White Sox looking to deal Thomas or Everett

DBAHO

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 02:03 PM)
The backlash from Sox fans I think would be far too great for that to ever happen. You think attendance is bad now, what type of message will dealing Frank Thomas in the middle of a pennant race send to the fans?

I'm sure if Thomas was dealt, the Sox would make sure to dig out (make up) a lot of dirt on him, that the majority of the fan base would believe and suddenly Frank would be a cancerous,selfish, greedy, money hungry, wife beating, racist........

QUOTE(I-HATE-CREDE @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 12:55 PM)
Wrong.  The media hangs on (some would say twist) everything Thomas says.

If you were listening, Frank has been saying stuff like that for months, then all of the sudden he saids he needs his ABs and it is front page news in both papers. Try again.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 11:02 AM)
Thank you!

Trading Carl would be a negative blow to this team's chemistry.  He has emerged as the leader of this team.

With Carl as the fourth outfielder spelling Dye, Pods and Rowand (Pods in CF, Carl in LF), plus DHing a couple of times a week and some pinch hitting, both Frank and Carl can get plenty of AB's and everyone stays fresh.  Timo just takes AB's away from Carl.

With Gload back on the bench, Timo's role of LH pinch hitter is also taken.

Keep Carl and Frank and cut Timo.

I like that idea better. :)

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 02:03 PM)
The backlash from Sox fans I think would be far too great for that to ever happen. You think attendance is bad now, what type of message will dealing Frank Thomas in the middle of a pennant race send to the fans?

I find it somewhat humorous that so many Sox fans would be pissed if Frank were traded. I know trading Frank isn't likely because of his contract, injuries, etc. But the club has the best record in baseball without him. If trading him was viable and the club would keep winning, why would fans balk? Do Sox fans not really want a winner??

Dbaho, this isn't aimed directly at you. Just at the mindset that many seem to carry that Frank is an untouchable icon. If dealing Frank helps the Sox win, I say deal him yesterday!

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 02:18 PM)
Speaking of Sean Tracey, now the Phillies were scouting him heavily a week or 2 back, and I see this little bit of news;

Could Sean Tracey be a starter they would look at? They've got Gavin Floyd though, so they'd probably give him first crack. Polanco has always been an option at third base though.

Sean Tracey is not close to ready for the big leagues.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 06:04 PM)
I find it somewhat humorous that so many Sox fans would be pissed if Frank were traded.  I know trading Frank isn't likely because of his contract, injuries, etc.  But the club has the best record in baseball without him.  If trading him was viable and the club would keep winning, why would fans balk?  Do Sox fans not really want a winner?? 

Dbaho, this isn't aimed directly at you.  Just at the mindset that many seem to carry that Frank is an untouchable icon.  If dealing Frank helps the Sox win, I say deal him yesterday!

Personally, I don't see the Sox winning like this without a bat like Thomas' back in the lineup on a daily basis. I think our lineup goes from below average to above average just by having #35 in the middle of the lineup, but that's JMO.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 01:07 PM)
Personally, I don't see the Sox winning like this without a bat like Thomas' back in the lineup on a daily basis.  I think our lineup goes from below average to above average just by having #35 in the middle of the lineup, but that's JMO.

The question is, when will Frank Thomas hit like Frank Thomas, and how long can we afford to wait for that?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 06:08 PM)
The question is, when will Frank Thomas hit like Frank Thomas, and how long can we afford to wait for that?

Still, though, I think Thomas at his worst (and I'm expecting something like .250/.370 out of him) are better than anything Everett does for us -- IMO. But, I certainly don't expect Thomas to put up the numbers he was putting up the first half of last year...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 01:10 PM)
Still, though, I think Thomas at his worst (and I'm expecting something like .250/.370 out of him) are better than anything Everett does for us -- IMO.  But, I certainly don't expect Thomas to put up the numbers he was putting up the first half of last year...

