*Official* Eric Chavez Speculation/Dream Thread

GreatScott82

Konerko- will snap out of it.

Rowand- has snapped out of it

Dye- on the verge of snapping out of it (if he hasn't already)

Everett- i hope he will snap out of it

Chavez- will snap out of it

Crede- He is what he is. No more than a .250 hitter or less. I say we end the Crede experiement very soon!

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 01:14 PM)
Konerko is finishing up his contract at $8.75 million, and has batted over .288 (Chavez's best season) 3 times.

I don't want Konerko back next year, and I don't want Chavez's overpaid ass for the next three years either.  :angry:

I thought you were making a point with OPS??? That didnt work, now its BA?? Chavez has a better OPS, and OBP and brings more to the team defensively for the same amount of money, whats not to like?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 12:21 PM)
his BA flutuates a bit, but his power numbers, OBP stay close to the same.  I would say a change to our lineup on this team in this stadium is exactly what the doctor ordered, not to mention he is an improvement defensively and adds a left handed bat.

Do those 3 year splits include this year's numbers (I think they do)? Because this year, he's been bad enough to start the season to make himself look like a slow starter.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 01:21 PM)
When has he ever carried the team?... in 2003 he totally sucked.. in 2004 He helped but Carlos Lee and Rowand were better offensively and he is hitting like .223 this year... the reason for the RBI's is because Iguchi and Pods have been so dynamite leading off not because he has been good.

Pauly has never carried the team, and like I said he seems like a nice guy but he isnt nice enough to pay him 10 million.  Borchard works hard too should he be a starter for us too?

Not to mention that his DP's base-clogging and only hitting solo shots never really helps either. This team is taking a turn, and he does not fit in the plans, I love the guy but he has to go!!!

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:21 PM)
Since I'm ragging on Chavez's ability to come out of a slump, I feel it only fair to fire the same question your way.

Right Now Konerko has decided he wants to be a pull hitter and is out in front of almost everything.  When he connects, it can fly a long way...but when he misses it, it becomes a double play or a foul ball.  Paul has shown no indication he wants to try to shorten his swing, stay with a pitch, or drive something the other way.

So I ask you, what reason do you have to think that this won't be another 2003 for Paulie?

you're saying he isnt trying to fix his swing? thats just not true. theres no way a paul konerko is sitting back and being CONTENT with a .230 average

What i get from this is nearly everyone is willing to mortage the future because they are positive chavez is just in a ''slump'' and has nothing to do with steroids. Now i consider all prospects supects until they perform at the major league level. No one player in the minors is a sure thing to be good in the major leagues. But you have to figure out of the package we would be sending the a's ( two of arguably our best three prospects along with another decent prospect) that one of them would pan out in the near future. I also see that it is o.k. that because konerko is overpaid it is alright that chavez is overpaid? You all say that now until we had him and he doesn't hit for s*** then people want him out of here for a bags of balls. I agree with santo 100% about chavez. He is good but not that good. If he was making 8 million a year rather than 11 million per year on average he would look pretty good for the numbers he puts up ( and his defense).

If we traded mccarthy in any deal who is our sixth starter? Jon adkins? Neal cotts? Chances are we will not make it through the next two years without a starter going on the dl for a decent amount of time? Then we are stuck with nearly an automatic loss if either one of them start. I know, i know, everyone wants to ''win now rather than later''. But if you deal with beane get ready to be raped ( even the beane haters cannot deny williams has got the s*** kicked out of him in deals with the a's).

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 07:31 PM)
you're saying he isnt trying to fix his swing?  thats just not true.  theres no way a paul konerko is sitting back and being CONTENT with a .230 average

He is fixing his swing but he isnt fixing his swing approach... To be successful you have to hit both ways Konerko says he is a pull hitter and thats it.

I would love to get Chavez in here as bad as anybody, but I just can't get the name Jason Giambi out of my head. The "juice" seems to flow like wine over there and until he turns it around Chavez may turn out to be the next lame duck. With his contract, the Sox just can't afford to take that risk.

That being said, if he does show signs of life in the batter's box, he would look pretty sweet in the middle of our lineup.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:31 PM)
you're saying he isnt trying to fix his swing?  thats just not true.  theres no way a paul konerko is sitting back and being CONTENT with a .230 average

He stands too close to the plate. He has all f***ing year. If he really wanted to help himself move a step off the plate and he wouldn't get jammed as much and look at a fast ball right down the middle that he should kill. He looks at more strikes down the middle than any one on the white sox... and that is saying something.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:32 PM)
He is fixing his swing but he isnt fixing his swing approach... To be successful you have to hit both ways Konerko says he is a pull hitter and thats it.

You don't have to hit both ways to be succesful. Some of the best hitters of all time, and the best hitters in the game are 98% pull hitters. Sure they hit it the other way when they swing late but that is about it.

i like paulie, thats not gonna change and i'll defend him to the extent that i can, but i will agree that if letting him go/trading him will get us something decent in return i wouldnt be totally opposed. you're all right that it IS 10 mil and i also dont quite think he's worth that much. he's an FA after the season right?

