What do we need?

mrzo2733

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish @ May 27, 2005 -> 11:08 AM)
I have a question. If we do acquire Chavez then what do we do with Josh Fields? I thought our organizations loved him?

I heard suggestions about him playing 1B. I don't know...he's still a prospect. I would love to get Chavez, but didn't we already determine that Chavez won't be on the market?

QUOTE(Steff @ May 27, 2005 -> 08:04 AM)
A great team...?? Uhhh, no. A great set of pitchers... yes.

What do we need.....? Oh.. how about 6 guys that can hit the ball instead of wetting themselves at the plate.

Totally agree with you there. The suggestion that our hitting is fine based on the quality of our record is insane. We have 3 regulars (Pods, Iguchi, AJ) who have lived up to or exceeded expectations. The rest have all had dissappointing seasons (to put it mildly); I don't see how they could be defended.

Here's the batting averages from yesterday's boxscore after the first 2 spots in the order:

:puke The semi-respectable .273 belongs to Willie Harris, BTW. It's really a miracle we're in first place with that type of lineup.

EDIT: We're LAST in all of baseball with a .234 BA against right handed pitchers.

Edited by Frankensteiner

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ May 27, 2005 -> 04:36 PM)
Totally agree with you there. The suggestion that our hitting is fine based on the quality of our record is insane. We have 3 regulars (Pods, Iguchi, AJ) who have lived up to or exceeded expectations. The rest have all had dissappointing seasons (to put it mildly); I don't see how they could be defended.

Here's the batting averages from yesterday's boxscore after the first 2 spots in the order:

:puke The semi-respectable .273 belongs to Willie Harris, BTW. It's really a miracle we're in first place with that type of lineup.

EDIT: We're LAST in all of baseball with a .234 BA against right handed pitchers.

that's what people look at when they say we're not as good as our record, or that we'll come back down to earth.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 27, 2005 -> 07:04 AM)

What do we need.....? Oh.. how about 6 guys that can hit the ball instead of wetting themselves at the plate.

:notworthy

This pitching staff with last year's offense would've won the division by a large margin. The only reason and I mean only reason we're winning is because of pitching. This offense minus Pods and Gooch is a dissapointment

The thing that's driving me nuts about this team is the fact that almost everyone save Pods, Iguchi, and Crede are right now hitting far below their career averages.

Just look at the numbers

career this year

Dye .269 .212

Kong .276 .237

Everett .275 .232

Arow .286 .262

Uribe .263 .237

A.J. .292 .264

Crede .254 .238

That's just remarkable in my eyes...in our starting lineup, we have only 2 guys who aren't hitting well below their career batting averages...Iguchi (a rookie) and Podsednik, who is hitting his career average.

By the numbers, it's still almost impossible for me to believe that this mess won't improve. You can't just have 7 guys suddenly get worse all in 1 season. The odds against that are just enormous. At some point this season, our numbers are going to regress towards their career mean numbers. Even if they don't get all the way there, those are huge differences to make up.

These guys are better hitters than what we're seeing now. What we need is for them to act like they are supposed to.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 27, 2005 -> 11:40 AM)
The thing that's driving me nuts about this team is the fact that almost everyone save Pods, Iguchi, and Crede are right now hitting far below their career averages.

Just look at the numbers

career      this year

Dye      .269          .212

Kong    .276          .237

Everett .275          .232

Arow    .286          .262

Uribe    .263          .237

A.J.      .292          .264

Crede  .254          .238

That's just remarkable in my eyes...in our starting lineup, we have only 2 guys who aren't hitting well below their career batting averages...Iguchi (a rookie) and Podsednik, who is hitting his career average.

By the numbers, it's still almost impossible for me to believe that this mess won't improve.  You can't just have 7 guys suddenly get worse all in 1 season.  The odds against that are just enormous.  At some point this season, our numbers are going to regress towards their career mean numbers.  Even if they don't get all the way there, those are huge differences to make up.

These guys are better hitters than what we're seeing now.  What we need is for them to act like they are supposed to.

Cruddy is not a better hitt than what you are seeing. What you see is what you get.

Everyone just needs to stop listening to Walker. This pull baseball crap has got to stop. AJ is now his latest guy he has "tweaked". AJ's power numbers will go up, but now he will pull the ball more to the 1st baseman.

