White Sox looking to deal Thomas or Everett

DBAHO

He would be a luxury, but not necessarily a need. Our pitching staff is good enough, at least starting 5 wise. Bullpen could use some help. Anyone know if Phillies need an OF? We could swap Everett for Wagner. Then again, Philly is still in it.

Even if the Phillies needed an outfielder, it would take a helluvalot more than Everett to get Wagner. They already have 5 outfielders -- Bobby Abreu, Pat Burrell, Endy Chavez, Kenny Lofton, and Jason Michaels.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 11:02 PM)
Even if the Phillies needed an outfielder, it would take a helluvalot more than Everett to get Wagner.  They already have 5 outfielders -- Bobby Abreu, Pat Burrell, Endy Chavez, Kenny Lofton, and Jason Michaels.

Yeah, they really don't need any outfielders at all. Braves do, but they have no bullpen really.

Guillen clearly denies any trade in the near future.

==================

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

"We've only had three days with them [both healthy]," he said. "We're going to find the best way to resolve the problem, but we are not going to get rid of anyone, because we don't know how Frank is [physically]. I don't know how many games Frank is going to give me."

I have seen a lot of ridiculous things in this thread.

There is too much I want to say, and I don't have the time to say it.

At the very least, let me say that I very much doubt you see a major move...with the possible exception of trading Willie...until after the ASB. The team has shown no real needs that have to be addressed right now to help solidfy the team any further. Some depth to the pen would be nice, but as of right now(talking in the present, for about the next month to month and a half), it is not necessary, because you don't even start making a run for the playoffs yet, since we are not even halfway through the year. We also have a little bit of breathing room, so we are not being pressed to make a move whatsoever.

And let me also say that I honestly doubt you see either Everett or Thomas traded. Everett's leadership and his bat(while streaky, it is still decent) mean too much to the team to be traded. And Thomas is still probably a top 20 offensive player in all of baseball when healthy...you don't find .270 30 100 .420/.530/.950 players growing on trees nor do you even find them on every winning ballclub(though you'll find about 6 each on the Sawks and Yanks :bang )

And...f*** I said I didn't have the time to talk much, and here I am still talking...I do believe what Ozzie said in his follow up. I shouldn't, because I think I've explained myself in one of the 4128 Eric Chavez threads, that you should never listen to anyone within an organization when it comes to stuff like this for various reasons, but I do. I've explained my reasoning above

(and PS...while I don't think the A's are looking to deal Chavez, I don't doubt they are fielding offers for him, and if Beane gets one he can't refuse, I assume he'll make the deal. And quite frankly, the Sox are probably doing the same exact thing here with both Thomas and Everett, and I don't think they'll get an offer good enough to make a deal)

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 01:50 AM)
Haven't seen this mentioned yet, but it was in today's Sun-Times that Guillen refuted reports that the Sox would be trading either Everett or Thomas.

The key is that Ozzie doesn't see the need to trade one of them "yet" to fix the roster.

With comments about both being FA's in 2006, that both are everyday players, etc, Ozzie realizes that they need to be getting a lot ab's. If carl can play the OF to the extent he won't hurt the team too much, then he could stay. But I think the sox will go for more versatility, treat Carl like the pro he is and give him a chance to be an everyday player elsewhere by trading him to a team that will play him, and improve the team in the process by filling a hole somewhere

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 07:21 PM)
I still don't think you watched today's game.  I hope you wouldn't rather have Everett over Frank as our DH.  If you think Everett is a better hitter than Thomas, you are sadly mistaken.

And Frank just turned 37.  Everett is 34.  Is it time for Carl to hang it up as well?

That is until Frank runs too fast again...

I was just thinking with Carl there, it makes it less of an ass-pucker time to have Frank play first. If Car was dealt, and we were looking at Timo as the DH, I'd be screaming for Ozzies head if he played Frank more than a handful of times at first. Now, let Frank play more at first, plus he always has hit better when he's playing defense also. Paulie certainly could use a break, and come in as a late inning defensive replacement in tight games.

I don't think either will be traded. Don't trade Carl, because You can't assume that Frank is 100% and will be the player he was 2 years ago--not yet anyways. Should Frank get hurt again, I do not feel comfortable with Gload, Timo or Ozuna as the everyday DH. Not with this lineup. You're not going to get much for Everett anyways, with his subpar average and OBP, the whisperings about a wrist injury, and lingering questions about his character. If Carl can accept his role as 4th outfielder(at least until Dye s***s or gets off the pot), which I think he will, he's a very valuable bat to come off the bench. Veteran switch-hitting power threats can be VERY important in the late innings of important games.

As for trading Frank, he isn't going anywhere with that contract. Consider it a Roid-less Sammy Sosa arrangement.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)
Rex, I'm not saying those things about Frank aren't true, in fact let's assume they are.  My point is that IF the Sox decided to trade Frank, there would be a backlash from the fans as someone else noted in this thread. In order to calm things down, it wouldn't surprise me if the Sox (KW and Oz) suddenly opened up that bag of dirty laundry.

