Eric Chavez quote...

redandwhite

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 12:44 PM)
name the last GM who came on the radio and said they were going to trade their players

We will be accepting offers of SS and OF prospects for our starting 1B, we will also consider offers of pitching prospects, a major league ready catcher, and cash considerations for our closer.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 11:44 AM)
name the last GM who came on the radio and said they were going to trade their players

Happens pretty regularly with holdout players or ones that wont take a pay cut (see RW McQuarters).

QUOTE(Adam G @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 01:20 PM)
Happens pretty regularly with holdout players or ones that wont take a pay cut (see RW McQuarters).

once again, name the last GM to come on the radio and say they are going to trade a player. Especially one who has the largest contract ever offered by the ballclub.

Did the WSox suddenly get an infusion of cash?

Eric Chavez

Contract $66M/6yr (2005 $8M first yr)

Why do it? Proven success.

2002 Pos-AS 38R, 51RBI, .280A, .355O, .480S

2003 Pos-AS 48R, 51RBI, .313A, .378O, .562S

2004 Pos-AS 49R, 40RBI, .286A, .403O, .507S

He's 20R & 20RBI off the pace in his Pre-AS numbers. Is this because

of the A's dismal lineup or is there a health concern? He's currently hitting between Kendall (.324O, .293S) & Hatteberg (.345O, .359S).

In 2004 he had McLemore (.355O, .328S) & Dye (.329O, .464S).

In 2003 he had Durazo (.374O, .430S) & Tejada (.336O, .472S).

It goes w/out saying there's a drop-off in the talent around him in the lineup. But does it explain his (.284O, .340S) for 2005? Is he healthy?

I don't know how the WSox can afford it, but if you are going to trade for him you must guarantee a high OBP guy hitting ahead of him in the lineup.

Surprisingly Thomas, Iguchi, & Pods all fit that bill.

Do you trade Koney (.336O, .462S, 27R, 37RBI) then to offset the money for this year?

Oakland is going to throw in any cash. Chavez weak 1st half is just going to get you a lower price to pay in talent. After 2005 his cost is $58M/5 yr.

Right around the first offer price to Maggs. Is Chavez capable of producing

100R, 120RBI consistently yr after yr w the White Sox?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/spli...tting&year=2005

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/spli...tting&year=2004

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/spli...tting&year=2003

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/spli...tting&year=2002

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlbhist/players/...14&type=batting

He has 46AB at the Cell but 33 v Mark & 31 v Loaiza. He owns Garland so I would say it's more likely the fact he mostly matched up against Mark & E-Lo in those 3 yrs then the park itself. It should be tailor made for him with the short RF fence.

If the price is Crede, Anderson, & another prospect I'm willing to do that. But if Beane is holding out for BMac forget it.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 01:25 PM)
Did the WSox suddenly get an infusion of cash?

Eric Chavez

Contract $66M/6yr (2005 $8M first yr)

Why do it?  Proven success.

2002 Pos-AS 38R, 51RBI, .280A,  .355O,  .480S

2003 Pos-AS 48R, 51RBI, .313A,  .378O,  .562S

2004 Pos-AS 49R, 40RBI, .286A,  .403O,  .507S

He's 20R & 20RBI off the pace in his Pre-AS numbers.  Is this because

of the A's dismal lineup or is there a health concern?  He's currently hitting between Kendall (.324O, .293S) & Hatteberg (.345O, .359S). 

In 2004 he had McLemore (.355O, .328S) & Dye (.329O, .464S).

In 2003 he had Durazo (.374O, .430S) & Tejada (.336O, .472S).

It goes w/out saying there's a drop-off in the talent around him in the lineup.  But does it explain his (.284O, .340S) for 2005?  Is he healthy?

I don't know how the WSox can afford it, but if you are going to trade for him you must guarantee a high OBP guy hitting ahead of him in the lineup.

Surprisingly Thomas, Iguchi, & Pods all fit that bill.

Do you trade Koney (.336O, .462S, 27R, 37RBI) then to offset the money for this year?

Oakland is going to throw in any cash.  Chavez weak 1st half is just going to get you a lower price to pay in talent.  After 2005 his cost is $58M/5 yr.

Right around the first offer price to Maggs.  Is Chavez capable of producing

100R, 120RBI consistently yr after yr w the White Sox?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/spli...tting&year=2005

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/spli...tting&year=2004

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/spli...tting&year=2003

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/spli...tting&year=2002

You have to factor in more than his offensive numbers to rationalize his talent as a ball player. Will he put up the numbers Maggs did, probably not quite, but at the same time, was maggs a four time gold glover, in a position at which defense is a must, nope. Not to mention that having a built in first place team, a better hitting lineup and a team with more chemitry waiting for him to join, also factor in one of his cloest friends in Dye on the team. I think an improvement is not a stretch. Maybe this year the payroll would be a stretch since we would have to pay some of his salary, but getting rid of Koney next year would basically be a wash.