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:36 PM)
i like paulie, thats not gonna change and i'll defend him to the extent that i can, but i will agree that if letting him go/trading him will get us something decent in return i wouldnt be totally opposed.  you're all right that it IS 10 mil and i also dont quite think he's worth that much.  he's an FA after the season right?

He is making 8.75 this year and yes he is a free agent at the end of the year.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 01:31 PM)
What i get from this is nearly everyone is willing to mortage the future because they are positive chavez is just in a ''slump'' and has nothing to do with steroids. Now i consider all prospects supects until they perform at the major league level. No one player in the minors is a sure thing to be good in the major leagues. But you have to figure out of the package we would be sending the a's ( two of arguably our best three prospects along with another decent prospect) that one of them would pan out in the near future.

If we traded mccarthy in any deal who is our sixth starter? Jon adkins? Neal cotts? Chances are we will not make it through the next two years without a starter going on the dl for a decent amount of time?

I wouldnt say its mortgaging the future. BMAC came up for what, 2 starts? How did he do in both of them?? Im not saying he isnt good, he is one of my favorite players, but he may factor as being a third starter or so, or maybe not. The future, right now, means nothing to me, because this is the best team i have seen since '94. I think you trade the whole damn farm if it means going deep into the playoffs and possibly winning it. If that means getting rid of BMAC, so be it. Its not like we dont have some arms behind him. We have some players that could spot start, as well as several prospects that are starting to look extremely good. BMAC came out of nowhere in a hurry, who says someone else cant do that next year? Fact is, if you have a chance to trade a not so certain player, for a all-star caliber player, you do it, hands down, no thought process.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:38 PM)
He is making 8.75 this year and yes he is a free agent at the end of the year.

8.75, my bad

so do you try to pull a deadline deal or just let him walk?

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 12:38 PM)
8.75, my bad

so do you try to pull a deadline deal or just let him walk?

You know...there may be a few clubs willing to give up a fairly large amount for a power-hitting 1b...Houston (If they're anywhere remotely close to the wild card), Atlanta come to mind off the top of my head.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:38 PM)
I wouldnt say its mortgaging the future.  BMAC came up for what, 2 starts?  How did he do in both of them??  Im not saying he isnt good, he is one of my favorite players, but he may factor as being a third starter or so, or maybe not.  The future, right now, means nothing to me, because this is the best team i have seen since '94.  I think you trade the whole damn farm if it means going deep into the playoffs and possibly winning it.  If that means getting rid of BMAC, so be it.  Its not like we dont have some arms behind him.  We have some players that could spot start, as well as several prospects that are starting to look extremely good.  BMAC came out of nowhere in a hurry, who says someone else cant do that next year?  Fact is, if you have a chance to trade a not so certain player, for a all-star caliber player, you do it, hands down, no thought process.

It won't just be mccarthy it would also be one of sweeney/gio/ anderson.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)

I dont know if I would want to part with Gio or Anderson, sweeney would be tough to let go as well, but if we must, we must. All im saying is that if he wants to free up payroll, I dont see it taking 2 top tier prospects, but if we have to do it, then we have to.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:43 PM)

now in that case i'd be against it... not a fan of giving up bmac AND a sweeny/anderson... i dunno i just think that'd go too far

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:45 PM)
I dont know if I would want to part with Gio or Anderson, sweeney would be tough to let go as well, but if we must, we must.  All im saying is that if he wants to free up payroll, I dont see it taking 2 top tier prospects, but if we have to do it, then we have to.

For chavez who is only 27 and a four time gold glover? You better believe it would cost that much. I certainly don't think he should considering his contract but it will.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 01:47 PM)
For chavez who is only 27 and a four time gold glover? You better believe it would cost that much. I certainly don't think he should considering his contract but it will.

Then you have to do it, this is the team and the year, and we cant keep preparing for the future. Look at it this way, you could give him Fields and BMAC, theres 2 of our most promising prospects, one of which is major league ready, and he gets the money off the books. In a heart beat.

I will really be mad if we got Chavez's overpaid ass and traded BMac for him.

Do any of you focking realize Chavez is making money equivalent to what New York is paying ARod (since Rangers are paying a lot of ARod's salary still) and what St Louis is paying Pujols?

Why the fock would a team like ours that is fiscally constrained want to trade for such a ridiculous contract when the guy under question is focking sucking this year?

Do you all realize Beane is under more pressure to improve his team than Kenny is? So play the leverage game and fock Beane when you can.

What of Beane knows Chavez was on the juice previously and hence is dying to let him go to a sucker soon? It is possible that Chavez could have been influenced by Giambi (team mates always pick up stuff from other team mates)

When has Chavez's overpaid ass EVER won anything?

Yes, you buy low, sell high. But not if that guy will be the highest paid player on your team.

If we are willing to pay that ridiculous contract that Chavez is signed to, we should instead have traded Paulie in the off season and signed Delgado instead. A far better player that would be a monster in our home park.