Carl Everett was on pace for about 25 HR and 100 RBIs playing everyday. He was doing the job, all except for OBP.

Frank Thomas will hit like Frank Thomas when Ozzie puts him in the line-up everyday. Besides, Frank Thomas hitting like a shadow of his former self is still better than Carl Everett hitting like Carl Everett.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 05:57 PM)
I'm sure if Thomas was dealt, the Sox would make sure to dig out (make up) a lot of dirt on him, that the majority of the fan base would believe and suddenly Frank would be a cancerous,selfish, greedy, money hungry, wife beating, racist........

And this would be the first time you have ever heard Frank called cancerous, selfish or greedy??? Where have you been hiding?

QUOTE(sayitanitso @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 12:00 PM)
I like that idea better. :)

I think we should keep both. I think we need Frank. He should get his 5 starts a week and try to get Carl 3 all over the place. He's just gonna have to deal with that. Carl really seems to be the type of hitter who would do well coming off the bench to pinch-hit. This all depends though on exactly what Everett could get us in return. I think if we can get a really good bullpen arm, that would benefit us more than Everett once Gload comes back.

The problem is, if we decide to keep Frank over Everett, we're going to end up seeing a lot of Timo I have a feeling. Frank can't be counted on to remain healthy the rest of the way, and I can't see how he'd be able to play more than 4 times a week. If we get rid of Everett, who is going to be the DH? That's right, everyone's favorite manager fluffer....OMIT TIMO.

If the Sox trade either Everett or Thomas to the Angels, Kenny W shoudl be fired on the spot. And this is coming from one of his most ardent supporters.

WHY THE FOCK SHOULD W EHELP OUT ANOTHER AL CONTENDING TEAM? Do we want to see our asses handed to us by the Angels int he playoffs? We went 4-3 against them and that could easily have been 6-1 in their favor (or ours).

Bottom line - you do not help out another contender when you are trying to win a WS. For a change, there may be no yankees to deal with in the playoffs. Then why help anyone else?????

Ozzie is a focking moron. He has no clue how if we trade Frank our O would be continue to stay pitiful and we might even not make it with the Twins right behind us. And if we trade Everett and Frank's injury reappears, we are screwed too.

Just stay the course. Give Rowand, Dye, Pods, Big Hurt days off and get Everett some at bats that way. Or still better bench Paulie's pathetic ass and play FRank at 1B. If Timo can play 1B, so can Frank. Much better than Timo at least. Ozzie is such an idiot. I hope JR steps in and stops this Kenny + Ozzie love fest to drive Frank out of here. :headshake

I'm not the biggest Carl fan either, but I think the key here is that nothing is going to happen real soon. There is no way they will trade anyone until they are assured that Frank can stay healthy and that he will hit. Who knows if that will happen this year?

I know discussing trading Frank is pointless because the options to do so are extemely limited, but one can't make the assumption that trading Frank would make the offense worse until you see what they get in return and how it affects the team. What if they traded Frank yet were able to get a 3B to step in and contribute (just an example)?

My only point is hanging on to Frank as a fan and having a desire for the Sox to win this year, COULD be conflicting. It's a moot point anyway, but it is POSSIBLE trading Frank could help the club win.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 01:17 PM)
It really seems like Ozzie values Timo more than he does Frank Thomas.  Things really seem to be getting crazy behind the scenes with agendas and feuds.

Where the heck would you get that from? The fact that Ozzie is benching a guy on pace for 100 RBIs for Frank? Or the newspaper article with no basis in fact that siad they were trying to trade Frank? That's just insane.

And this would be the first time you have ever heard Frank called cancerous, selfish or greedy???  Where have you been hiding?

Who gives a s***, as long as he hits. Cancerous, selfish and greedy didn't seem to be a problem in 1993 or 2000. When the White Sox aren't winning, the Chicago media searches for scapegoats. They usually hone in on Big Frank.