Juggs, not trying to harp on you or anything, I just think his defensive talents need to factor into his worth, I agree with you on most of your points.

Edited by RockRaines

Just kind of thinking here, if the Sox do let Paulie walk at the end of the year. I wonder if the Sox could try and swing a deal with Pitt for Craig Wilson to play 1b. I would bet you could get him somewhat cheap from them. Not sure if they would deal him but figured it an idea.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 01:35 PM)
Just kind of thinking here, if the Sox do let Paulie walk at the end of the year. I wonder if the Sox could try and swing a deal with Pitt for Craig Wilson to play 1b. I would bet you could get him somewhat cheap from them. Not sure if they would deal him but figured it an idea.

At this point, there isnt much value to re-sign paulie, because he doesnt fit our mold of what we are trying to do, and he is going to command more money that we need to spend on him. I think we let him walk.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 01:35 PM)

Chances are they hold onto him until mid season next year and trade him. Reason being is after next season he is a free agent and a small market team like the pirates would probally like to get the most out of him.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 01:52 PM)
What's your point?

Beane said he isn't going to trade him.  :rolly

Jeremy reed was untouchable accoring to kenny williams too... until he no longer was.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 01:46 PM)
Chances are they hold onto him until mid season next year and trade him. Reason being is after next season he is a free agent and a small market team like the pirates would probally like to get the most out of him.

isnt he a free agent after this season?

QUOTE(southsider17 @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 01:56 PM)
That's not what I heard on the radio last year.

Well there's an article on whitesox.com that quotes KW as saying Borchard was untouchable (I'll find it,) and Rick Hahn said that Reed was not on KW's "3 year board."

So whose words are you going to take, the General Manager and the assistant GM, or some sports-blab nonsense?

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 01:55 PM)
Borchard was the untouchable one, not Reed.

No way. Borchard was never an option for that trade anyway. Reed was apart of his little three year plan along with olivo ( he supposedly doesn't trade anyone from it). Why the f*** would borchard have been untouchable oast year over reed? Makes no sense if you ask me.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)
Wasn't he just flat-out released? Not traded?

They released him after they couldnt trade him. Angelo made it public that he wanted a 7th rounder and they couldnt get it.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 01:55 PM)
isnt he a free agent after this season?

Nope. 2006-2007. Here are the other first base man free agents then.

Sean Casey

Phil Nevin

Derrek Lee

Jeff Bagwell (Team Option)

Darin Erstad

Dimitri Young (Team Option)

David Ortiz (Team Option)

Craig Wilson

Nick Johnson

Aubrey Huff

Granted this is from the baseballthinkfactory but this was their preason comments on Joe Crede.

B Joe Crede (2004: Crede)

Is this guy a streak hitter or what? From the beginning of the season: 0 for 8; then 7 for 18; then 0 for 12; 4 for 11; 0 for 11; 15 for 45; 1 for 26. He hit .329/.418/.600 in June, but an amazingly bad .198/.232/.264 in July. The other thing that jumps out at you when you look at Crede’s batting stats is how eminently mediocre a hitter he is. If a pitcher knows himself, then Crede is toast. Crede can’t hit the good flyball pitchers nor the good groundball pitchers. He can’t hit the good finesse pitchers nor the good power pitchers. He’s mediocre the first time he faces a pitcher and remains so in all subsequent at bats. He’s in his prime breakout years, but right now he has one offensive skill – he creams a first pitch fastball from crappy pitchers. End of story.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 12:23 PM)
once again, name the last GM to come on the radio and say they are going to trade a player.  Especially one who has the largest contract ever offered by the ballclub.

I told you the one that came to mind. I dont devote much brainpower to remembering the various GMs' trading strategies.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 01:58 PM)
and Rick Hahn said that Reed was not on KW's "3 year board."

I remember that.

The radio report (I can't remember which station) was quoting Kenny saying that Reed and someone else (probably Borchard) were "untouchable".

Here's a quote from the 5-30-2004 Tribune:

"There was very little discussion about moving major-league players, because I like the composition of this team," Williams said. "But nobody is untouchable. Nobody."

"Two words," Williams replied. "Nineteen seventeen." That, of course, is the last year the White Sox won a World Series.

"If the question is 'Will I sacrifice a little bit of our future for present glory?' the answer is yes. But if the question is also 'Would I do something stupid?' the answer is ... maybe."

here's a report from Ofman on 6-10-2004 (FWIW)

On the Score at 8:00 a.m., Mike Murphy and Mulligan had on George Ofman to talk about the White Sox. George was saying that KW is actively persuing a starter, including Tomo Ohka and Freddie Garcia.

They then asked what they would have to give up for Garcia, and Ofman then said that KW stated that Borchard is untouchable. A package would most likely include a package of Jeremy Reed.

Murph then asked "KW would trade Reed before Borchard?"

Ofman responded "Absolutely."