*Official* Eric Chavez Speculation/Dream Thread

GreatScott82

so the question is if you'd be willing to part w/ bmac and sweeney... i think thats the most likely combination... and... i dont know... i like sweeney cuz he's from cedar rapids haha but ... im undecided on it, but our stockpile of minor league outfielders is quickly draining...

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 01:47 PM)
For chavez who is only 27 and a four time gold glover? You better believe it would cost that much. I certainly don't think he should considering his contract but it will.

Then you have to do it, this is the team and the year, and we cant keep preparing for the future. Look at it this way, you could give him Fields and BMAC, theres 2 of our most promising prospects, one of which is major league ready, and he gets the money off the books. In a perfect world thats all it would take, but we both know better. If it take two or three Prospects, you still have to do it, because who knows if they will even pan out, while you know chavez has.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:50 PM)
I will really be mad if we got Chavez's overpaid ass and traded BMac for him.

Do any of you focking realize Chavez is making money equivalent to what New York is paying ARod (since Rangers are paying a lot of ARod's salary still) and what St Louis is paying Pujols?

Why the fock would a team like ours that is fiscally constrained want to trade for such a ridiculous contract when the guy under question is focking sucking this year?

Do you all realize Beane is under more pressure to improve his team than Kenny is? So play the leverage game and fock Beane when you can.

What of Beane knows Chavez was on the juice previously and hence is dying to let him go to a sucker soon? It is possible that Chavez could have been influenced by Giambi (team mates always pick up stuff from other team mates)

When has Chavez's overpaid ass EVER won anything?

Yes, you buy low, sell high. But not if that guy will be the highest paid player on your team.

If we are willing to pay that ridiculous contract that Chavez is signed to, we should instead have traded Paulie in the off season and signed Delgado instead. A far better player that would be a monster in our home park.

wow... that was weird...

pujols is getting paid what he is because he's still under his 6 year initial contract. and calling him an overpaid ass just... i dont know... seems kind of stupid

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 01:50 PM)

Do any of you focking realize Chavez is making money equivalent to what New York is paying ARod (since Rangers are paying a lot of ARod's salary still) and what St Louis is paying Pujols?

Why the fock would a team like ours that is fiscally constrained want to trade for such a ridiculous contract when the guy under question is focking sucking this year?

Do you all realize Beane is under more pressure to improve his team than Kenny is? So play the leverage game and fock Beane when you can.

What of Beane knows Chavez was on the juice previously and hence is dying to let him go to a sucker soon? It is possible that Chavez could have been influenced by Giambi (team mates always pick up stuff from other team mates)

Yes, you buy low, sell high. But not if that guy will be the highest paid player on your team.

If we are willing to pay that ridiculous contract that Chavez is signed to, we should instead have traded Paulie in the off season and signed Delgado instead. A far better player that would be a monster in our home park.

do you realize that we are paying Pauly the same amount as Chavez??????? With less help defensively and on the basepaths, while Chavez is more productive at the plate???

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 01:47 PM)
For chavez who is only 27 and a four time gold glover? You better believe it would cost that much. I certainly don't think he should considering his contract but it will.

If Billy Beane wants to trade Chavez during the 2005 season, it will be at a diminished value. Most of the large payroll teams that are contending already have a good 3B. The teams that could use an upgrade there, such as the Dodgers or White Sox, have a somewhat limited payroll. If Oakland wants to move Chavez to either, they will either need to do so with cash considerations or fewer or lesser prospects, especially when other starting/utility quality 3B such as Polanco or Mackowiak could be had for less. The exception may be the Angels, but I'm not sure how likely Oakland is to trade within the division and how dedicated they are to Dallas McPherson for this season. Thus, it seems that Chavez won't be moved until the 2005-2006 offseason at the earliest.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 07:07 PM)
I've made this post at least a dozen times, and even shown the stats, HE HAS NEVER HAD AN OPS OF .900 IN A SEASON YET HE GETS PAID LIKE A SLUGGER. :chair

Chavez OPS+:

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 01:55 PM)
If Billy Beane wants to trade Chavez during the 2005 season, it will be at a diminished value.  Most of the large payroll teams that are contending already have a good 3B.  The teams that could use an upgrade there, such as the Dodgers or White Sox, have a somewhat limited payroll.  If Oakland wants to move Chavez to either, they will either need to do so with cash considerations or fewer or lesser prospects, especially when other starting/utility quality 3B such as Polanco or Mackowiak could be had for less.  The exception may be the Angels, but I'm not sure how likely Oakland is to trade within the division and how dedicated they are to Dallas McPherson for this season.  Thus, it seems that Chavez won't be moved until the 2005-2006 offseason at the earliest.

I fully expect Beane to make several moves during the season, Zito and Dotel will be moved before the deadline. Im not sure what would stop him from dealing Chavez as well.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:50 PM)

The Yankees are paying Arod $18 million, the Rangers are paying the other $7 mil.

Pujols hasn't hit his free agency years which is why his contract looks so small, once he gets past his sixth year of service, you can bet his contract starts to hit the mid teens per year.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 07:53 PM)
do you realize that we are paying Pauly the same amount as Chavez??????? With less help defensively and on the basepaths, while Chavez is more productive at the plate???

The Sox cannot afford a bad contract under any circumstance. Our team would be done if we got stuck with a ridiculous contract like Chavez if he did not perform anywhere close to his career #s

We are not the Spankees who can live with a bad contract (see Giambi)

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 01:57 PM)
The Yankees are paying Arod $18 million, the Rangers are paying the other $7 mil. 

Pujols hasn't hit his free agency years which is why his contract looks so small, once he gets past his sixth year of service, you can bet his contract starts to hit the mid teens per year.

