Jokers Wild

southsideirish71

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ May 31, 2005 -> 12:48 PM)
Randa will be cheaper next season than Crede...guaranteed.  Also, I have a strong feeling we will not resign Konerko next year, freeing up some money.

it doesnt look good for re-signing Kong, without his salary there would be some nice wiggle room, and a huge hole in the batting order.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 31, 2005 -> 12:49 PM)
it doesnt look good for re-signing Kong, without his salary there would be some nice wiggle room, and a huge hole in the batting order.

Huge hole. I wish he would find a hole to hit the ball at. But again all you have to do is watch how the 3rd baseman gracefully fields the GIDP ball that Kong pullls over when the bases are loaded. Kong is too inconsistant to give the kind of money he will require.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 31, 2005 -> 01:48 PM)
Who are the Free agent 3B this offseason???

Herbert Perry

Mike Mordecai (Retired)

Todd Zeile (Retired)

Mark McLemore (Retired)

Shane Halter

Dean Palmer

George Arias

Bill Mueller

Lenny Harris

Jared Sandberg

Aaron Boone (Team Option)

Wes Helms

Joe Randa

Chris Stynes

Jeff Cirillo

Geoff Blum

Brandon Larson

REalizing of course that we are only in May, but here are your contenders currently:  Sox, Twins, Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays, Orioles, Angels, Texas, Braves, Nationals, Mets, Brewers, Cardinals, Dodgers, Giants, D-BAcks.  You can cross off the Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles, Texas, Braves, Mets, Cardinals, and D-Backs simply because they have better players at third.  That leaves the Sox, Twins, Blue Jays, Angels, Nationals, Brewers, Dodgers, and Giants.  Now, cross off the Blue Jays, and Nationals because they've invested in third basemen already this year.  Sox, TWins, Angels, Brewers, Dodgers and Giants left.  The Brewers and Twins aren't likely to add any salaries or give up any real prospects, so now it's the Sox, Angels and Dodgers.  The Angels are probably out, because they'll focus on more power bats, so this big market is realistically down to 2 teams.

Finally, a logical person encountered on this site.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 31, 2005 -> 11:33 AM)
I'd rather have Crede.  I appreciate his fielding, and his chemistry in the field with Juan.  I think his hitting comes at good times, and he fits nicely into our lineup.  Unless it is Eric Chavez, count me out.

:notworthy

If you ain't getting Chavez, don't bother.

Guest JimH
Why do you say this?  Do you think Kenny doesn't see how godawful Cruddy is?  He wants to win NOW.  Cruddy isn't helping us do that with his s*** at bats.

Holy smokes.

Let me preface all of this by saying I have a great respect for Randa.

First of all, Randa was a FA after last year and I didn't see all kinds of teams lining up to get him. He ended up in Cincy, hardly a prime FA destination. One of the reasons why is Randa has a chronic bad back and is 35. He is currently suffering from a badly bruised foot, and it's possible that will dog him through the year.

Second, it's May. The team is doing well but I agree can be improved. You guys want to make a trade every week, Sox management - although stubborn at times - prefers to show faith in their players. Showing faith in players generally equals good chemistry which generally plays a part in helping teams win.

Third, Crede is not hurting the team defensively.

Fourth, and I know people are tired of hearing about this in our short attention span world of "I want it, and I want it right now" ... Crede is 27, Randa 35. There is still a chance Crede will improve, even though no one wants to hear it or even consider it as a possibility. I'm as frustrated with his offense as all you are but I see the value in patience and not making a major trade. You guys have had the following players traded or released so far this year: Dye, Konerko, Crede, Harris, Everett, Contreras, Perez, Cotts, Vizcaino, and others. Every week (every day?) it's somebody else who "sucks" or needs his ass shipped out. That's knee jerk reacting, especially on the last day of May with the team in 1st place.

Fifth, whether we like it or not, KW and Guillen love to show faith in their players. They made these decisions in March and two months later they are not inclined to 180 degree turn on those decisions. To me, that's smart ... especially since the team is doing pretty well. If Sox management followed all your guys advice, these players would play with zero confidence ... they'd all be playing afraid to get traded. I know some of you will suggest that's BS, but I'll stand by that.

Lastly, the trade market will heat up this month and next. KW and Guillen will see where they're at and what they need ... AFTER giving these guys who are mostly veterans a chance to work through things.

Every week Guillen makes a statement about showing faith in players. KW and Reinsdorf give Guillen an extension so it stands to reason they agree with showing faith in their players too.

Of course there can be improvements, but I see KW adding to the team vs. changing out a key position like 3B. And by the way, I do not think adding some salary is a problem for the White Sox, i.e. I don't think they'd be afraid to add Randa's contract which I believe is a 2 yr. deal. But I don't think they feel it's the right move to trade Crede for Randa. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think so.

Now ... if something happens to Crede I'm in your camp. Get on the phone and get Randa.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 31, 2005 -> 01:57 PM)
:notworthy

If you ain't getting Chavez, don't bother.

I can't understand this logic at all. How can we be so content with the awful, awful play of Crede? Randa may be slightly worse to better defensively than Crede. He is undoubtedly better offensively. He knows the AL Central. He's a veteran presence. He wouldn't cost much.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 31, 2005 -> 07:02 PM)
Holy smokes.

Let me preface all of this by saying I have a great respect for Randa.

Now ... if something happens to Crede I'm in your camp.  Get on the phone and get Randa.

Even though I disagree with you, that was a very good post. I agree that no moves will be made for a while, no matter how bad Crede looks right now.

I can't understand this logic at all.  How can we be so content with the awful, awful play of Crede?  Randa may be slightly worse to better defensively than Crede.  He is undoubtedly better offensively.  He knows the AL Central.  He's a veteran presence.  He wouldn't cost much.

Right on. I'm ceratin Kenny-boy knows how much Crede sucks and is currently looking elsewhere.