W. I thought he could do it as a #5 following El Duque. Now I'm hoping for Cy Jon.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ May 1, 2005 -> 04:13 PM)
That's an impressive list.  It's going to change of course as it's heavily influenced by wins & losses.  I expect Colon to be in it after May.

Florida is unbelievable!  Willis, Beckett, & Burnett are all Cy candidates. That's what Flub fans have always dreamed of.  Too bad it looks like just Prior this yr.

I'm not surprised that El Duque is there.  It's more a question of whether he can last the marathon than be amongst the leaders early.  As for Jon, I was hoping on 15W.  I thought he could do it as a #5 following El Duque.  Now I'm hoping for Cy Jon.

Prior got hammered today. 8 ER in 5 innings.

Guest JimH
Mark & Koney were both quoted as saying the team needed to face some adversity & whether it before they could decide whether they were good or bad.  Well a 3 gm losing streak with 2 bad calls, & a mash unit of players certainly qualifies for adversity.  How did they weather it?  Rode a 116 pitch effort by El Duque to a win on Sat & a CG, 4H, SO by Jon Garland to a win today.  I'd say they are pretty damn good!

This is a good post and something that should be talked about.

They faced adversity, including the disaster which was Friday nite. Of course, in addition to the last two games in Oakland which could've gone either way.

There is not a team in baseball who won't face adversity. It was mentioned the last loss in Oakland might galvanize the team and bring them together. The win today was a good example of a confident team willing to sacrifice their own stats for a win.

2 out of 3, a sweep would've been nice, but not bad.

This team has a good thing going. The big difference from past years is, the "good thing" is being led by the pitching staff.

Feel good, Sox fans. Don't be overconfident, Minnesota has a very good team. Cleveland will make some noise and Detroit will hang around, they are better than in past years.

I am also convinced the White Sox are a better team than in years past too. Emphasis on team.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 1, 2005 -> 04:21 PM)
This is a good post and something that should be talked about.

They faced adversity, including the disaster which was Friday nite.  Of course, in addition to the last two games in Oakland which could've gone either way.

There is not a team in baseball who won't face adversity.  It was mentioned the last loss in Oakland might galvanize the team and bring them together.  The win today was a good example of a confident team willing to sacrifice their own stats for a win. 

2 out of 3, a sweep would've been nice, but not bad.

This team has a good thing going.  The big difference from past years is, the "good thing" is being led by the pitching staff. 

Feel good, Sox fans.  Don't be overconfident, Minnesota has a very good team.  Cleveland will make some noise and Detroit will hang around, they are better than in past years.

I am also convinced the White Sox are a better team than in years past too.  Emphasis on team.

Jim, I respectfully disagree with you here. I think the Sox and Twins are going to just run away from the rest of the division, I just think both teams are far better then Detroit and Cleveland. It's going to be a dog fight to the end between the Sox and Minny, there is also a decent chance that the Sox or Twins could win the wildcard, they might be the two best teams in the American League this year. :o :ph34r: I know I'm going to take some criticism for that comment but I honestly think that might be the case this year.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 1, 2005 -> 06:24 PM)
Jim, I respectfully disagree with you here.  I think the Sox and Twins are going to just run away from the rest of the division, I just think both teams are far better then Detroit and Cleveland.  It's going to be a dog fight to the end between the Sox and Minny, there is also a decent chance that the Sox or Twins could win the wildcard, they might be the two best teams in the American League this year.  :o  :ph34r:  I know I'm going to take some criticism for that comment but I honestly think that might be the case this year.

Westbrook = 0-5, Nuff said.

Guest JimH

Row I hope you're right.

I hope it comes down to Sox and Twins. And I do not disagree. I guess my comments were more along the lines of the Indians and Tigers having an impact on the Central race. With so many games played against each other, it tends to even out. Very rarely does one Central team go like 15-4 against another.

But yeah, your post basically tracks with my gut feeling ... Sox and Twins are the best teams in this division ... the key is pitching and speed.

I underestimated the value of speed although I've always been a fan of having as much as possible. A guy like Podsednik, he has speed and he's smart, plus he's fundamentally sound. Iguchi doesn't have as much speed as I thought but he's smart, he makes good adjustments.

If you have the ability to adjust, and you have speed and good pitching, your team will generally stay out of extended slumps.

Just got back from the game.

Jon was awesome. Stellar performance.

Lopez looked decent defensively, nice that he got a hit, but I'm not expecting much from him offensively.

Konerko's foul ball was a bomb. If he straightens that out a wee bit, it would have been in the last row of the bleachers. He really got ahold of that one.

Timo still sucks, but he had a nice bunt. Homered, too, which was nice.

Keep it goin', Sox! :headbang

Guest JimH
Just got back from the game.

Jon was awesome.  Stellar performance.

Lopez looked decent defensively, nice that he got a hit, but I'm not expecting much from him offensively.

Konerko's foul ball was a bomb.  If he straightens that out a wee bit, it would have been in the last row of the bleachers.  He really got ahold of that one.

Timo still sucks, but he had a nice bunt.  Homered, too, which was nice.

Keep it goin', Sox!  :headbang

When did the parking lots open, just curious.

Guest JimH
I'm not sure, actually.  I was there at 12:20ish and they were open, so...

I'll test it out the next time I go and report back to the class. I'm told they open 2 1/2 to 3 hours before game time. Last year I went to a 6:05 pm game for example, and the lot off of 37th St. was open when we got there at 3:55.