Uribe is a streaky hitter. He swings out his ass. Arow is on his way back up.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 27, 2005 -> 05:24 PM)
:notworthy

This pitching staff with last year's offense would've won the division by a large margin. The only reason and I mean only reason we're winning is because of pitching. This offense minus Pods and Gooch is a dissapointment

Last year's offense before Maggs and Frank went down maybe. Not the feast or famine garbage we saw after that.

Guys need to be benched and Walker needs to be on the hot seat. This is not our 1st year with a wierd, underachieving offense.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 27, 2005 -> 12:29 PM)
Last year's offense before Maggs and Frank went down maybe. Not the feast or famine garbage we saw after that.

Guys need to be benched and Walker needs to be on the hot seat. This is not our 1st year with a wierd, underachieving offense.

Well of course not.

I think what you see from PK is the real PK when he doesn't have massive protection in the lineup. If Frank isn't in there, and Carl isn't hitting in back of him, PK is screwed. Like I've said since 2003, Paul Konerko cannot carry an offense. He's best suited when he's the #3 power hitter on the team. He is useless otherwise. I don't like Gload that much at all, but hell, bring him on. Even with the injury.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 27, 2005 -> 06:53 PM)
Well of course not.

I think what you see from PK is the real PK when he doesn't have massive protection in the lineup. If Frank isn't in there, and Carl isn't hitting in back of him, PK is screwed. Like I've said since 2003, Paul Konerko cannot carry an offense. He's best suited when he's the #3 power hitter on the team. He is useless otherwise. I don't like Gload that much at all, but hell, bring him on. Even with the injury.

I wish Gload, Ozuna and even Willie would get hotter n s***, just to put some pressure on Cruddy, Palsy and Urine.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 27, 2005 -> 07:04 AM)

Yeah, I know but if I don't say so then I'd get jumped on by people saying I should just enjoy the year. It was a disclaimer ms. doable one. Back to topic, I like the thought of having Chavez in between Frank and Pauly. Although he's batting like .220 with and OBP of less that .300. I think I'm willing to give up Crede and Anderson for him. He would have to show signs of hitting first though.

QUOTE(mrzo2733 @ May 27, 2005 -> 12:15 PM)
If we're gonna go after an outfielder I'd like him to be better than Mackowiak.

I think the fact is...when you look around MLB, there's not going to be much available for a non-obscene price that is better htan Machowiak.

No matter what, we'd be trying to replace a guy who was struggling, and we'd likely be trying to do it with another guy who is struggling on his own (look at the recent threads here - Chavez, Lowell, etc.)

Otherwise...the cost for an upgrade will be astronomical, especially when the Red Sox and Yankees get into the fray.

QUOTE(mrzo2733 @ May 27, 2005 -> 07:15 PM)
If we're gonna go after an outfielder I'd like him to be better than Mackowiak.

Mackowiak has been playing a lot of 3rd base this season for Pitt. With his strong lefty bat, he'd be a perfect fit for our team.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 27, 2005 -> 01:19 PM)
Mackowiak has been playing a lot of 3rd base this season for Pitt.  With his strong lefty bat, he'd be a perfect fit for our team.

I didn't know that. You're right that does make sense then.

QUOTE(sayitanitso @ May 27, 2005 -> 04:48 PM)
Why not go after Ryan Freel?  Right now he is hitting .322 with 12 stolen bases. He can play practicaly anywhere, and he would most likely be cheap.

Who do you think will be cheaper, a 29 year old super utility man that they control for years to come, or a 35 year old 3rd baseman that is a free agent at the end of the year?

I've always liked Mackowiak, I think that's the best and most realistic name out there right now. I love that .347 avg.

People bashed me when I suggested trading for Mackowiak in the offseason saying he was no better than Cruddy. DOH! This is the guy many people didn't want over Cruddy...

Rob Mackowiak

118 AB

.347 AVG

.425 OBP

.492 SLG

.917 OPS

3 HR

18 RBI

4 SB

15 BB

22 SO

Mackowiak makes Cruddy look like the second coming of Chris Snopek.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 27, 2005 -> 05:59 PM)
People bashed me when I suggested trading for Mackowiak in the offseason saying he was no better than Cruddy.  DOH!  This is the guy many people didn't want over Cruddy...

Rob Mackowiak

Mackowiak makes Cruddy look like the second coming of Chris Snopek.

Mackowiak is extremely valueable seeing how he can play atleast 4 postitions well. The only problem would be prying him away from the pirates. The fans have fallen in love with him there.