White Sox looking to deal Thomas or Everett

DBAHO

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but if either are dealt, I have a feeling it wouldn't be for a Casey Kotchman because he wouldn't be able to help us much this year unless we bench PK which this team won't. It'll just give us another Everett/Frank situation at 1B instead of DH. If KW makes a move, it'll be to make this starting lineup complete for this year for a strong postseason run.

I think the Sox will only trade Frank over Everett if they are getting something significantly better than they will get for Everett at the positions they're looking for. Say Everett would net a Vinny Castilla and Thomas would net an Eric Chavez(hypothetically speaking), KW will go with the name player and get Eric Chavez, but if the package they would get for Frank is just slightly better than they would get for Everett, we'll end up trading Everett.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 01:08 PM)
The question is, when will Frank Thomas hit like Frank Thomas, and how long can we afford to wait for that?

Is he going to be any worse than anyone we have right now? The offense isn't exactly comparable to a 2003 or 2004 offense on its good days. This team depends on pitching, not so much what the offense does. With that being said, I just think Frank's going to be an asset and not a liability to the Sox offense in '05.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 03:58 PM)
Is he going to be any worse than anyone we have right now?  The offense isn't exactly comparable to a 2003 or 2004 offense on its good days.  This team depends on pitching, not so much what the offense does.  With that being said, I just think Frank's going to be an asset and not a liability to the Sox offense in '05.

Any worse than our second most productive RBI man? Runs are hard to come by right now, he had better hit really damned soon if we are going to keep winning. The last thing we can do is sacrifice games right now.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 12:57 PM)
The Angels need a DH.  This is probably wishful thinking, but maybe Everett and a prospect for Casey Kotchman?  Then it could be see ya later Paulie.

Very, VERY wishful thinking, no way would they part with Kotchman who will probly replace Erstad next year or the year after, he's gonna be a big piece of that Angel infield.

In my little stupid world, I think Thomas will be the fall guy if he doesn't swing the bat well and they'll keep Everret.

I can't see them bailing on Konerko if he heats up, he's playing better so far in june.

I think if he signs a contract extension the sox will make him the team captain.

Thomas never got that nod cause all the stupid s*** he says and alot of fans don't like him, generally everyone loves pauly.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 09:21 PM)
Very, VERY wishful thinking, no way would they part with Kotchman who will probly replace Erstad next year or the year after, he's gonna be a big piece of that Angel infield.

I'd rather have Erstad. Next year, I mean.

Edited by SEALgep

how many times have you seen a player hang on when he should have retired? this reminds me of that kind of situation. FT has had a wonderful career and should retire.

on the side note, does anyone think that he would take a secondary roles and not b****, even if the team is winning???

how many times have you seen a player hang on when he should have retired? this reminds me of that kind of situation. FT has had a wonderful career and should retire.

on the side note, does anyone think that he would take a secondary roles and not b****, even if the team is winning???

Frank should retire? Did you even see what Frank did in today's game? I think you should "retire" from making idiotic comments like that.

Edited by Jabroni

Guest JimH
Frank should retire?  Did you even see what Frank did in today's game?  I think you should "retire" from making idiotic comments like that.

Good job editing the post from calling him an idiot vs. saying the statement was idiotic.

one game does not make a season nor does it make a reason to hold out hope.

touche are we.

I still don't think you watched today's game. I hope you wouldn't rather have Everett over Frank as our DH. If you think Everett is a better hitter than Thomas, you are sadly mistaken.

And Frank just turned 37. Everett is 34. Is it time for Carl to hang it up as well?

Edited by Jabroni

Haven't seen this mentioned yet, but it was in today's Sun-Times that Guillen refuted reports that the Sox would be trading either Everett or Thomas.

Yep...

"Guillen denies changes in works"

June 5, 2005

BY TONI GINNETTI Staff Reporter

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-toni05.html

There's no reason to expect the White Sox to make significant roster changes or a trade in the coming days. Even though there seems to be a logjam at designated hitter with Frank Thomas and Carl Everett, manager Ozzie Guillen said Saturday he has no desire to carry fewer than the current 11 pitchers or find another position player.

"Deals are up to [general manager] Kenny [Williams],'' Guillen said. "But I've always told him, 'Don't just bring a player here unless he plays the way we play.' I don't want a superstar just for the fans to get excited. These are the 25 guys we have. Nobody's going to get traded from here yet. We're not talking about any trades yet.''

The only imminent move appears to be the activation of first baseman/outfielder Ross Gload, who is rehabbing from inflammation in his left shoulder at Class AAA Charlotte. But with interleague play this week limiting playing time for several hitters, Gload might not be activated until next week.

"Kenny will talk to [Charlotte manager] Nick Leyva to see how [Gload] is,'' Guillen said. "He can't play the outfield, so that doesn't do me any good [this week] because I already have Paul [Konerko] and Frank [Thomas] who can't play [anywhere but first]. Hopefully, everything will work out for the best.''

Edited by Jabroni

Any chance San Diego's GM could go temporarily insane and decide to trade us Peavy for Everett?

Not a chance in hell. If San Diego's GM was stupid enough to trade Peavy for Everett and then have him start in the outfield at PETCO, he would get fired immediately.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 09:35 PM)
Damnit! :lol: Not that I thought there was a chnce of that, just that Jake Peavy is an awesome pitcher, and he's only 23. I'd love to see him on the south side, but I know it's not going to happen.

He would be a luxury, but not necessarily a need. Our pitching staff is good enough, at least starting 5 wise. Bullpen could use some help. Anyone know if Phillies need an OF? We could swap Everett for Wagner. Then again, Philly is still in it.