New Here

White Sox Josh

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ May 6, 2005 -> 10:17 AM)
I found out about this site from the post game show.  Cool Site.  Lifelong Sox Fan so  :gosox1:

Welcome to Soxtalk. :cheers

What did the postgame show have to say about Soxtalk?

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 6, 2005 -> 10:21 AM)
Welcome to Soxtalk. :cheers

What did the postgame show have to say about Soxtalk?

They said that fans should check out Soxtalk.com and whitesoxinteractive.com. They said that they were cool sites and had a ton of smart fans on them. I think it was Wilsy who mentioned it last year towards the end of the year.

Welcome aboard. A word of caution; this place is rough on those who are casual fans so you better know your stuff. Don't wanna scare you off, just a warning. This place is full of guys who can drop stats on you and over exaggerate to make a point . So be prepared to lie, cheat, steal whatever it takes to hang with the big dogs. Even though the welcome thread says "personal attacks won't be tolerated " (or something to that nature). It happens all the time and the longer you have been around here seems to give you more leeway in that respect. If you say something controversial to a long time member some other long time member will be sure to remind you that because you lack the number of posts you have no right to say anything.

Don't let any of this discourage you. Speak your mind say, what you want to say. Freedom of speech (or post) is your inalienable right. If you spend any amount of time here at all , you will be amazed at how heated some of the discussions get over the simplest things. If there is a level above diehard this has to be the place for it.

But ,overall, if you're a Sox fan this is a great place to be. Intelligent and passionate people abound here side by side with egomaniacs and buffoons.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 6, 2005 -> 10:05 AM)
If you say something contraversial to a long time member some other long time member will be sure to remind you that because you lack the number of posts  you have no right to say anything.

And don't you forget it. These 4,000+ posts entitle me to dismiss your opinions at will. :P

Also, White Sox Josh, be weary of creating threads which illustrate the local and national media biases of our club. Several outspoken members dislike this. Personally, I feel it's hilarious when members get worked up over such a trivial issue, but some feel it's necessary to enforce imaginary message board guidelines.

Besides these minor glitches, Soxtalk is a great venue to discuss White Sox baseball. Enoy and spread the word. :gosox1:

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 6, 2005 -> 10:05 AM)
Welcome aboard. A word of caution; this place is rough on those who are casual fans so you better know your stuff. Don't wanna scare you off, just a warning. This place is full of guys who can drop stats on you and over exaggerate to make a point . So be prepared to lie, cheat, steal whatever it takes to hang with the big dogs. Even though the welcome thread says "personal attacks won't be tolerated " (or something to that nature). It happens all the time and the longer you have been around here seems to give you more leeway in that respect. If you say something controversial to a long time member some other long time member will be sure to remind you that because you lack the number of posts  you have no right to say anything.

Don't let any of this discourage you. Speak your mind say, what you want to say. Freedom of speech (or post) is your inalienable right. If you spend any amount of time here at all , you will be amazed at how heated some of the discussions get over the simplest things. If there is a level above diehard  this has to be the place for it.

But ,overall, if you're a Sox fan this is a great place to be. Intelligent and passionate people abound here  side by side with egomaniacs and buffoons.

Also, the first Tuesday of every month none of the posters wear pants.

...just something to keep an eye on.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ May 6, 2005 -> 11:17 AM)
Also, White Sox Josh, be weary of creating threads which illustrate the local and national media biases of our club. Several outspoken members dislike this. Personally, I feel it's hilarious when members get worked up over such a trivial issue, but some feel it's necessary to enforce imaginary message board guidelines.

Trivial indeed. The media is irrelevant.

BLK (Be Like Kenny) > "We don't care!" :headbang

QUOTE(southsider17 @ May 6, 2005 -> 10:37 AM)
Trivial indeed.  The media is irrelevant.

BLK (Be Like Kenny) > "We don't care!" :headbang

Irrelevant to our success, yes; but I still find media coverage a topic worth discussing.

Does it really effect anyone personally whether or not their are Baseball Tonight or "ESPN SUX" threads?

Whenever someone posts a new media thread, and I notice someone complaining, it becomes irritating. Whenever this occures, we're creating a WSI environment in which members are reluctant to speak their minds on an issue.

For example: In the chat room last week I questioned the obsession with Willie Harris on Soxtalk. On numerous occasions there has been heated debates surrounding his role. People feel very strongly for him, and although I don't share this, I wouldn't say "Who Cares?" whenever a thread popped up.

EDIT: I understand someone "speaking their minds on an issue" may include dismissing media threads. You're certainlty entitled to express it.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ May 6, 2005 -> 10:57 AM)
Does it really effect anyone personally whether or not their are Baseball Tonight or "ESPN SUX" threads?

No, but it gets really old to see one basically every day. There is definitely a subset of Sox fans that wants to feel slighted by the media. You need look no further than today's Mariotti thread. Jay basically summarized our season so far and played pretty nice and we see a number of posters go off on him for slamming our team. I guess it's just irritating to me because there are some really good fans here who really appreciate baseball, and yet it seems like half the threads that end up getting generated are about the media and "how they rip us". I guess this is why I'm a proponent of a separate "media" or "ESPN" or "BBTN" board or some combination.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ May 6, 2005 -> 11:57 AM)
Whenever someone posts a new thread, and I notice someone complaining, it becomes irritating. Whenever this occures, we're creating a WSI environment in which members are reluctant to speak their minds on an issue.

Well spoken Flash Tizzle! Speaking up about criticism of the media is what got me ceremoniously BOOTED from WSI. :violin The fact that this place is more open-minded and objective (as a whole) is the reason I post here.

I didn't mean to discourage anyone from posting their opinions, I was just commenting on another poster's words. You won't find me jumping into a media post and criticizing the posters for criticizing. I just ignore it or read quietly.

I love the open atmosphere here! :headbang

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ May 6, 2005 -> 12:19 PM)
Welcome White Sox Josh and Congrats on starting your first argument without even saying anything!! :headbang

So he has passed the initiation as soon as the arguement goes past 10 pages, and includes suspensions :bang (j/k!)

Welcome to Soxtalk Josh! :cheers