Didnt Chavez's overpaid ass win something?? OH yeah 2001 - AL Gold Glove Award Winner (3B).(August 30)....2002 - AL Silver Slugger Award Winner (3B)....AL Gold Glove Award Winner (3B)....2003 - AL Gold Glove Award Winner (3B)....2004 - AL Gold Glove Award Winner (3

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 01:57 PM)
I fully expect Beane to make several moves during the season, Zito and Dotel will be moved before the deadline.  Im not sure what would stop him from dealing Chavez as well.

He's not getting much for Zito, whose stock has to be at an all-time low, but I guess some contender will be desperate for another starter around the trading deadline, so he might luck out. I'm not sure what he'll get for Dotel, either. If he moves those three: Chavez, Zito, and Dotel, at reasonable market value (i.e. 3 2006 everyday players, plus good prospects), then I'll applaud Beane for being a good GM.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 07:50 PM)

Oh, so now we shouldn't trade for Chavez because he isn't a "winner".

We need a real winner like Vinny Castilla on this team to take us to the promised land...

EDIT: And, I should say, I don't know if I'm quite for or against this trade. I'd have to look at it real closely and for a real long time.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 01:59 PM)
Have you looked at Konerko and Chavez's numbers this year?

Thus far this year, Crede is outperforming Chavez.

This year is over already? Career numbers speak for themselves, thanks...plus putting crede and Chavez in the same sentence is just ridiculous.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 01:50 PM)

Delgado didn't want to come to this team. He proved it last year when KW traded for him, but he wouldn't decline his no trade clause. Hell they traded for him twice and had Ozzie talk to him and he just didn't want to come. Paul is a one dimensional hitter. I wouldn't go so far to call him the leader of the team(I would reserve that for Rowand and Buehrle and still a little for Thomas). PK has led us to nothing. He's proved he can't carry an offense. He did good when we had Thomas protecting him and Lee's protection and Maggs' protection. Chavez would be an upgrade over PK. And btw, Pujols signed a hell of a deal with the Cards and gave them a hometown discount. Everyone said he could've gotten A-Rod money once he became a FA, but he wanted to stay loyal which is why he just basically signed the first contract they offered him. A-Rod is still make 21 million, regardless of who's paying it so Chavez isn't in his money bracket.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:02 PM)
Oh, so now we shouldn't trade for Chavez because he isn't a "winner".

We need a real winner like Vinny Castilla on this team to take us to the promised land...

EDIT:  And, I should say, I don't know if I'm quite for or against this trade.  I'd have to look at it real closely and for a real long time.

My argument for it is that would adding Chavez to this year's lineup make us better, of course. Next year...Would Chavez and Gload (for example) be better than Konerko and Crede, offensively and defensively, yes.

Another thing about Chavez: I believe that Marte was responsible for breaking Chavez's hand when he hit Chavez with a pitch in 2004, leading to a 3+ week stint on the DL. Would this possibly cause chemistry issues?

Another thing about Chavez: I believe that Marte was responsible for breaking Chavez's hand when he hit Chavez with a pitch in 2004, leading to a 3+ week stint on the DL.  Would this possibly cause chemistry issues?

No. It wasn't intentional anyways. I doubt Chavez would hold a grudge like that.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 06:41 PM)
You know what I ahve been seeing you say this for months, and I thought I was sick of hearing it, but Damn it its beginning to sync in with me. i think i am with you on this. GET VINNY f***ING CASTILLA.

:headbang :headbang :headbang

Castilla in 2005:

49 G, 173 AB, 21 R, 50 H, 3 SB, 4 HR, 25 RBI, 0.289 AVG, 0.363 OBP, 0.451 SLG%

Chavez in 2005:

51 G, 202 AB, 19 R, 44 H, 0 SB, 4 HR, 23 RBI, 0.218 AVG, 0.276 OBP, 0.317 SLG%

Cruddy in 2005:

50 G, 163 AB, 20 R, 37 H, 0 SB, 5 HR, 18 RBI, 0.227 AVG, 0.286 OBP, 0.368 SLG%

For all the talk regarding Chavez's speed, he has 0 SB compared to 3 for Vinny

Edited by sox-r-us

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:08 PM)
:headbang  :headbang  :headbang

Castilla in 2005:

Chavez in 2005:

Cruddy in 2005:

Are you seriously now going to argue that Vinny Castilla is better than Eric Chavez???

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 03:08 PM)

Castilla in 2005:

Chavez in 2005:

Cruddy in 2005:

His batting average also fell 45 points in May, where he managed to get 1 homer and 9 RBI... He is quickly falling back to earth and isn't worth getting.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:08 PM)

Castilla in 2005:

Chavez in 2005:

Cruddy in 2005:

So are you entertaining trade offers for AJ? By asking the Nationals to trade Castilla, you're basically doing the same thing.

Besides, Crede's HR production is 25% better than Castilla's

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 08:10 PM)
So are you entertaining trade offers for AJ?  By asking the Nationals to trade Castilla, you're basically doing the same thing.

Besides, Crede's HR production is 25% better than Castilla's

I am confident the Nats will be out of it come trade deadline time. I am not saying do it now....wait until trade deadline....maybe by then Crede will get better too....who knows

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 08:09 PM)
Are you seriously now going to argue that Vinny Castilla is better than Eric Chavez???

I am going to argue that Vinny/$ is better than Eric/$. It is all about value. If we get Vinny, we could still add a Wagner easily and still have the same payroll hit as getting overpaid Chavez. And if the Sox decide they want to increase their pay roll for now and in the future, then they should target a stud in the offseason