If Oz opens up the laundry bag it will be him that suffers... :ph34r:

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 07:52 AM)
I don't care either way.

What is thought the Everett / Thomas trade is fluff and Konerko could be moved? He has gotten to the point of uselessness and they stuck with him in 2003 for to long and he was a major reason we fell short and looks the same again this year. Is he the leader/clubhouse presence that we are lead to believe???

Could Thomas be rushed to first??

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 01:38 PM)
I don't think either will be traded.  Don't trade Carl, because You can't assume that Frank is 100% and will be the player he was 2 years ago--not yet anyways.  Should Frank get hurt again, I do not feel comfortable with Gload, Timo or Ozuna as the everyday DH.  Not with this lineup.  You're not going to get much for Everett anyways, with his subpar average and OBP, the whisperings about a wrist injury, and lingering questions about his character.  If Carl can accept his role as 4th outfielder(at least until Dye s***s or gets off the pot), which I think he will, he's a very valuable bat to come off the bench.  Veteran switch-hitting power threats can be VERY important in the late innings of important games.

As for trading Frank, he isn't going anywhere with that contract.  Consider it a Roid-less Sammy Sosa arrangement.

A few things:

*Carl has worth. The "questions about his character" has been cleared up by the sox trading for him 2 times, and everyone saying what a team guy he is.

*If Carl was dealt and Frank got hurt, Gload would play 1b, and PK DH.

*Dye has hit over .300 with an over .600 slg lately. He's getting it together

*The sox will make sure Frank is healthy before making any moves. But you're right, few teams will take on his salary for this yr and next

QUOTE(HSC's Biggest Fan @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 09:05 AM)
What is thought the Everett / Thomas trade is fluff and Konerko could be moved?  He has gotten to the point of uselessness and they stuck with him in 2003 for to long and he was a major reason we fell short and looks the same again this year.  Is he the leader/clubhouse presence that we are lead to believe???

Could Thomas be rushed to first??

The only thing I can comment on is the clubhouse leader thing..

There is not a "leader" by definition in that clubhouse. And from observing.. if I had to name one it would be Mark. I think the misconception of Paul being the "leader" comes from his eagerness to run his mouth every time a reporter steps near him.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 12:11 AM)
I think the misconception of Paul being the "leader" comes from his eagerness to run his mouth every time a reporter steps near him.

And also when Carlos was dealt, and the Sox were trying to justify why they kept Paulie instead of Carlos. Was in a couple of Phil Rogers' articles at the time IIRC.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 09:14 AM)
And also when Carlos was dealt, and the Sox were trying to justify why they kept Paulie instead of Carlos. Was in a couple of Phil Rogers' articles at the time IIRC.

I'm pretty sure the Sox never said Paul was their clubhouse leader..

I would, however, not doubt that Rogers ASSumed that and arranged his words to give that interpretation.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 12:16 AM)
I'm pretty sure the Sox never said Paul was their clubhouse leader..

I would, however, not doubt that Rogers ASSumed that and arranged his words to give that interpretation.

Ozzie has said that Paulie is "my leader", don't know KW's stance on the issue.

But on Konerko, if he keeps hitting below .250, let him go, sign J.T Snow to platoon with Ross Gload until Casey Rogowski (who's crushing it at B-Ham) or Josh Fields (not so good) is ready to take over.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 09:20 AM)
Ozzie has said that Paulie is "my leader", don't know KW's stance on the issue.

Really...? Hmm.. missed that. Although I try to miss most of the crap that spews from Ozzies mouth.

A few things:

*Carl has worth.

I didn't say he had no worth, I said you won't get much for him. And you won't. What is Everett's value right now? An average bullpen guy? A 4th outfielder? Not much more than that.

The "questions about his character" has been cleared up by the sox trading for him 2 times, and everyone saying what a team guy he is.

I think teams make their own decisions. The INdians bringing back Juan Gone a second(or third?) time didn't make every other team end questioning whether he was a selfish player or not.

*If Carl was dealt and Frank got hurt, Gload would play 1b, and PK DH.

6 of one, half-dozen of another. You're missing my point however.

*Dye has hit over .300 with an over .600 slg lately. He's getting it together

I hope you're right, but I wouldn't feel comfortable making the season-long decision on Dye based on the last 2 weeks.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 12:23 AM)
Really...? Hmm.. missed that. Although I try to miss most of the crap that spews from Ozzies mouth.

It was from a Phil Rogers piece during the Cubs Series;

Guillen calls Konerko "my leader," and he certainly is showing why in this series. He overmatched the inexperienced Michael Wuertz in the eighth inning Saturday, turning the game around by driving a 3-2 pitch off Corey Patterson's glove for a two-run single. He had driven in a run on a two-out, 0-2 pitch from Maddux in Friday's series opener, extending an inning that didn't end until after the White Sox had scored two more runs.

I don't believe anything beat writers or columnists write anymore, not that I believed much of their garbage before. I've heard a lot more than the usual contradiction from in and out of the clubhouse lately.